Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Are people excited for Dumbo? Even as a kid I was indifferent on the original. I guess if I was a parent this is something I could take my kids to
    Not me. And yah even as a kid seeing the movie - it was really meh. Thats why I'm wondering if it will be the next bomb. The trailers do nothing for me either, to make it seem exciting.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

I want watch any remake of my childhood animated movies from Disney anymore, doesnt matter how good the CGI today is.

Normally I'd say just being a disney kids movie would be enough to keep it from bombing, but the promotion's been lackluster, and unlike other disney remakes there's very little buzz surrounding it.With Shazam coming out a week later, and competing for a similar audience, if it doesn't have a big opening it could be screwed.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

As a kid, Dumbo really really tugged on the heartstrings. Of course it induced nightmares, but Momma cradling Dumbo outside the cage will always have a place in my soul.

Just for that alone I'm kind of curious to see a CGI remake.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I want watch any remake of my childhood animated movies from Disney anymore, doesnt matter how good the CGI today is.
    At some point, it's not really live action if there's that much CGI. (Felt the same way about Jungle Book)

The trailer looked really bleah and it's not considered one of the better stories anyway. I would be surprised if it put up a big number....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    At some point, it's not really live action if there's that much CGI. (Felt the same way about Jungle Book)
    That would rule out every star wars movie since Phantom Menace, as well.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI_HdljUIAMAbMmprBG8ov4rIYwmQd7-i0gbgteUBW2Ie6Xort[/IMG]

Total Box Office : $5.3+ million

Total Production Budget : $25 Million

Captive State was a sci-fi thriller film that originally was supposed to come out in August of 2018 but was pushed back to March. The film quickly arrived and bombed dropping out of the top #10. Its only done $5.2 million in the US alone thus far. The movie stars John Goodman and Machine Gun Kelly.

Total Box Office : $399.8+ Million

Total Production Budget : $170 Million

This was the final big budget release by 21st Century Fox before the sale to Disney was done. The film also marks the highest earning film by Robert Rodriquez who directed it and James Cameron who helped write the film. Sadly the film did not do well with western audiences here ($83+ million) and has only done $399+ million. Its said the film to get a sequel would be to do $450-500 million.

Of course with the Disney buyout we may not see that happen either.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am not sure if The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is a complete bomb or not since I have no idea its production budget, but the total box office is not good though with it making almost 300 million less than the first Lego movie. It seems to have topped out at about 180 million worldwide which not matter who they spin it has to be a major disapointment for the studio.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    [IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI_HdljUIAMAbMmprBG8ov4rIYwmQd7-i0gbgteUBW2Ie6Xort[/IMG]

Total Box Office : $5.3+ million

Total Production Budget : $25 Million

Captive State was a sci-fi thriller film that originally was supposed to come out in August of 2018 but was pushed back to March. The film quickly arrived and bombed dropping out of the top #10. Its only done $5.2 million in the US alone thus far. The movie stars John Goodman and Machine Gun Kelly.

This was the final big budget release by 21st Century Fox before the sale to Disney was done. The film also marks the highest earning film by Robert Rodriquez who directed it and James Cameron who helped write the film. Sadly the film did not do well with western audiences here ($83+ million) and has only done $399+ million. Its said the film to get a sequel would be to do $450-500 million.

Seeing that was the film being used to attack Cap marvel-I wouldn't be shocked if Disney didn't allow a sequel to happen. Since those attackers never bothered to go see the film.

And Captive State is a victim of it's competition. Even if you took Cap Marvel out-Jordan Peeple's US would have killed it too. A film that made back its budget in one weekend.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    [

