Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default We don't deserve ALL-STAR SUPERMAN.

I stumbled across the new Black Label TPB on a library shelf and was like, "I want to read that again!" God, it's just as glorious as I remembered. Every page is sheer joy transmuted into physical form and compressed into a paper-thin sheet.

I have nothing much to say beyond that. Just wanted to share the afterglow.

[humming contentedly to self]

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Co-Signed!

Incredible Member

Absolutely thirded. I tend to refer to that story as my comic book Woodstock.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think it does for Superman what Year One and the Dark Knight do for Batman. It reinvents the entire mythology and reinforces why they myth stays timeless. The story is so good, but the artwork is really what makes it so unique.

Yeah, Frank Quitely is officially my favorite comics penciller, and this book is no small part of the reason why.

I also think All-Star is the best example of Morrison's skill with comedy dialogue writing, something which is generally overlooked when people discuss all of the other, more obviously Morrisonian aspects of his work. The banter among the Daily Planet staff is consistently amusing, and often hilarious. The issue in prison with Clark and Lex is also exquisitely written - I'd forgotten that among other things, it's an extended piss-take on Luther's overweening self-regard. And the Bizarros are hysterical, too.

The way it combines light, even arguably campy, fun with poignant emotion is extraordinary, as well as how Morrison delves into a cerebral examination of how superhero stories work while entirely avoiding the "dark and gritty" route that's so often implied by such ambitions.

I dunno what you're all talking about. I totally deserve All-Star!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

All Star Superman is my go to as the perfect example of what a superhero comic should be.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We and the character deserve All Star. We deserve more of its like and quality on a more regular basis than we get

I consider it as the true companion to BTAS in that it distills one of their big two characters down to his bare essentials in a beautiful, accessible way. The only flaw is Lois, and that's more in her not being utilized as much as she should be, not that it is a terrible take on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Yeah, Frank Quitely is officially my favorite comics penciller, and this book is no small part of the reason why.

I also think All-Star is the best example of Morrison's skill with comedy dialogue writing, something which is generally overlooked when people discuss all of the other, more obviously Morrisonian aspects of his work. The banter among the Daily Planet staff is consistently amusing, and often hilarious. The issue in prison with Clark and Lex is also exquisitely written - I'd forgotten that among other things, it's an extended piss-take on Luther's overweening self-regard. And the Bizarros are hysterical, too.

The way it combines light, even arguably campy, fun with poignant emotion is extraordinary, as well as how Morrison delves into a cerebral examination of how superhero stories work while entirely avoiding the "dark and gritty" route that's so often implied by such ambitions.
    "The way it combines light, even arguably campy, fun with poignant emotion is extraordinary"

Yes, I loved the way you put it. It's what's so missing from Zack Snyder's Superman. He takes it so seriously that kills the heart that was there, mostly in BvS. I never feel depressed reading All Star. It's such a wonderful story and tone. I feel the new film Aquaman is a lot like that and that's why I love it. It's funny but so earnest at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno what you're all talking about. I totally deserve All-Star!
    Me too!

It's one of my top two favorite comics with Dark Knight Returns. I can' read it over and over again and not get tired of it.

Ok, maybe the rest of you deserve All-Star Superman, but I sure don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Co-Signed!
    This, what more can I say? Oh, I know. The story is my favorite Superman tale of all time bar none.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Ok, maybe the rest of you deserve All-Star Superman, but I sure don't.
    Yes you do. Don't let DC hear you, they won't give us more unless we buy and demand it!

I keep hoping All-Star's movie to the Black Label is an indicator we will be getting more content related to it. That is, if Batman's penis hasn't completely destroyed this imprint...

If people have trouble getting what's interesting about a traditional Superman, I point to this. Even if they're opinion doesn't change, they would walk away with a better understanding why other's opinions are different.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I deserve All Star, we all do. It's a birthright as Superman fans. We've gone through so much.