Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How much did Art of Racing in the Rain really cost??? It could not have been 50 million. 18 million and made 33-I can see but not 50 million and only makes 33.
    IMDB is placing the budget at $20 million . It did ok for 21st Century Fox and did $26 million domestically. Ford vs Ferreri could end up doing the best for that studio.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I want to read a dissection of Fox Studios history to see at what point they became massive **** ups.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Knives Out, the ensemble whodunit starring General Chang, Captain America, Laurie Strode, Sonny Crockett and James Bond opened to an impressive $27 million. In a typical year, that would've won the box office easily in late November, but, this year, it finished a VERY distant second place to Frozen II which raked in $85 million in it's second week.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-02-2019 at 05:27 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Knives Out, the ensemble whodunit starring General Chang, Captain America, Laurie Strode, Sonny Crockett and James Bond opened to an impressive $27 million. In a typical year, that would've won the box office easily in late November, but, this year, it finished a VERY distant second place to Frozen II which raked in $85 million in it's second week.
    I can't see how that kind of opening can remotely be considered a bust. Just because a movie isn't #1 doesn't make it a bust.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I can't see how that kind of opening can remotely be considered a bust. Just because a movie isn't #1 doesn't make it a bust.
    I never said it was.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I want to read a dissection of Fox Studios history to see at what point they became massive **** ups.
    Basically once 20th Century Fox (I'll use the old name here) was put in a sales state things slowed down. Then by the time Disney bought the company they just had the film slate that had begun in 2018/2019 as the sale was becoming final. The executives were placed in a WCW position. When Time Warner was selling WCW the company was in a spot once Bischoff backed off from buying it. So for a month they had to run shows with no idea what the future would be comically.

Imagine being a film studio and you have no clue what projects will go forward after 2019 or if you will have a job in 2020 ? A number of people there now won't be once Disney comes in and streamlines what they want the main film studio to be. And after the results of this year with a number of bombs along the way , there will be some shakeups I'm sure.

This is Fox's 2020 film lineup right now....

Underwater
    The Kings Man
    Call of the Wild (based on the book)
    New Mutants (which Disney claims will release in April 2020)
    Free Guy (Disney moved this one to July date before Jungle Cruise and after Black Widow in May)
    Bob's Burgers : The Movie (This could end up on Hulu or Disney plus as its animated musical)
    Death on the Nile (based on book)
    Ron's Gone Wrong
    West Side Story (based on musical , directed by Steven Spielberg)

Now its reported Disney will use the Fox name for its main franchises.

Planet of the Apes
    Aliens
    Predator
    Die Hard

They will look at those franchises and R Rated ones and gear the film studio towards those.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I love my sequels and franchises as much as the next guy, but it's good to see a more unique movie do that well these days.

Astonishing Member

I would say it's also exactly the kind of movie Rian Johnson needed to be doing to get some good will back after The Last Jedi.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But apparently even woman were not really interested in Charlie's Angels.

And I would claim that movie was pretty much marked as movie for girls, so it is not really surprising that it didn't attract male viewers.

So the stereotype it in forces is probably more that woman are not particularly interested in action films.
    Funny thing both Angels and Terminator are doing way better overseas.

Another 50 million and Angels might break even. Terminator needs $120.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Funny thing both Angels and Terminator are doing way better overseas.

Another 50 million and Angels might break even. Terminator needs $120.

Its long been said that studios don't collect ALL the overseas money. They get a percentage. Charlie's Angels has 9 markets left but they aren't big markets to open in. The films fate seems sealed as a bust due to this and would need $150 million possibly overseas to be considered breaking even for Sony.

Dark Fate itself is DEAD. Its over...there are no markets left for it to open in and its a bomb. Its not gonna get another $100 million and given its price tag ($185 million) it likely would beed $450-500 million worldwide to break even.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its long been said that studios don't collect ALL the overseas money. They get a percentage. Charlie's Angels has 9 markets left but they aren't big markets to open in. The films fate seems sealed as a bust due to this and would need $150 million possibly overseas to be considered breaking even for Sony.

Dark Fate itself is DEAD. Its over...there are no markets left for it to open in and its a bomb. Its not gonna get another $100 million and given its price tag ($185 million) it likely would beed $450-500 million worldwide to break even.
    Yeah I think I read somewhere that movie studios only receive 25 percent of movie revenue in China. Which I thought was ridiculous but when I thought about it, that would explain how some of the comic book films make a lot in gross revenue but profits are way lower than expected even when production costs and marketing are taken into account. China is the second biggest market right now and if a film grosses $100 million then the studio only gets $25 million.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The best studios can expect are from countries either nearby or have close ties to the U.S., and that's only 55-60%.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Even with the "all tickets are only five dollars at most showings" stunt playmobile the movie has one of the worst openings of all time! It's a huge bomb. Even the harry potter actor couldn't save it!

I didn't even know this was a thing, but I find it hilarious

The Playmobil movie fails to make 1 million in US opening.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 12-08-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Even with the "all tickets are only five dollars at most showings" stunt playmobile the movie has one of the worst openings of all time! It's a huge bomb. Even the harry potter actor couldn't save it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I didn't even know this was a thing, but I find it hilarious

The Playmobil movie fails to make 1 million in US opening.
    STX tried to sell the movie as we see. Lucky for them they aren't on the hook for the $75 million budget the film has listed. Those companies took a major loss. STX had $3 million involved with the film to distribute it here.