BANNED

Default Is Spider-Man a bystander in his own book?

Recently I read post that said Spider-Man in his recent book is treated as a bystander in his own book? From events of Spider-island, Superior and now Spider Verse.
    Does this hold truth?

As a bystander I don't think so.

Now, is he written as a stupid kid? Totally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    As a bystander I don't think so.

Now, is he written as a stupid kid? Totally.
    What I meant is that he doesn't seem to play much of a focal point in a story like he used to. He's just being written to reacting to everything without much of a solid grasp of a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    What I meant is that he doesn't seem to play much of a focal point in a story like he used to. He's just being written to reacting to everything without much of a solid grasp of a situation.
    As much as it pains me, yeah i would i think it was his gig at horizon and the fact that he encountered a villian or heard about one and in the end created a gadget to beat them.
    Truth is the best policy

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

In his book? hmm, no for the most part I personally don't think he is. In Avengers or any of the other Avengers titles however, he's basically nothing more than a fly on the wall when he's in that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    In his book? hmm, no for the most part I personally don't think he is. In Avengers or any of the other Avengers titles however, he's basically nothing more than a fly on the wall when he's in that.
    That I agree even in the Future Foundation series. But now with Spiderverse it seems he has to play more of a bystander with all these alternate versions of him and the entire story centered around Hop- I mean Silk Spec- I mean Silk, yes it leaves me wondering if Slott has basically lost all interest in writing Parker and is just thawing whatever character he can to avoid writing the main hero.

That I agree even in the Future Foundation series. But now with Spiderverse it seems he has to play more of a bystander with all these alternate versions of him and the entire story centered around Hop- I mean Silk Spec- I mean Silk, yes it leaves me wondering if Slott has basically lost all interest in writing Parker and is just thawing whatever character he can to avoid writing the main hero.
    I wouldn't doubt it. He seems a lot more interested in writing Silver Surfer these days, and ASM seems to be on the backburner for him. His level of interest and priority shows in both books, quality wise. Silver Surfer has been great and the ASM reboot has been a real turd, so far.

I don't think this is true.

Dan Slott seems to like doing stories where someone else has the same powers as Spider-Man, but the point is always that Peter Parker is better at it.

Peter was the clear lead in Spider Island. There was over an year between Spider Island and Superior.

And there's a big Spider-Man story between Superior and Spider Verse.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Slott has never had much interest in writing the character he supposedly loves. During Big Time he spent half the issues with Spider-Man in some kind of team-up. Even in the big stories, the Avengers, Silver Sable, or Black Widow were along for the ride and his big defining story arc was to take Spider-Man out of his own book and replace him with Doctor Octopus. And in the ASM relaunch the first thing he does is retcon his origin to create another Spider-Hero from the same incident, not only making Spider-Man less special and more common, but deflecting attention away from the character once again.

Bystander no. Sidekick yes.

BANNED

Yes, he has. For years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Slott has never had much interest in writing the character he supposedly loves. During Big Time he spent half the issues with Spider-Man in some kind of team-up. Even in the big stories, the Avengers, Silver Sable, or Black Widow were along for the ride and his big defining story arc was to take Spider-Man out of his own book and replace him with Doctor Octopus. And in the ASM relaunch the first thing he does is retcon his origin to create another Spider-Hero from the same incident, not only making Spider-Man less special and more common, but deflecting attention away from the character once again.
    This.

it feels like it at the minute but i think that's all going to change Come ASM #11

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Recently I read post that said Spider-Man in his recent book is treated as a bystander in his own book? From events of Spider-island, Superior and now Spider Verse.
    Does this hold truth?
    You should give the book a look and make your own decision. As you know, people bring a lot of hyperbole into their posts.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs