Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Does “star power” really affect animated films, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Does “star power” really affect animated films, though?
    I think marketing and execs think it does, but ultimately I don't think it really does in the long-run.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    After this next weekend , I'll hold off listing anymore 2019 Box Office busts unless a film like Playmobil totally crashes and burns. A big reason is the next few weeks , the films total take won't be known til 2020. "Richard Jewell , 1917 , Cats, etc" are getting released in the final week or two of 2019. So I'll hold off listing them here. There is 1 more weekend though and I'll list what happens.
    You left off the big screen Faux News wet dream Bombshell. I think it’s safe to assume that flick along with the other three movies are going to be pummeled by Star Wars, especially Richard Jewell which comes out the same day.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You left off the big screen Faux News wet dream Bombshell. I think it’s safe to assume that flick along with the other three movies are going to be pummeled by Star Wars, especially Richard Jewell which comes out the same day.
    I mean its highlighting sexual harassment in Fox news so I'd hardly say its a wet dream.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I mean its highlighting sexual harassment in Fox news so I'd hardly say its a wet dream.
    It is for them since it gives Rupert Murdoch's wretched network salacious publicity it doesn't deserve given how it became a shameless propaganda arm for Donald Trump and the GOP.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-12-2019 at 04:12 AM.

Even though it opened in only 2,500 theaters compared to nearly twice that for Frozen II and Jumanji: The Next Level, Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell looks to be DOA, having pulled in only $5 million in it's opening weekend.

I heard Cats is heading for a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I heard Cats is heading for a flop.
    Well, it's coming out at the same time as the new Star Wars film, so that's pretty much a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, it's coming out at the same time as the new Star Wars film, so that's pretty much a certainty.
    For a while, it felt as if it will become a sleeper hit, I would still keep my fingers crossed, star wars is not the behemoth is used to be. if I remember 2 years ago. greatest showman and Jumanji more then held their own against Last Jedi to everyone's surprise.

Cats will be fine. They werent stupid in putting it up against Star Wars theirs some sound logic behind it.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well after a string of box office bombs , 21st Century Fox had their last big live action film of 2019 pass its production budget mark and is destined to cross $100+ million this week. I'm sure Disney will be happy. Now.....lets look at some BUSTS.

Total Box Office : $13.4+ million (Worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $75 million

As the picture shows (if it does here) this film was supposed to open in August but was pushed back. Also the fact no one knew this film existed didn't help either. Playmobil was produced and made overseas by a group that put $75 million into it. STX bought distribution of the film and tried to salvage it with a promotion they ran but not many wanted to go see this. The films domestic opening only did $992,000+ . That was for a 3 day weekend. Yes..that was a 3 day opening weekend.

Total Box Office : $112+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $100 million

This is the 2nd film in the last 40+ years to focus on the famous Battle of Midway. That film called "Midway" in 1976 was a big budget war film with an all-star cast that did very well at box office. 43 years later Lionsgate decided on a new "Midway" starring Woody Harrleson , Luke Evans and Mandy Moore. The film bombed on opening weekend and hung around November and December. Til finally falling out of top 10. The movie only domestically did $52+ million.

There are 2 markets left for Midway to open but those markets aren't big and the film won't be doing any better than we see.

Now while I'd list Richard Jewell given its weak opening , its full markets start opening internationally in January. So it will be possibly included on the 2020 list.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Arent Lionsgate just effectively remaking their old library ?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Being horror movie the second remake of Black Christmas may have a shoestring budget but it didn't have a strong debut this weekend. Might be one to keep an eye on.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Being horror movie the second remake of Black Christmas may have a shoestring budget but it didn't have a strong debut this weekend. Might be one to keep an eye on.
    Its budget was $5 million and it did $4.4 million opening weekend. It won't do major box office. But its gonna make its production budget back the next week and Universal will be ok with it. The film won't do big as a horror flick , but it won't be a bomb.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I’ve heard the early reviews of Cats are almost universally negative. Case in point: the score on Rotten Tomatoes was at 20 percent as of this morning. It was a given Cats would be declawed and lose all nine lives to Star Wars, but bad press on top of that sure won’t help.