Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Once again, it's a Jim Jarmusch movie. No one involved in this expected a blockbuster.

Go look at his filmography. He's a wonderful and important filmmaker, but he doesn't make big hits, and no one gives him money expecting one.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Downton Abbey still has the magic as the movie cleaned up at the box office this weekend, raking in $31 million, easily besting the much hyped Ad Astra which came in second, managing only $19 million on a reputed budget of $90 million. Does that make the Brad Pitt sci-fi flick a bust, or it too early to make that determination?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Downton Abbey still has the magic as the movie cleaned up at the box office this weekend, raking in $31 million, easily besting the much hyped Ad Astra which came in second, managing only $19 million on a reputed budget of $90 million. Does that make the Brad Pitt sci-fi flick a bust, or it too early to make that determination?
    I usually wait a few weeks before making a judgement on it. Disney has to hope it works. Because its been a huge down year on 21st Century Fox films. Its not a good sign that a British period film with a budget of $13-20 million beat a big budgeted Hollywood film. Not a good sign for Ad Astra.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I saw the trailer maybe 3 times on TV and I don't think it ever showed up at my local theater.
    Same, it was no where near me. I can't help but wonder if it will get re-released or more widely released nearer to Halloween.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I heard about it plenty. I was actually kind of surprised how much I heard about it.
    Not even Box Office Mojo has a budget listed, but I heard about it a lot because there werr ads all over Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Not even Box Office Mojo has a budget listed, but I heard about it a lot because there werr ads all over Youtube.
    I tried The Numbers , IMDB and Wiki. But there wasn't a budget last I saw for it either.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I usually wait a few weeks before making a judgement on it. Disney has to hope it works. Because its been a huge down year on 21st Century Fox films. Its not a good sign that a British period film with a budget of $13-20 million beat a big budgeted Hollywood film. Not a good sign for Ad Astra.
    To be fair it's a period film with 6 successful TV seasons worth of fanbase behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    To be fair it's a period film with 6 successful TV seasons worth of fanbase behind it.
    Also Victorian period pieces are actually somewhat cheap to produce in England - not only is enough of the architecture intact, they do so many that the costumes can be priced on the economy of scale.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Its been awhile....time to look at some BOMBS. There are 2 to look at folks and one is by a big name actor.

Total Box Office : $120.8+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $97 million

Disney's woes with 21st Century Fox's film slate continues into fall 2019. This film starred Brad Pitt and many felt it would reverse the tide of bombs that 21st Century was releasing through the year. Instead the film landed with a thud on opening weekend and has only grossed $47.7+ million domestically. I gave it a few weeks to see if it would manage to hold up as well as giving the international take awhile. But the numbers are in and Ad Astra will fall out of top #10 this weekend.

Total Box Office : $9.3+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $45 million

The Goldfinch should have been done weeks ago but I missed it. The film starred Nicole Kidman and was based off the book. But confusing trailers didn't help and the drama film seemed like a boring affair. It too landed with a thud in opening weekend and never could recover.

Well it appears IMDB now has taken over Box Office Mojo's website. The site has had a complete revamp.

Gemini man is a huge dud! Will smith had his highest grossing movie (Aladdin) and worst grossing movie in the same year!

Film could lose the studio $161m! It's one of the biggest bombs this year!

Shades of Multiplicity. Remember when Michael Keaton was so popular that someone decided to star him multiple times in the same movie!? Good times.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Gemini man is a huge dud! Will smith had his highest grossing movie (Aladdin) and worst grossing movie in the same year!

Film could lose the studio $161m! It's one of the biggest bombs this year!

LOLZ! $275 million needed just to break even and the movie has just covered 30% after one week. Who thought that the public demands to see a CGI packed Will Smith movie fighting...Will Smith?

I can't even.

Astonishing Member

LOLZ! $275 million needed just to break even and the movie has just covered 30% after one week. Who thought that the public demands to see a CGI packed Will Smith movie fighting...Will Smith?
    The budget for that is insane, but at least Hollywood tried something new. It's a tough movie to market conceptually. The big surprise in the movie is the "twist", but once it's spoiled you have no desire to see it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    The budget for that is insane, but at least Hollywood tried something new. It's a tough movie to market conceptually. The big surprise in the movie is the "twist", but once it's spoiled you have no desire to see it.
    Will Smith fighting his younger clone is suppose to be the twist? Their entire marketing campaign revolve around that.