Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's with this two against one stuff?

This isn't meant to be taken too seriously but I was at a sci fi con a while after the Phantom Menace came out and I remember a group of us including the convention's Master of Ceremonies getting into a discussion and the MC commented on the fight with Obi-Wan and Qui Gon versus Maul. He was basically saying: What's with this two against one garbage? I don't care if he does have a two-bladed lightsaber that can be wielded as a staff so he can defend against both of them. These guys are Jedi/ Chivalric Knights/ Samurai. Don't they have a code of honor? Equal weapons? One against one? This is a fantasy of pure good vs pure evil. What's with this cowardly two against one garbage?

I hadn't thought about it that much but when I first saw the movie, I kind of was cheering for Darth Maul because it was two against one and kind of was reacting like, "You got what you deserved, Qui Gon, for not fighting him one on one".

Silly I know. Hmm, maybe that's why I kind of dislike team comics unless the opponents are also a team.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    This isn't meant to be taken too seriously but I was at a sci fi con a while after the Phantom Menace came out and I remember a group of us including the convention's Master of Ceremonies getting into a discussion and the MC commented on the fight with Obi-Wan and Qui Gon versus Maul. He was basically saying: What's with this two against one garbage? I don't care if he does have a two-bladed lightsaber that can be wielded as a staff so he can defend against both of them. These guys are Jedi/ Chivalric Knights/ Samurai. Don't they have a code of honor? Equal weapons? One against one? This is a fantasy of pure good vs pure evil. What's with this cowardly two against one garbage?

I hadn't thought about it that much but when I first saw the movie, I kind of was cheering for Darth Maul because it was two against one and kind of was reacting like, "You got what you deserved, Qui Gon, for not fighting him one on one".

Silly I know. Hmm, maybe that's why I kind of dislike team comics unless the opponents are also a team.
    I kinda thought that the "cinematic language," for lack of a better word, told us that two-against one was a fair fight for Maul (I mean, he only loses because Obi-Wan "cheats" with the Force). Also, this is the franchise where fans where okay with a hero shooting an enemy under the table without any kind of fairness to the killing...
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Kind of funny that in both AOTC and ROTS Dooku quickly neutralizes at least one of the combatants.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Why are the avengers teaming up on that poor thanos? What a bunch of bullies. Where is their code of honor? Just let ant-man do it and if people die it's ok because it's right thing to do!

Joking aside it's the same as big comic bad guys like dr doom and magneto. They are deadly killers who can kill just one jedi on their own. Two that jedi might live. Watch the clone wars cartoons to see how deadly sith can be.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I kinda thought that the "cinematic language," for lack of a better word, told us that two-against one was a fair fight for Maul (I mean, he only loses because Obi-Wan "cheats" with the Force). Also, this is the franchise where fans where okay with a hero shooting an enemy under the table without any kind of fairness to the killing...
    But Han wasn't a Jedi. [Again, I'm not taking this seriously. It's just something to gab about].

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of funny that in both AOTC and ROTS Dooku quickly neutralizes at least one of the combatants.
    Yeah I thought there was an implication that the Sith inherently cheat by tapping into the Dark Side. "Quicker, easier, more seductive..." They are inherently more powerful in a raw power sort of way because they will sacrifice anything for raw power.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Why are the avengers teaming up on that poor thanos? What a bunch of bullies. Where is their code of honor? Just let ant-man do it and if people die it's ok because it's right thing to do!

Joking aside it's the same as big comic bad guys like dr doom and magneto. They are deadly killers who can kill just one jedi on their own. Two that jedi might live. Watch the clone wars cartoons to see how deadly sith can be.
    Oh I know. Dr. Doom is as powerful as the FF put together and almost always has the situational advantage too. I'm just basing this on a person's instinctive reaction and the fantasy ideal of what the Jedi are, not practical real world stuff.

But Han wasn't a Jedi. [Again, I'm not taking this seriously. It's just something to gab about].
    Sure.

I guess maybe the Jedi's rules of combat are more comparable to modern military ethics then fantasy knights'?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Honor is for scrubs. I'm sorry but if your putting your life in a duel you'll be stupid to not take every advantage you can get. Creating to a fight likely to the death is asinine

Empty is thy hand!

This is a fantasy of pure good vs pure evil.
    No it's not, and that is why you fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Honor is for scrubs. I'm sorry but if your putting your life in a duel you'll be stupid to not take every advantage you can get. Creating to a fight likely to the death is asinine
    Um, "creating".

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    No it's not, and that is why you fail.
    That's how it started though.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You're trying to apply the standards of reality to an epic fantasy of noble knights versus ultimate evil.

Extraordinary Member

Because it's really dumb to not use your superior numbers if you have that advantage.

And being "honorable" with one on one duels is for situations when such honor is required. When a strong sith who most certainly would never use the same kind reasoning pops up, you team up and kick his ass because otherwise you're going to die and you'll probably fail your mission.
    You're trying to apply the standards of reality to an epic fantasy of noble knights versus ultimate evil.
    When those standards are common sense and none of the movies prior have ever established any "We must only fight one on one" nonsense then those standards take precedence over the epic fantasy setting.

Eh, it's not like they ambushed Maul when he was stepping out of the shower or something. Maul challenged them knowing it was 2v1 because, frankly, he was just that much better than them when it came to dueling.

Besides, I don't think that Jedi have ever been portrayed as being the type of people who bet everything on 1v1 honor duels regardless of how serious the situation is.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 01-29-2019 at 11:20 AM.