Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I used to think the same thing---until I saw Charlie's Angels! She can definitely do comedy. Or Elizabeth Banks is that good a director.

Of course you guys will never believe me because I'm the only one who saw the movie.
    I've heard that Stewart was basically phoning it in during the Twilight franchise. But my only real exposure to her is seeing her on movie posters, so take my statement with a grain of salt.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I've heard that Stewart was basically phoning it in during the Twilight franchise. But my only real exposure to her is seeing her on movie posters, so take my statement with a grain of salt.
    I wouldn't be surprised if she took the Elijah Wood route and got so tired of the franchise that she started drunk before shooting.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To me that was the biggest thing was the cast. I doubt many people can even name the other two main stars. I know I can't and I usually keep up with these kind of things. .
    The black girl is more well known overseas.

Excluding 2018 where she was on a weekly UK soap-she has been in a movie nonstop since 2015. 5 in 2017. An article I read said they were banking on that helping overseas. The film is not out in the UK.

I did not know this movie was out. I saw ZERO promotion for it.

Booksmart made $24 million off a $6 million budget. For two unknowns that is good. Dope with a then unknown Kiersey Clemons & Shameik Moore only got $18 million in their first movie.

Now in a case like this-I would have went with some names USA audiences knew of and did not hate due to a fan fiction movie about sparkling vampires.

I love it. Always an excuse. Always playing the victim. Aliens, Underworld, Resident Evil, and Terminators 1 and 2, say hi.

I'm ok with this if it means people like Banks stop getting involved in action flicks.

Tomb Raider, Lucy, Salt and Atomic Blonde check in too!
    True.

I don't think she was playing victim.

She did a movie no one asked for versus 2 characters (ESPECIALLY WW) with way more success than the Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if she took the Elijah Wood route and got so tired of the franchise that she started drunk before shooting.
    Do you have more context about this (Elijah Wood)?

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Do you have more context about this (Elijah Wood)?
    I was thinking of Daniel Radcliffe during Harry Potter, not Wood. But, here's an interview admitting he was drunk during filming.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It's pretty much a given Frozen II will lay waste to the box office landscape when it opens today, so what happens to the other two films also getting wide release today? A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, the Fred Rogers biopic starring Tom Hanks will get all sorts of Oscar buzz, then there's the Chadwick Boseman actioner 21 Bridges which I think will come up woefully short.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The black girl is more well known overseas.

Excluding 2018 where she was on a weekly UK soap-she has been in a movie nonstop since 2015. 5 in 2017. An article I read said they were banking on that helping overseas. The film is not out in the UK.
    Most of her movies were (according to imdb) short movies, so nathing that would have been seen by a large audience.

And she would need to be a draw in more country that the UK to save the box office for this movie.

And that they release it that close to Christmas in Europe will probably also not help.

Is Banks really blaming the “male dominated” comic films on Angels tanking?

How does she explain my wife or the tons of little girls I see dressing up as Carol Danvers or Wonder Woman? Poor pity party for Charlie’s Angels.

Maybe no one saw it because it is a pile of hot garbage.

Her Pitch Perfect movies, which she produced, have made half a billion $. So I can see why she would think this type of film would work. And she is right. (PP 3 even had a Charlies Angel vibe in the plot). Unfortunately, what she made is so-so movie that didn't connect with the audience.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkverine View Post

How does she explain my wife or the tons of little girls I see dressing up as Carol Danvers or Wonder Woman? Poor pity party for Charlie’s Angels.

She saying comic films being Male dominated is why wonder woman and captain marvel were successful. She's painting the brush that those films weren't successful on it's own merit.

Well, the Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey movie is on the way while a Black Widow film is in the pipeline. If they succeed even half as well as Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, then Banks' foolish whining will be disproved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkverine View Post

Also that the success of the previous Charlies Angels movies kinda kills her point.

As expected, Frozen II annihilated the competition, taking in $127 million over the weekend ($350 million worldwide) according to Box Office Mojo. The Fred Rogers biopic, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood debuted in third place with a modest $13.5 million, but that film is all about Oscars, not money earned at the box office while the Chadwick Boseman actioner 21 Bridges finished in fourth place with just $9.3 million. Now, can that film be considered a bust since it was expected to have been destroyed by Elsa, Anna and company?
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-25-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As expected, Frozen II annihilated the competition, taking in $127 million over the weekend ($350 million worldwide) according to Box Office Mojo. The Fred Rogers biopic, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood debuted in third place with a modest $13.5 million, but that film is all about Oscars, not money earned at the box office while the Chadwick Boseman actioner 21 Bridges finished in fourth place with just $9.3 million. Now, can that film be considered a bust since it was expected to have been destroyed by Elsa, Anna and company?
    I expected for 21 Bridges to get second place.

Astonishing Member

A bust is a movie who loses money, regardless of the expectations. I would say...