Default Where to start with Legion?

Hey guys, lately I've started getting interested in the Legion of Super-Heroes. I don't really know what started this new found interest, but here we are. For a bit of background, the only connection I have to them is reading Waid's Threeboot version and Star(boy)man in the One Year Later Justice Society as well as random issues of Superman. I liked the Threeboot a lot, which I know is an unpopular opinion from Legion fans. I contend that it was a great book that would have been appreciated by more people if it wasn't such a hard left turn from typical Legion stories.

Now, even though I enjoy the Threeboot, I'm open to other eras as well. They don't need to emulate that tone. I was thinking of starting to dig for back issues starting with Volume 3. Would that be a good jumping on point? I'm interested and willing to go back further than that. I'd like to eventually get the Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes issues too, but while I'm in grad school I don't have a completely disposable income.

So how lost will I be if I start from the first issue of Vol. 3? It may be a stupid question because I know comics were easier to follow for new readers back then, even without a new number 1.

I may also be interested in the reboot, but I was having trouble figuring out how that worked. So, it rebooted, but did not start with a number 1? Also, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of having to read two titles. If I just stuck with Legion of Super-Heroes and not Legionnaires, would I be missing important and/or quality material? Also, in general, is the reboot era worth it?

Thanks for all of your help guys!

First thing's first. Grab yourself the Great Darkness Saga. It started my interest in the Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    First thing's first. Grab yourself the Great Darkness Saga. It started my interest in the Legion.
    Definitely interested in that. Is it worth looking into Volume 3 at all? My comic book store has a lot of that run but not the first issue so I found a good lot on eBay for pretty cheap and I only have a day left to jump on that.

I believe my store does have the Darkness Sags issues and trade so I’ll hand those to the list next time I’m there.

Thanks!

Retired

I wonder if reading THE GREAT DARKNESS SAGA is the best thing for new readers who want to get into the Legion. Maybe that sets up a certain set of expectations that is bound to be frustrated. I would suggest getting LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES: 1050 YEARS OF THE FUTURE (2008). It's a good sampler for different iterations of the team.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 01-26-2019 at 10:09 AM.

If your public library has the Hoopla service available, there is a lot of Legion version there to try-they have the Legion in the Silver Age Vol. 1, the Abnett/Lanning Legion, the Waid Legion, the Great Darkness Saga, and a few others. You can sample a few eras to see what piques your interest enough to spend your cash on.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

If you want to get into early Legion stories there is Showcase Presents the Legion of Superheroes. Its in black and white but if that doesnt bother you then its a good read. Volumes one and two are less then 20 bucks on Amazon. Then ther is The Legion of Superheroes omnibus that collect the early stuff as well.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If you want a good intro without jumping straight in The Great Darkness Saga the 2 volumes of Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes Dc put out the last few years are both really good. They collect a big chunk of the previously uncollected Legion stuff (issues 234-258 plus the giant sized All New Collectors Edtion c-55 and some other random issues)