I was waiting to see if someone would try to nominate Alita for this thread, can't say I believe such slander is warranted. Save the accusations of 'busts' for the likes of John Carter, Mortal Engines and Valerian; truly atrocious movies that never even made back their production budgets. Conversely, Alita already exceeded the pessimistic expectations of the trades and performed strongly oversees. Particular in China where Alita has been extended for an extra month beyond its originally planned run. The ancillaries like Blu-ray and video streaming with further secure Alita's position and pave the way for those sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Seeing that was the film being used to attack Cap marvel-I wouldn't be shocked if Disney didn't allow a sequel to happen. Since those attackers never bothered to go see the film.
    Your faith in Disney's vindictiveness is certainly commendable, few corporations can match Disney when it comes to short-sighted decisions at the expense of long-term profits. Fortunately then the future of Alita isn't up to Disney, it's up to James Cameron. It might interest you to know that James Cameron, through his production company, owns the rights to Alita films since 2000. If Disney doesn't want to play ball then James Cameron can always go to other studios to make Alita 2 and 3 happen. Even Netflix and Amazon would be good fits for Alita, they're throwing around big money to challenge Hollywood directly and Alita would be just perfect as a flagship movie franchise for those digital platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post

Your faith in Disney's vindictiveness is certainly commendable, few corporations can match Disney when it comes to short-sighted decisions at the expense of long-term profits. Fortunately then the future of Alita isn't up to Disney, it's up to James Cameron. It might interest you to know that James Cameron, through his production company, owns the rights to Alita films since 2000. If Disney doesn't want to play ball then James Cameron can always go to other studios to make Alita 2 and 3 happen. Even Netflix and Amazon would be good fits for Alita, they're throwing around big money to challenge Hollywood directly and Alita would be just perfect as a flagship movie franchise for those digital platforms.
    That is nice thought but company doesn't invest in millions into project like that without guarantees ,Highly doubt Cameron has complete ownership over the rights of the project to just walk way over a disagreement. Once funding is green light by movie studio I am fairly certain they buy in and have certain guarantees. Like the kind of guarantees that keep you from walking and going to another company. You are seeing it with Netflix and Marvel for example, Marvel can't just use Luke Cage and Daredevil even though Netfllix has cancel it they are clause in place in this case Marvel can't use these characters in show for two years. We don't know contracts involved but we do know had a significant budget about 200 million and probably had at least 100 million in Marketing campaign. The future was very much with Fox and probably now Disney. Unless you think companies are in habit of investing 300 million into something and not have control of it

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That is nice thought but company doesn't invest in millions into project like that without guarantees ,Highly doubt Cameron has complete ownership over the rights of the project to just walk way over a disagreement. Once funding is green light by movie studio I am fairly certain they buy in and have certain guarantees. Like the kind of guarantees that keep you from walking and going to another company. You are seeing it with Netflix and Marvel for example, Marvel can't just use Luke Cage and Daredevil even though Netfllix has cancel it they are clause in place in this case Marvel can't use these characters in show for two years. We don't know contracts involved but we do know had a significant budget about 200 million and probably had at least 100 million in Marketing campaign. The future was very much with Fox and probably now Disney. Unless you think companies are in habit of investing 300 million into something and not have control of it
    Truth is if Cameron takes Alita Battle Angel anywhere it will be with Disney's blessing his real baby is the Avatar sequels which he is now in bed with Disney deep with first with Pandora land now the actual films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That's the kind of influence James Cameron has in Hollywood, this is the man who created the highest grossing movie of all time twice over, he can dictate terms to the studios. As it stands the deal he made with Fox for Alita was actually a combo with Avatar. Fox essentially gave James Cameron a blank check for 1 billion dollars to make Avatar 2, Avatar 3 and Alita under Robert Rodriguez. Fox had the rights to Avatar but they never had any control over Alita, that always remained with James Cameron and his production company. So yeah, if he needs to James Cameron can easily take Alita 2 and 3 to any studio that he wants and there's not a thing Disney can do about it.

It's hard to know how much buzz there is among kids themselves for Dumbo.

We can tell that online and among movie critics & movie buffs, there is pretty much zero anticipation for it, but for the 5-to-7 year olds out there, they may be on pins and needles for it. But the voices of that age group aren't really heard online or social media.

I don't see a ton of teenagers going to see Dumbo, and I don't know how much nostalgia factor there is among parents with kids under 7. Those parents are likely around 35 years old, which means if they saw the movie at all, it was in the early 1990s, so who knows how big Dumbo was back then compared to the other Disney offerings on VHS.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Kinda sorta makes you wonder if Disney is running out of ideas if they're turning their storied animated properties into live action films. After Dumbo, you've got Aladdin and The Lion King right around the corner. What's next? Pocohantas? Hercules? Mulan? The Princess and the Frog?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!