Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Alita has a big hill to climb to even break even at this point. It is not impossible for it to make a profit, but it is going to have to be huge in China and Japan for that to happen. I think this was another case of just having too high a production budget for an untested property. Box Office Mojo has the production budget listed as 170 but I have heard others say it was closer to 200 or even more. You go that big on your budget and you don't hit right out of the gate you usually end up with a disapointing return.
    I heard it was 220 but the got 50 in tax rebates

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The latest Box Office bust was released in Feb.

Total Box Office : $46.5+ million

Total Production Budget : $60 million

Liam Neeson has done countless revenge action films becoming a huge star from the Taken films to even fighting wolves in "The Gray". Almost every major film that Neeson has starred in since the Taken series has done well. Til this one arrived. Perhaps it was the controversy over his statements he made a week or two before release that caused it. Or perhaps at 66 Neeson's aging out of the whole action/revenge genre that fans loved him in from his 50's. Either way Cold Pursuit has now dropped out of the top 10 and only did $29+ million domestically here. It has 2 markets left but doesn't seem likely to rebound the film.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Could it be that people are a little uncomfortable at the prospect of a Liam Neeson revenge film now?

These Neeson/revenge flicks are increasingly repetitive. The wolf one was a great spin on the "fighting Neeson" action flick. I recommend Liam has to step up to fighting monsters now or he'll lose his audience. See a "Creature from the Black Lagoon" remake is right in his wheelhouse. A fearsome gillman takes his girl & Liam has to pursue them through the rainforest to get her back.

**** rights itself.

Honestly I think Neeson needs to do what DeNiro did and move into that role of scary grandfather type roles in comedies and more. He would make a great sitcom grandfather who moves in and scares the crap out of a young guy who is married to his grand daughter.

"So what did your grandfather do exactly ?"

"Well mom likes to joke he was a spy for MI6. But we all think he worked as a contractor."

They can play off his tough guy image and his accent.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Problem is its going to be difficult to sell anything to a black audience

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Honestly I think Neeson needs to do what DeNiro did and move into that role of scary grandfather type roles in comedies and more. He would make a great sitcom grandfather who moves in and scares the crap out of a young guy who is married to his grand daughter.

"So what did your grandfather do exactly ?"

"Well mom likes to joke he was a spy for MI6. But we all think he worked as a contractor."

They can play off his tough guy image and his accent.
    I like that. I hope for the rest of his career he plays "fighting Neeson" in some sort of capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I like that. I hope for the rest of his career he plays "fighting Neeson" in some sort of capacity.
    He did do a comedy appearance in Ted 2 as well playing up that image.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

This is an exaggeration, but it'd be like if John Carpenter decided to make a movie for his family from scratch and live-action Nickelodeon execs got their hands on it.
    LOL. that actually sounds pretty good! I'll have to check this one out later. gotta admit that the trailer I saw didn't sell me on the film, though.

BANNED

Looking like we can add Captive State to the list.

How about Dumbo's chances of being one of Disney's rare bombs? The movie seems really bland from what I can see and the original has quite a bit of racist baggage (which might factor in).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    How about Dumbo's chances of being one of Disney's rare bombs? The movie seems really bland from what I can see and the original has quite a bit of racist baggage (which might factor in).
    I doubt we will see the crows as in the original. If at all.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I doubt we will see the crows as in the original. If at all.
    Yea the way Jungle Book adjusted King Louie the Crows if they even appear would be equally adjusted lol. And iono I have no desire to see that movie but I saw tracking suggesting 70-80m like a week ago. Iono what it's at now

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I can see Dumbo doing Mary Poppins Returns numbers to be honest. It won't lose money, but it is not going to be a huge hit either. Tim Burton has been running on fumes for so long now. Big Fish was the last movie that he made that was even close to good. Plus your taking a property with talking animals and taking that out of it for kid and dad drama. Boring.

Are people excited for Dumbo? Even as a kid I was indifferent on the original. I guess if I was a parent this is something I could take my kids to
    The J-man