Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Dark Phoenix got a pretty terrible reaction from audiences and critics alike, thus it was pretty much dead on arrival.
    I think a huge part of the reason was the misleading marketing. Example:

“The X-Men face their greatest foe...their own.”

“Everyone has a dark side”

When...

spoilers:

Jean is not the villain or truly turns to the dark side. The film is rather about her evolving beyond that dark path she had in X3.

I having seen MANY people complain about the lack of Jean going all out.
    end of spoilers

Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-25-2019 at 03:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Sorry, my mind is a mess today. I’ve collected thoughts and I’ll address your points in an orderly fashion.

This discussion is about it being pulled from theaters in North America. In North America it was simply called “Dark Phoenix”. It was only called X-Men: Dark Phoenix in foreign markets.
    That's not the discussion. The discussion is why this film busted. You continue to give reasons for it that simply don't add up.

People didn't want to care about this film because they haven't cared about these films for a long time. Nothing about the trailers, the story, the cast, or anything else was going to change their mind. And worst of all? It was a poor film. So a poor film with deep fan disinterest is going to fail every time. You can take the tinfoil hat off and just look at the easiest explanation.

It's ok if you liked it. It's ok to dive deep into it like you have been if that's your interest. But lay off the schtick about marketing or other excuses. The film was poorly made, dour, and lifeless. And that **** product wasn't going to magically make people get reinvested in X-men. They jumped ship years ago, then fled like crazy after Apocalypse, and nothing about this was going to bring them back.
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 06-25-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    That's not the discussion. The discussion is why this film busted. You continue to give reasons for it that simply don't add up.

This conversation started from the news of it being pulled from theaters.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4423315

they haven't cared about these films for a long time.
    I think we should just agree to disagree now...
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-25-2019 at 08:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    This conversation started from the news of it being pulled from theaters.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4423315..
    No, you made it that. The pulling from the theaters is merely the latest blow in the larger topic (that the thread is named after) about why this movie busted. It's being pulled because people don't care. And people don't care because they haven't cared for awhile and this dreg of a movie wasn't resonating with anyone.

And, specifically, no amount of marketing was going to change that. People were exposed to it in droves. They....didn't....care.

It probably needed a few Queen songs.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    No, you made it that. The pulling from the theaters is merely the latest blow in the larger topic (that the thread is named after) about why this movie busted. It's being pulled because people don't care. And people don't care because they haven't cared for awhile and this dreg of a movie wasn't resonating with anyone.

And, specifically, no amount of marketing was going to change that. People were exposed to it in droves. They....didn't....care.
    Dude, I just said let’s agree to disagree and yet you are still trying to argue with me...

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Someone pages ago (will take time to quote) said Dark Phoenix trailer was seen by millions. Sure it was , its the same way Ghostbusters (2016) had a trailer seen by millions of people. Its just what happened was the marketing disaster happened after the trailer came out as an example. The same issues in a way comically as the marketing for that film failed a long while.

- The 2016 Ghostbusters couldn't decide if the film was a reboot or a sequel to the original films. The trailer didn't help the marketing who quickly seized on the anger of people involved. Instead of letting the few trolls online go ; Sony's marketing department decided to focus a campaign around how you had to **** THE TROLLS over the film and that if you saw Ghostbusters you were sending a message to trolls.

-
    This advertising campaign was doing utter **** for a few months as Sony realized the film would bomb in theaters if it continued. So they scrambled the marketing department to launch a new campaign. This one was 2-3 weeks before the film hit which sold Ghostbusters as a fun film for everyone and they pushed it during NBA playoffs. This actually helped the film open decent (the film still was a bust , but it didn't begin as a total bust)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Someone pages ago (will take time to quote) said Dark Phoenix trailer was seen by millions. Sure it was , its the same way Ghostbusters (2016) had a trailer seen by millions of people. Its just what happened was the marketing disaster happened after the trailer came out as an example. The same issues in a way comically as the marketing for that film failed a long while.

- The 2016 Ghostbusters couldn't decide if the film was a reboot or a sequel to the original films. The trailer didn't help the marketing who quickly seized on the anger of people involved. Instead of letting the few trolls online go ; Sony's marketing department decided to focus a campaign around how you had to **** THE TROLLS over the film and that if you saw Ghostbusters you were sending a message to trolls.

-
    This advertising campaign was doing utter **** for a few months as Sony realized the film would bomb in theaters if it continued. So they scrambled the marketing department to launch a new campaign. This one was 2-3 weeks before the film hit which sold Ghostbusters as a fun film for everyone and they pushed it during NBA playoffs. This actually helped the film open decent (the film still was a bust , but it didn't begin as a total bust)
    It could be all of that.

Or people just didn't care. Probably the simpler of the two answers.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

To get back on topic since certain people will keep arguing about Dark Phoenix forever when everything has already been said. With the big movies yet to come this summer what is your prediction for bomb potential? The two that look the most iffy to me at the moment are the Angry Birds Movie 2 and Angel Has Fallen.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To get back on topic since certain people will keep arguing about Dark Phoenix forever when everything has already been said. With the big movies yet to come this summer what is your prediction for bomb potential? The two that look the most iffy to me at the moment are the Angry Birds Movie 2 and Angel Has Fallen.
    ... there’s a second Angry Birds movie coming out? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It probably needed a few Queen songs.
    Couldn't have hurt. Going full on pop song worked well for Ragnarok.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Also didn’t know about Angry Birds 2. However, Angel Has Fallen is just the sort of loud, dumb popcorn flick that could do surprisingly well.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

If they were released in June or July they'd both be guaranteed bombs. But I was looking at the August release schedule, and beyond Hobbs and Shaw there's nothing. Angry Birds might manage just by having no kids movies within weeks of it.

As a side note there is NOTHING around Hobbs and Shaw save for Lion King which opens 2 weeks before it. It has the best chance of any movie to be a top 5 box office non disney movie.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 06-25-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Angry Birds 2 Budget????
    Angry Birds 1 73 Million Budget made 350 million Worldwide in May

Angel has Fallen $70 million budget
    London has Fallen 60 million budget made 205 million in March

Nothing screams bust about these movies, They aren't expected to make a ridiculous amount of money, They are being released in period where "bad movies" are released. And the competition isn't strong the only other movie I see that could take away from their box office is My Spy with Dave Bautista. Angry Birds 2 has 3 weeks, Angels has 2 weeks before IT 2 and they aren't overlapping markets. If they aren't absolute trash movies they should do reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Angry Birds 2 Budget????
    Angry Birds 1 73 Million Budget made 350 million Worldwide in May

Angel has Fallen $70 million budget
    London has Fallen 60 million budget made 205 million in March

Nothing screams bust about these movies, They aren't expected to make a ridiculous amount of money, They are being released in period where "bad movies" are released. And the competition isn't strong the only other movie I see that could take away from their box office is My Spy with Dave Bautista. Angry Birds 2 has 3 weeks, Angels has 2 weeks before IT 2 and they aren't overlapping markets. If they aren't absolute trash movies they should do reasonably well.
    I spent 5 minutes wracking my brain for what IT 2 are initials for, then I realized it was literally the second IT movie. "D
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!