Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default 2019 Box Office Busts

In 2018 from May to December 2018 there was 20 Box Office busts or bombs if you want to say that. Some films had small budgets like "Action Point" with Johnny Knoxville but couldn't return its $19+ million dollar budget at the box office. Then you had epic disasters like "A Wrinkle In Time" that cost Disney a couple hundred million as a bomb. So what do we start the year with ? Lets look at some Keanu.

Total Box Office : $7.8 million (worldwide)

Total Budget : $30+ million

This film was coming from a new studio called "Entertainment Studios" and well it showed. In fact it has only done $3.9+ million domestically thus far and is considered Keanu Reeves worse opening ever. The film was so bad that within its 2nd week it did $400,000+ . Within 2-3 weeks its down to 60+ screens. But here is what is wild is , Entertainment Studios has released 6 films counting Replicas and if you look here ...each film has done worse domestically than the last one. So its a question why this studio continues and how they can at this rate.

But the year starts off with a huge epic bomb. The only saving grace is the studio only put $10+ million into advertising this film as promotion according to a report from Deadline.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

So did Keanu shoot anybody in the face in this movie? No? Meh, hard pass.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The latest Box Office bust is one which is a kids film...

Total Box Office : $21.5 million

Total Budget : $59 Million

Another reason Fox was sold is the fact they have had a run of box office bombs the last couple years. This latest one was a kids film that starred Patrick Stewart in a role. The movie was released a few weeks ago and quickly dropped out of the top ten. Its only done $15+ million domestically. Its unlikely to make its money back at this stage.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Another reason Fox was sold is the fact they have had a run of box office bombs the last couple years. This latest one was a kids film that starred Patrick Stewart in a role. The movie was released a few weeks ago and quickly dropped out of the top ten. Its only done $15+ million domestically. Its unlikely to make its money back at this stage.
    Holy diversity John Byrne! What, no wheelchair kid named rocket? What a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Holy diversity John Byrne! What, no wheelchair kid named rocket? What a disaster.

I mean if you WANT to sound like a racist sure.

The movie is set in London. London is incredibly diverse. Having 3 White characters, one Asian character and a Black character is roughly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I mean if you WANT to sound like a racist sure.

The movie is set in London. London is incredibly diverse. Having 3 White characters, one Asian character and a Black character is roughly correct.
    Ya I don't see what the problem is the kids are fine...allso the movie was pretty good.

40% of London isn't white, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 02-21-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Looks like an old Benetton ads.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Alita: Battle Angel might end up here if the international box office doesn't save it. Finally a good Hollywood anime adaption and it might tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Alita: Battle Angel might end up here if the international box office doesn't save it. Finally a good Hollywood anime adaption and it might tank.
    I believe it has not yet opened in Japan/China.

That movie should have been right u my ally but I didn't even knew it existed utnil a few weeks ago and still don't undertand what it was about so I skipped it.

I feel like the marketing was off or something
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    That movie should have been right u my ally but I didn't even knew it existed utnil a few weeks ago and still don't undertand what it was about so I skipped it.

I feel like the marketing was off or something
    The cgi is on point & the fighting is INSANE. Alita is one of those movies that should be seen on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

The big problem is that this movie was marketed as a generic direct-to-video flick rather than as a thoughtful all-ages piece. The movie has excellent reviews from critics (an 88% score on RT) and it was written and directed by Joe Cornish, who wowed everybody with his much more adult-driven Attack the Block and continued on with writing Ant-Man. This was a passion project of his, but the ads painted it as a factory-churned cable flick.

This is an exaggeration, but it'd be like if John Carpenter decided to make a movie for his family from scratch and live-action Nickelodeon execs got their hands on it.

Yeah, this post was completely unnecessary. It would've been unnecessary 50 years ago (especially in London; there were already kids of color in their educational programs and Doctor Who), but this is 2019, man.
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-21-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Alita has a big hill to climb to even break even at this point. It is not impossible for it to make a profit, but it is going to have to be huge in China and Japan for that to happen. I think this was another case of just having too high a production budget for an untested property. Box Office Mojo has the production budget listed as 170 but I have heard others say it was closer to 200 or even more. You go that big on your budget and you don't hit right out of the gate you usually end up with a disapointing return.

I blame the marketing. The trailers for Alita were just a robot girl fighting stuff, jumping around in fairly generic post-apocalyptic settings and being emotional. The big anime eyes, they just feel like a gimmick. Marketing for the movie made it easy to put the movie into a well-known box and ignore it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.