Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And therein lies the irony. Disney clearly wants to be the Death Star of the movie industry, so I can’t imagine Bob Iger and the suits are too terribly pleased that Rise of Skywalker didn’t eclipse The Last Jedi which, in turn, didn’t eclipse The Force Awakens.
    Who would have thought years back when Disney bought Star Wars, that it might be the smallest gun in their arsenal? It's both a sign how loaded Disney is, and how this new trilogy hasn't lived up to expectations.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A billion is possible. It might not happen in January, it might be February.

Even if it does not-WHO CARES? It's not going to stop Star Wars stuff from being MADE.
    There is some disturbance for Disney if Rise of Skywalker doesn't crack a billion. It is a bad trend for the third movie to drop quite a bit even though it's early and with two weeks of school out maybe the box office will soar to surpass the Last Jedi. If it does make significantly less than LJ it makes me wonder about the future of Star Wars onscreen. With such big budgets can it continue to be a viable franchise? I know it makes money off merch but will the GA care about where the franchise is heading?

With the possible decline of Star Wars in general and if there's a lack of interest in the Avatar sequel could the Mouse have a small/big setback? Especially if the new MCU movies don't light up the box office?

Plan to see Skywalker this weekend and I neither hate nor love the franchise but like big budget spectacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You need to get out more, the verdict is in and audiences think that TROS sucks. Even the most ardent supporters of Disney's Star Wars are now abandoning the franchise. That includes those 'Reylo' fans who are decidedly unhappy with how this particular romance story wrapped up. But all this should've been obvious with how TROS is doing even worse then TLJ at the box office.
    So keeping track of the bust that is Star Wars Rise of Sky Walker it is currently sitting at 433 million and expect to cross to 500 million global tonight but if not on Christmas day for sure it will pass it.

As small note about this thread I think the 2020 thread should be called "2020 Box office Busts and Surprises" so we can ending up talking about the films that bomb and films that did better than expected. Just a thought
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-25-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I don't think Disney at 1st realized that the Marvel Film Universe would become a certified box office goldmine. I think they thought the films would do what Iron Man 2 did and be a steady $600-800 million type situation. That the films would not run a decade on and become this huge business as we see.

Its why I think Disney saw the success of these Marvel films and thought , we could do the same thing. We have a catalogue of these characters that we can do a lot with. So we can spin these out and do a bunch of films.

Its just Marvel films is guided by Kevin Feige who understood growing the film franchise as we see. And Star Wars by someone who really...doesn't. They rushed into cranking out so many films and directions it didn't really make sense. They had plans for all these films and solo ones etc. With no real direction on what they were doing long term beyond episodes #7-#9.

Now the franchise has serious questions as they scrapped one 3 trilogy planned series and are gonna debate doing solo films again.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I don't think Disney at 1st realized that the Marvel Film Universe would become a certified box office goldmine. I think they thought the films would do what Iron Man 2 did and be a steady $600-800 million type situation. That the films would not run a decade on and become this huge business as we see.

Its why I think Disney saw the success of these Marvel films and thought , we could do the same thing. We have a catalogue of these characters that we can do a lot with. So we can spin these out and do a bunch of films.

Its just Marvel films is guided by Kevin Feige who understood growing the film franchise as we see. And Star Wars by someone who really...doesn't. They rushed into cranking out so many films and directions it didn't really make sense. They had plans for all these films and solo ones etc. With no real direction on what they were doing long term beyond episodes #7-#9.

Now the franchise has serious questions as they scrapped one 3 trilogy planned series and are gonna debate doing solo films again.
    The scrapped trilogy being the GOT guys one ?

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Let me just put it this way. Disney is very unhappy with star wars box office. when they got this franchise this was not part of their plan. for star wars to still be flopping in China, for every release to decline in box office numbers, for a star wars movie (Solo) to flop.

Disney estimated star wars rise of skywalker was slated for a 220+ opening, Disney now said about 185m but it did less than that.Disney said world wide weekend would be around 450m, it did 376 million. it may be at 400m+ now but it is running slower. it should have been at 550m by now.

Rise of skywalker will gross less than TFA, TLJ. Star wars is collapsing in Disney eyes at the box office. there is no way to spin this.I can partially understand why people are very loyal to Disney because Disney also own marvel, but how can we still not admit star wars in now in big trouble.

Last edited by Beaddle; 12-25-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The scrapped trilogy being the GOT guys one ?
    They scrapped a number of films and more as this article shows.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-dis...ng-bad-issues/

Not shown was a set of trilogy films to star a few characters introduced in Episode #8 as a spin-off series. That seemingly was cancelled as well.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

I wish people would stop comparing marvel to star wars since they both tell a different tale of how they ended up getting owned by Disney and what kind of baggage they brought with it. star wars had a far bigger baggage because they were bought as a well established series, the marvel Disney bought were hardly well established but they had that cinematic universe appeal that surprisingly fascinated people.

I am afraid to comparison is not going to stop. if you have seen star wars rise of skywalker, there are a lot of similarities to that movie and Endgame that fans of both series have started to point out, which leads me to ask? what was Disney doing trying to turn star wars into a marvel film?, did they think it will be more successful at the box office?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I wish people would stop comparing marvel to star wars since they both tell a different tale of how they ended up getting owned by Disney and what kind of baggage they brought with it. star wars had a far bigger baggage because they were bought as a well established series, the marvel Disney bought were hardly well established but they had that cinematic universe appeal that surprisingly fascinated people.

I am afraid to comparison is not going to stop. if you have seen star wars rise of skywalker, there are a lot of similarities to that movie and Endgame that fans of both series have started to point out, which leads me to ask? what was Disney doing trying to turn star wars into a marvel film?, did they think it will be more successful at the box office?

