Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
There is a huge difference between the Skrulls and Jean, though. Captain Marvel's marketing depicted the Skrulls as simply antagonist for Carol to fight and nothing more. Jean on the other hand was front and center of Dark Phoenix's marketing with the tagline being "every hero has a dark side" depicted as both the protagonist and antagonist. The selling point of Dark Phoenix is that the X-Men will face their greatest threat: their own. When that didn't happen and instead got generic aliens their were plenty of people that complained. Example: 3:54

Yeah, in the video they also complained about the movie for failing as a finale AND that the action is small scale for an event movie(it was intentionally made to be small scale).
Your talking about comic fans though not the general audience. They went to see an Xmen movie and they got an Xmen movie. If the movie had been marketed more accurate the shitty villains wouldnt have been any less shitty. Which is fine a good movie can overcome shitty generic villians. The movie just wasnt good. The trailers did nothing to make people wanna watch it and then horrible word of mouth drove it into the ground. People can blame Disney all they want but Fox shoulda made. a better movie. Xmen were sitting for 5years no matter what. Disney gets no upside to this movie tanking as bad as it did. Just hurts the bottom line.

Also all this rests on the General public giving two shits about Jean grey. She wasnt a well developed character prior to this movie. And Spending as much on this budget as they did and then saying they wanted the action to seem small in scale seems like nonsense. You wanna spend alot of money to make it look like you didnt spend the money. This movie looked like it coulda been made on a Deadpool budget(Actors Salarys probaly make that impossible but just the look of the movie).

Last four movies we got Logan and DoFP. So whatever I'll take it. Again DP is not awful. It has some stuff I like but much like Apocalypse I end up feeling Meh. Didnt need that movie but those actors definetly make it watchable.