Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goldenknight2018 View Post
    Attachment 77723
    Humpfrey Bogart, Ringo Starr and even Elvis Presley read comics

more Adult famous people read comics too
    check it out https://www.pinterest.com/spyvibe/vi...aders/?lp=true
    Maher thinks he too smart, and I hope Maher see Adult famous people read comics in old photos.
    HBO should cancel the show immediately.
    Really? Cancel his show? Over this? I don't know about you, but I can take a few insults, especially when they come from someone I otherwise find funny and even insightful at times.

There are way better reasons Bill Maher should be cancelled. :P

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Sports fans have literally burned down cities.
    Watching a sports team as a 'hobby' and reading a comic are different types of"hobbying" lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    ...something comic book geeks are yet to do (but there's still time).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Never happen they'd just keep arguing the most efficient way to start the blaze... Superman's heat vision, Human Torch, The friction of The Flash, Wonder Woman's pout... Aquaman for some reason etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There are way better reasons Bill Maher should be cancelled. :P
    Bring back Queer As Folk!!

Mighty Member

The people who say comics are for kids are the same ones who say animation is for kids. They’re so unimportant that we’re letting our kids watch and learn from them. Bill Maher is a relic and a dinosaur of a forgotten age. Nobody important actually watches his show so he creates all this controversy so he becomes relevant and he is too irrelevant as he needs to retire.

Stan Lee will be more remembered than Bill Maher ever will be as Bill will be forgotten.

Extraordinary Member

Bill was the weakest link in the film DC Cab.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

By the way, this isn't the first time in recent months that Maher has gone after superheroes/ comics (which he, like many fans to be fair, thinks is the same thing). A little while back he did a New Rules segment about how superhero movies are to blame for Trump. In short, he felt that superhero films showed that people who love them have a deep-seated wish to be saved by superheroes so when a "saviour" like Trump came along, these same people flocked to him. Even ignoring the fact that superhero films and comics are largely pretty damn liberal-leaning, I've seldom seen anyone misunderstand the basic appeal of superheroes quite so significantly. Kids (and adults) don't read superhero comics because they want to be saved by superheroes, they read them because they want to be superheroes. Superheroes are aspritational because they are ideals to strive for. It's literally the opposite of what Maher's point was.

I am generally on the same page as Bill, politically, but I do actually think his willingness to make broad, sweeping generalizations about which he knows very little (comics and, yup, religion) with the same air of authority that he talks about politics - which he has an at least decent grip on - doesn't just make him look like an idiot in these areas but actually goes some way to negate his views on politics for the simple reason that it sows the seeds of doubt that he may not be as knowledgable as he lets on on politics either. I mean, that he is smarmy and smug beyond belief doesn't exactly help but this sort of crap does him no favours either.

Not that I don't still quite enjoy his show, mind you...
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Also, he was dreadful in Body Double.

(Yes, I know that's actually Craig Wasson.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    By the way, this isn't the first time in recent months that Maher has gone after superheroes/ comics (which he, like many fans to be fair, thinks is the same thing). A little while back he did a New Rules segment about how superhero movies are to blame for Trump. In short, he felt that superhero films showed that people who love them have a deep-seated wish to be saved by superheroes so when a "saviour" like Trump came along, these same people flocked to him. Even ignoring the fact that superhero films and comics are largely pretty damn liberal-leaning, I've seldom seen anyone misunderstand the basic appeal of superheroes quite so significantly. Kids (and adults) don't read superhero comics because they want to be saved by superheroes, they read them because they want to be superheroes. Superheroes are aspritational because they are ideals to strive for. It's literally the opposite of what Maher's point was.

I am generally on the same page as Bill, politically, but I do actually think his willingness to make broad, sweeping generalizations about which he knows very little (comics and, yup, religion) with the same air of authority that he talks about politics - which he has an at least decent grip on - doesn't just make him look like an idiot in these areas but actually goes some way to negate his views on politics for the simple reason that it sows the seeds of doubt that he may not be as knowledgable as he lets on on politics either. I mean, that he is smarmy and smug beyond belief doesn't exactly help but this sort of crap does him no favours either.

Not that I don't still quite enjoy his show, mind you...
    This. Exactly. I would love for Bill Maher to just once say, "Look, this is a topic that's been in the news a lot, but I really know very little about it, so here's someone to explain it to me."
    But no, he has to give the impression that he knows everything and is the smartest guy in the room.

I think people are putting way too much stock into Maher's opinion.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think people are putting way too much stock into Maher's opinion.
    You’re right, why do people care what Bill Maher thinks?

goldenknight2018

didn.t you read what Bill says about comic book fans?
    “You can, if you want, like the exact same things you liked when you were 10,” Maher added, “but if you do, you need to grow up. That was the point of my blog. I’m not glad Stan Lee is dead. I’m sad you’re alive.”
    https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/26/bill-ma...oks-real-time/
    That reason why the show must be canceled, and he should be fire. Bill is idiotic; he belongs in a mental hospital. He thinks we are stupid as dodo bird because we read comic books. We are not stupid because we understand and know how to read comics. What Bill says make no sense. he minds not clear enough

Amazing Member

Those who are just shrugging this off and dismissing it as unimportant: would you still be shrugging this off and dismissing it as unimportant if Maher were going after any other group other than comic book nerds? Or is it perfectly fine because, oh well, it's just comic book nerds. It's OK to trample all over them.

That last quote was a quote from a bully trying to bully comic book fans. He should get what all bullies get for that!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by rogersmcfeely View Post
    Those who are just shrugging this off and dismissing it as unimportant: would you still be shrugging this off and dismissing it as unimportant if Maher were going after any other group other than comic book nerds? Or is it perfectly fine because, oh well, it's just comic book nerds. It's OK to trample all over them.
    I'd shrug it off no matter what he says, because I don't care about Bill Maher.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'd shrug it off no matter what he says, because I don't care about Bill Maher.
    Missing the point bro. It's not important who said it. Could've been some nobody at a Starbucks somewhere. The problem isn't even that it was said, but that people are so blase about it.