Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black Orchid Appreciation (2019)

First appearance: Adventure Comics #428 (July-August 1973)

She went on to be the lead feature for three issues of Adventure Comics then became a back-up feature in The Phantom Stranger a few months later (replacing "The Spawn of Frankenstein"), though her appearances in that title were not in every issue. And a few years after that, she guest-starred in an issue of The Super Friends!

and from
    Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. III (May 1985):

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I loved the original concept for the Orchid and kind of saw her as DCs answer to the Black Widow. I liked what Gaiman did with the re-tooled Vertigo version, but felt something was definitely missing.
    When she was brought back for Justice League Dark I had hoped for a return more to her original roots, but there just hasn't been much done with her at all.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

She made an appearance on BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD.

BlackOrchidBB.jpg

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I love the original Black Orchid the best. Hated the Vertigo version. She seems too similar to Poison Ivy to me. The New 52 version was a decent compromise of the previous 2 versions.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I may be in the minority, but this is my favorite version of Black Orchid.

While Gaiman's mini was superior, the monthly wasn't bad. And those Dave McKean covers?!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

I always wanted to read her Vertigo ongoing series. Is it good? a small summary/analysis would be much appreciated.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I've really enjoyed Orchid in all her incarnations! Don't really know why, perhaps it's that they spent so many years before 'giving her an origin'.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    I always wanted to read her Vertigo ongoing series. Is it good? a small summary/analysis would be much appreciated.
    It is very, very, good. Honestly one of the standouts of the Vertigo era, which when you think about it, is an astronomical complement. The art is also very superb as well, especially the issues drawn by Thompson. The rest of the series, illustrated by Rebecca Guay in large part is quite excellent as well, in a Will Simpson, Duncan Fegredo sort of way, but it is an acquired taste.

I do warn you, however: the crossover with Swamp Thing in ssue 5 is abysmally bad, as well as the annual. Vertigo pretension at it's worst. However, don't let this detract you, the Black Orchid ongoing was, in large, truly terrific. I would place it among the ranks of Shade the Changing Man and Sandman Mystery Theatre.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While not my favorite version of the character, the series was an excellent excellent read. Definitely one of the top tier books to come out of Vertigo.

I've always enjoyed her design and her enigmatic presence. I liked that she got put into the DCU proper in the DCnU, but not sure her membership and characterization in JL Dark was the best for her.

She's one of a number of characters that I want to see get a "home" in the DCU, like Star City or Metropolis or wherever she may thematically best fit as a supporting character, and then let her be someone a team of creators can use in their title(s) with a title-leading character. (Of course, she could be absent from said city and title for a while if a good pitch comes in that takes her on an adventure.)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I've always enjoyed her design and her enigmatic presence. I liked that she got put into the DCU proper in the DCnU, but not sure her membership and characterization in JL Dark was the best for her.

She's one of a number of characters that I want to see get a "home" in the DCU, like Star City or Metropolis or wherever she may thematically best fit as a supporting character, and then let her be someone a team of creators can use in their title(s) with a title-leading character. (Of course, she could be absent from said city and title for a while if a good pitch comes in that takes her on an adventure.)
    Actually a character identified as Black Orchid was briefly a member of the Wonder Woman's all-female Amazons teams during the "Justice League of A" event back in 2001, though I'm not familar enough with the usual character to know whether she was the same one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I loved the original concept for the Orchid and kind of saw her as DCs answer to the Black Widow. I liked what Gaiman did with the re-tooled Vertigo version, but felt something was definitely missing.
    When she was brought back for Justice League Dark I had hoped for a return more to her original roots, but there just hasn't been much done with her at all.
    Yeah, neither Gaiman nor the writers of JLD did the character any favors. Her original adventures were very different than anything else DC was doing at the time, with the possible exception of Rose and the Thorn. I always felt that if these characters had been introduced at Marvel -- they would have gone onto being much more popular than they were at DC.

I will say that Gaiman's mini-series was beautifully rendered --- and had some interesting ideas -- but his character just seemed too different (and weaker) from how the character has previously been portrayed.

Love the original concept for the character. Hope someone brings back the master of disguise and detective element of the character.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    It is very, very, good. Honestly one of the standouts of the Vertigo era, which when you think about it, is an astronomical complement. The art is also very superb as well, especially the issues drawn by Thompson. The rest of the series, illustrated by Rebecca Guay in large part is quite excellent as well, in a Will Simpson, Duncan Fegredo sort of way, but it is an acquired taste.

I do warn you, however: the crossover with Swamp Thing in ssue 5 is abysmally bad, as well as the annual. Vertigo pretension at it's worst. However, don't let this detract you, the Black Orchid ongoing was, in large, truly terrific. I would place it among the ranks of Shade the Changing Man and Sandman Mystery Theatre.
    What a nice compliment: Shade and SMT are my favorite Vertigo series. I will def. check it out.

I am a big fan of the original version of the Black Orchid. The Gaiman version, while excellent, was not really the same character, and I've never seen any version since then (even wearing the original costume) that I've liked as much.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.