Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I didn't even know this was a thing, but I find it hilarious

The Playmobil movie fails to make 1 million in US opening.
    Me neither. Yet it's made 13 million overseas.

I saw ZERO ads for this. Not even radio stations I listen to that ALWAYS hype up movies for kids-ignored this.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I hadn’t heard anything about this movie either.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

All I can say is.......

Dark does not mean deep.

...I saw a trailer .

Should've made it a direct-to-DVD thing.

This is where I am tempted to put on my conspiracy hat and find Disney guilty of shenanigans to prevent marketing, buzz and any chance of success to a competitor in animated film. But they wouldn't do that, would they?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    This is where I am tempted to put on my conspiracy hat and find Disney guilty of shenanigans to prevent marketing, buzz and any chance of success to a competitor in animated film. But they wouldn't do that, would they?
    I see a direct to video movie that tried to punch above it's weight class and failed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It seems it has been out since August overseas. So some folks knew about it.

As for Disney-Frozen 2 sells itself without trying. No amount of press by Playmobil was going to top that movie.

Also Disney could NOT prevent promotion of those Playmobil toys in stores. Which there was NONE. Target would have done something to get those toys off the shelves. If they had a sale on them my Target app would told me.

Sniff around Wal-Mart website-I don't think any of those toys are in stores. Unlike Frozen and Star Wars-I can go to KROGER and get them. Yes Kroger.

Disney didn't do anything to playmobil. The film was going to come out in summer and they pushed it back to after frozen 2. They knew frozen 2 was going to be out before they moved it there. They just gave up on playmobile with not much ads.

Playmobil was out in the summer here in the uk. It flopped.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I see a direct to video movie that tried to punch above it's weight class and failed.
    A perfect description of what happened with that Playmobil movie.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

STX bought distribution rights to the film. STX didn't put much behind the film as it was more or less a write off for their small company. The folks overseas who spent $75 million on this film are the real losers here.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Yeah STX were putting their hopes on Hustlers, that's the one that paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Yeah STX were putting their hopes on Hustlers, that's the one that paid off.
    They had The Upside , Hustlers and 22 Bridges which will be their solid films for the year. They have had 2-3 busts as well that will make the list at the end of the year.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Disney didn't do anything to playmobil. The film was going to come out in summer and they pushed it back to after frozen 2. They knew frozen 2 was going to be out before they moved it there. They just gave up on playmobile with not much ads.
    Yeah the time slot is where it went to die.

As was mentioned, Playmobil movie had several stars people knew: Daniel Radcliffe, Meghan Trainor, Ana Taylor-Joy, Adam Lambert, Kenan Thompson, etc.

Yet *none* of them could even bother to write a short social media post promoting the movie. It seems everyone involved just wanted to pretend it never happened.

After this next weekend , I'll hold off listing anymore 2019 Box Office busts unless a film like Playmobil totally crashes and burns. A big reason is the next few weeks , the films total take won't be known til 2020. "Richard Jewell , 1917 , Cats, etc" are getting released in the final week or two of 2019. So I'll hold off listing them here. There is 1 more weekend though and I'll list what happens.