Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So this is the one where John Connor the savior of humanity is replaced with a someone else? Sweet Ghostbusters Bill Murray!
    They've been trying to replace him since the 3rd movie.

That's one problem you have when you try to make a "franchise" based on one person who has out-aged the franchise.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    They've been trying to replace him since the 3rd movie.

That's one problem you have when you try to make a "franchise" based on one person who has out-aged the franchise.
    John connor was the main character in the third movie.

Is it just me or do many movies these days fail becof behind the scenes issues more-so then actually being put in bad locations ? Or maybe thats just associated with long running franchises.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I thought Banks was talking about the stereotype of not wanting to watch a female led action movies unless it is attached to a comicbook universe.
    But apparently even woman were not really interested in Charlie's Angels.

And I would claim that movie was pretty much marked as movie for girls, so it is not really surprising that it didn't attract male viewers.

So the stereotype it in forces is probably more that woman are not particularly interested in action films.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But apparently even woman were not really interested in Charlie's Angels.

And I would claim that movie was pretty much marked as movie for girls, so it is not really surprising that it didn't attract male viewers.

So the stereotype it in forces is probably more that woman are not particularly interested in action films.
    Damn right. I know some women, and not one of them was interested to see that movie. Same with Ghostbusters Answer the Call and Oceans 8, all movies with women in it and made for woman. hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Damn right. I know some women, and not one of them was interested to see that movie. Same with Ghostbusters Answer the Call and Oceans 8, all movies with women in it and made for woman. hmmm....
    Eh, let's not conflate personal experience with wider trends. The women I know weren't interested in Charlie's Angels but were among the first in line for Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8. They were also saw the first two Charlie's Angels movies on their opening weekends. While that doesn't mean Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8 broke box office records (far from it, obviously), the audience is there. They need better engagement from studio marketing. This latest Charlie's Angels, good or bad (and the first two were pretty terrible) had itself a horrendous marketing push -- a couple commercials and an SNL promotion, and that's it. The first two movies had similar bad reviews but made a fortune because their marketing machine was on overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Eh, let's not conflate personal experience with wider trends. The women I know weren't interested in Charlie's Angels but were among the first in line for Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8. They were also saw the first two Charlie's Angels movies on their opening weekends. While that doesn't mean Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8 broke box office records (far from it, obviously), the audience is there. They need better engagement from studio marketing. This latest Charlie's Angels, good or bad (and the first two were pretty terrible) had itself a horrendous marketing push -- a couple commercials and an SNL promotion, and that's it. The first two movies had similar bad reviews but made a fortune because their marketing machine was on overdrive.
    I wonder if part of it is that, at least from my perspective, Charlies Angels is a franchise headlined by women but that caters somewhat to male tastes while stuff like Oceans 8 and Ghostbusters was more directly catered towards women.

Not that that seemed to be the case with the reboot, at least from the promotion I saw, but just something I've thought of about.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if part of it is that, at least from my perspective, Charlies Angels is a franchise headlined by women but that caters somewhat to male tastes while stuff like Oceans 8 and Ghostbusters was more directly catered towards women.

Not that that seemed to be the case with the reboot, at least from the promotion I saw, but just something I've thought of about.
    I don't think Charlies Angels as a franchise can succeed without big names attached to it. The previous movies had the biggest female names in Hollywood at the time attached to it. Those films were dumb fun so there wasn't an divide as to who can enjoy the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    So this is the one where John Connor the savior of humanity is replaced with a someone else? Sweet Ghostbusters Bill Murray!
    And where Tim Miller went online and stuck his own foot in his mouth by basically stating that if you don't like the time traveller lady you're a misogynist before the movie even came out. Apparently he didn't learn from past examples that you don't get people to see your movie with childish 'You'd do it unless you're a chicken' taunts.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Is it just me or do many movies these days fail becof behind the scenes issues more-so then actually being put in bad locations ? Or maybe thats just associated with long running franchises.
    BTS drama and production problems can absolutely break a movie and are typically the case, outside of releases nobody gave a damn about like The Darkest Minds who I'm still not convinced wasn't actually a Youtube Red original. The best example I can give is The Predator which had the studio stepping in last minute and inflated the budget to the point it could never recover in an attempt to "fix" the movie. This on top of existing controversy and delays led to the movie under-performing at the box office (it made its production budget back but the only thing it made money on was the merchandise which Fox would then gut). Sometimes studios have to bite the bullet on critical reception because if a budget is low enough you make the money back in release and credits to justify investment.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

I think that Terminator has as franchise in general two big Problems (even before Dark Fate came out):

- last really good Terminator movie is from the early 90s, and after all the "not so great" Terminator movies I don't think there is much excitement for a another one left
    - Schwarzenegger just old for the Role, and he is imo to iconic to replaced

I think the only way to save this franchise would be to make a movie that is even better then T2, but that would be really hard to do.

Extraordinary Member

They should have let the franchise go after T2. It was a definitive and to the series and the time-loop. T3 wasn't bad, but at best it was an inferior retread of T2, and every sequel following has just been terrible. Sarah Conner Chronicles was the only good thing the franchise has done in the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    They should have let the franchise go after T2. It was a definitive and to the series and the time-loop. T3 wasn't bad, but at best it was an inferior retread of T2, and every sequel following has just been terrible. Sarah Conner Chronicles was the only good thing the franchise has done in the last 15 years.
    The best part of T3 was the "talk to the hand" scene.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Disney has to be happy with 1 film from 21st Century Fox this year. Ford vs Ferrari will actually do well for them and not be a box office bust. It was like the entire Fox slate went into the shitter all year.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Disney has to be happy with 1 film from 21st Century Fox this year. Ford vs Ferrari will actually do well for them and not be a box office bust. It was like the entire Fox slate went into the shitter all year.
    How much did Art of Racing in the Rain really cost??? It could not have been 50 million. 18 million and made 33-I can see but not 50 million and only makes 33.