Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Eh, it's not like they ambushed Maul when he was stepping out of the shower or something. Maul challenged them knowing it was 2v1 because, frankly, he was just that much better than them when it came to dueling.

Besides, I don't think that Jedi have ever been portrayed as being the type of people who bet everything on 1v1 honor duels regardless of how serious the situation is.
    I was afraid this whole thing would turn serious.

On the one hand, I don't think the Jedi are going to hand control of the galaxy over to evil on the basis of fighting one against one duels.

On the other hand, I think the writers knew that audiences prefer main heroes to win on a one against one level. That's why they kept introducing deus ex machinas to turn the fight into a one against one between Gui Gonn and Maul, first by having Obi Wan put out of the fight by a kick that sent him flying down a level and then by the convenience of the force field keeping him out of the fight until it was over and then continued as a one on one between Obi Wan and Maul.

So there's a common sense factor but it's tempered by knowing what the audience generally wants.
    Power with Girl is better.

If you think about it, Maul had been training all his life to kill Jedi, while Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan believed that the Sith were extinct. The biggest threats they seemed to face were battle droids that went down without much resistance. A major theme of the prequels seemed to be how complacency leads to ruin.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    You're trying to apply the standards of reality to an epic fantasy of noble knights versus ultimate evil.
    I'm applying common sense. The type of people to apply crap concepts like honor likely never been in a fight before. Sports exist if they want a fight with a code of conduct.

Nice quote here though, alas, I don't know who said it: "There is honor in war, and there must be for it to be a war that can be won. This doesn’t mean that fighting soldiers adhere to some idealistic code of chivalry. It means that when your buddy needs you, you have his back."
    Power with Girl is better.