Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I expected for 21 Bridges to get second place.
    I'm actually surprised it cracked the top ten, most movies released by actors connected to the MCU seem to perform very poorly when they're not attached to marvel
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I'm actually surprised it cracked the top ten, most movies released by actors connected to the MCU seem to perform very poorly when they're not attached to marvel
    That only seems to be true for Chris Hemworth.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As expected, Frozen II annihilated the competition, taking in $127 million over the weekend ($350 million worldwide) according to Box Office Mojo.
    But yeah, let's talk about how women-led movies only succeed when they're catered to male-audiences.

(don't worry, that snark is directed at Banks and no one else)

Astonishing Member

21 Bridges only had a 33M budget. We'll see how it holds, but it will likely be a slight money loser.

The trailer for that movie seemed totally uninteresting.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Well, RDJ did pretty good in his two turns as Sherlock Holmes, so I guess it depends on the actor and the film.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    But yeah, let's talk about how women-led movies only succeed when they're catered to male-audiences.

(don't worry, that snark is directed at Banks and no one else)
    I thought Banks was talking about the stereotype of not wanting to watch a female led action movies unless it is attached to a comicbook universe.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The latest wave of Box office busts saw a franchise return with another reboot and a sequel to a much loved film from the 1980's. So lets run down the busts...

Total Box Office : $ 248.7+ million (Worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $185 million .

After a weak response to Terminator : Genysis , the studio decided to follow the Halloween 2018 reboot by ignoring all the films in the series after T2. This would mean bringing Linda Hamilton back to pair with Arnold Schwarzenegger in Dark Fate. The film also had a return of James Cameron to the franchise as writer of this film. Its the behind the scenes issues that pretty much spiraled out that sunk the film weeks before opening.

Cameron , director Tim Miller and producer David Ellison all had different thoughts on what to make the movie be about. Cameron wanted humanity to be winning its war against the machines , Miller disagreed and so did Ellison on things. As this report shows. But the franchise seems totally dead for now as Terminator landed with a massive thud and 1st real bomb in franchise.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-again-1257322

Total Box Office : $62+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $45-55 million

A film not many asked for as a sequel to the 1980's film "The Shining" this one featured Ewan McGregor as Dan Torrance now all grown up. The featured a number of classic call backs to The Shining and all new enemies. Based on the sequel book by Stephen King from 2013 this film arrived as Warner Brothers had high hopes for it next to Joker. Instead the film bombed and is one of the money losses for WB this year.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Concern on Frozen II keeping its Box Office streak going. Opening weekend did great of course, but what's to say about the following weeks especially now when critical response is almost unanimously saying it's good/decent but not great? Because we live in a world where apparently just being "good" is an indictment to its quality.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 11-26-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Niffleheim

I'll be surprised if little kids care about what critics think about this movie - I was underwhelmed by the original but it still was excessively loved. I didn't get it but I think this one will pass a billion too.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Kids don't give a rat's ass what adult critics say about Frozen II, they just want to see it again, and again, and again. Yesterday, I overheard a co-worker say her ten year old daughter insisted on watching the movie twice over the weekend....ON THE SAME DAY.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-26-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, RDJ did pretty good in his two turns as Sherlock Holmes, so I guess it depends on the actor and the film.
    Snowpiercer did well, yeah?

Astonishing Member

I too thought Frozen II was "good, but not great".

But then two days later I found myself singing the songs in my head. And then picking up various references that I had missed when watching the movie--parts of it were a lot deeper than I thought. Kind of the opposite of "The Last Jedi". The more I think about it in my head, the better that it gets. Would probably go see it again.

Cameron , director Tim Miller and producer David Ellison all had different thoughts on what to make the movie be about. Cameron wanted humanity to be winning its war against the machines , Miller disagreed and so did Ellison on things. As this report shows. But the franchise seems totally dead for now as Terminator landed with a massive thud and 1st real bomb in franchise.
    The humans losing (this time) and then having to go back in time to take out Legion actually would have put a different spin on it. One of the criticism of the movie was that it had a lot of the same plot points as the original.

For my part I'll see Frozen II again in order to form a better opinion with the benefit of hindsight and trying to catch what I missed the first time. Frozen II had things I liked and even loved more than the first, but was offset by some questionable things that made me tilt my head. Frozen I is overall better but that by no means makes Frozen II a bad movie. I found it good and liked it on its own, but it's when you compare it to Frozen I and the entire phenomenon where things get tricky.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    A film not many asked for as a sequel to the 1980's film "The Shining" this one featured Ewan McGregor as Dan Torrance now all grown up. The featured a number of classic call backs to The Shining and all new enemies. Based on the sequel book by Stephen King from 2013 this film arrived as Warner Brothers had high hopes for it next to Joker. Instead the film bombed and is one of the money losses for WB this year.
    It's a shame Doctor Sleep won't death throe even close to this year's Pet Sematary's box office which was a far worse King movie (and I'm not alone according to Doctor Sleep's Certified Fresh status in RT).

Oh well half the movies I enjoy in theaters now are endangered species ones like this or Luc Besson's Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The latest wave of Box office busts saw a franchise return with another reboot and a sequel to a much loved film from the 1980's. So lets run down the busts...

Total Box Office : $ 248.7+ million (Worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $185 million .

After a weak response to Terminator : Genysis , the studio decided to follow the Halloween 2018 reboot by ignoring all the films in the series after T2. This would mean bringing Linda Hamilton back to pair with Arnold Schwarzenegger in Dark Fate. The film also had a return of James Cameron to the franchise as writer of this film. Its the behind the scenes issues that pretty much spiraled out that sunk the film weeks before opening.

So this is the one where John Connor the savior of humanity is replaced with a someone else? Sweet Ghostbusters Bill Murray!