I think they viewed it as the same type of formula they could replicate in a way. Launch a film series and slowly expand it out with characters in a catalogue and go from there. Its just that , they are different properties and had Marvel Films had a stern guiding hand behind it as it grew. Feige pushed films out of slots (Inhumans etc) and made the calls to grow a franchise. He hired talented film makers and let them make a film and didn't step in to push a vision they had of a film. The Russo brothers were allowed to make the films they wanted.

Meanwhile at Star Wars were seeing Disney jump in with executives making decisions to fire directors they don't agree with and more. They don't have a Feige to guide the ship and be the central person to hold Disney's higher ups at bay to make films. Its why they need someone badly to step in and do this. To guide the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Merry Christmas to everyone.

Let me just put it this way. Disney is very unhappy with star wars box office. when they got this franchise this was not part of their plan. for star wars to still be flopping in China, for every release to decline in box office numbers, for a star wars movie (Solo) to flop.

Disney estimated star wars rise of skywalker was slated for a 220+ opening, Disney now said about 185m but it did less than that.Disney said world wide weekend would be around 450m, it did 376 million. it may be at 400m+ now but it is running slower. it should have been at 550m by now.

Rise of skywalker will gross less than TFA, TLJ. Star wars is collapsing in Disney eyes at the box office. there is no way to spin this.I can partially understand people why people are very loyal to Disney because Disney also own marvel, but how can we still not all admit star wars in now in big trouble. ]
    People putting Flop and Bomb by movie that is going make as much money TROS is going make is silly. Is going to be unabashed success? I am sure Disney want it to hit 2 billion be critical darling and lead to fans wanting more Star Wars projects. It is clearly not going to be that but there is an vast place between 3 movies making each probably making a billion dollars plus and Star Wars being in trouble. The trouble in talking about stuff in the internet is people only want to talking in terms of grand success or utter failure. Star Wars movies at Disney has been neither of those things the truth is literally in the middle.

Star Wars is not any big trouble, Tomorrow they can announce "Knights of the Old Republic" movies on the Star Wars world will explode with excitement. People think seem to think that people are them and are unable to talk about this without being bias. Did Disney think that they could dump the Star Wars label on anything and it would make tons of money and be loved? Yes.The Star Wars Disney movies flops? No but Disney needed the fanbase to be excited about the product because Star Wars fans buy tons of Merch, Star Wars being a creative failure is huge issue to bottomline because Star Wars to sell lightsabers, toys, etc. Make you excited about the video games, Make you excited about the theme park. The movies have performed in range Disney need them do but it is not about that alone for Star Wars. Disney needs the fandom to be happy so they can buy crap. The movies are reasonable profitable but you don't spend 4 billion dollars to only have profitable movies.

Oh Nos Star Wars now has to rework their movie strategy(or actually form a strategy), It is shame Star Wars does not have amazingly well like love TV show to anchor it now. Oh yeah that right they do have that. It shame they don't have show about Obi Wan coming out that fans are excited about. They are already rebuilding the brand, They just have to pick a direction for the future movies. But we are on the internet so we have pretend that everything is doom and gloom or great. Well I am not going to do that, could things be better? Yes. Do many things have a fan base as large as Star War Fanbase? No Disney aren't operating from a place where they need to create fans, They just need make a product that fans like and they already prove with Mandalorian they can do that. Anyways I am done this probably isn't right thread for this discussion.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-25-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Star Wars has a generally unpleasable core fanbase so trying to appease them is a waste of time. As is though Disney Wars has made the mouse a decent chunk of change. Marvel money ? No. But still a damn sight more then people expect or think.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Star Wars has a generally unpleasable core fanbase so trying to appease them is a waste of time. As is though Disney Wars has made the mouse a decent chunk of change. Marvel money ? No. But still a damn sight more then people expect or think.
    Like Marvel for Disney, Star War movies has made back the investment into it. Force Awakens( 2 billion) TLJ (1 billion) Rogue One (1 billion) Solo (390 million). Yeah of course they are other things they making money from, But when you consider on the Avengers movies alone and Star Wars movie alone. They have made back the 4 billion to get them I think Disney is pretty happy with their investment.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-25-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Like Marvel for Disney, Star War movies has made back the investment into it. Force Awakens( 2 billion) TLJ (1 billion) Rogue One (1 billion) Solo (390 million). Yeah of course they are other things they making money from, But when consider on the Avengers movies alone and Star Wars movie alone. They have made back the 4 billion to get them I think Disney is pretty happy with their investment.
    Happy? They paid too much for that investment. How are they happy when the fanbase is unhappy, when their recent movie is getting bad reviews and the box office trajectory continuing to go down compared to past episodes? Disney isn't in the business to displease its customers because at the end of the day it will affect box office numbers, merch and parks attendance. Pixar and Marvel at least knows story has to always come first while Lucas Films doesn't even care.

Ultimate Member

As at today, Tuesday, TROS is already at $433m WW.

By tomorrow, it should be near half a billion before the weekend and should be around $600m (or more) by the end of said weekend. And that’s before the New Years holiday boosts.

TROS is already a hit and will start turning in a profit sometime next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People putting Flop and Bomb by movie that is going make as much money TROS is going make is silly. Is going to be unabashed success? I am sure Disney want it to hit 2 billion be critical darling and lead to fans wanting more Star Wars projects. It is clearly not going to be that but there is an vast place between 3 movies making each probably making a billion dollars plus and Star Wars being in trouble. The trouble in talking about stuff in the internet is people only want to talking in terms of grand success or utter failure. Star Wars movies at Disney has been neither of those things the truth is literally in the middle.

Star Wars is not any big trouble, Tomorrow they can announce "Knights of the Old Republic" movies on the Star Wars world will explode with excitement. People think seem to think that people are them and are unable to talk about this without being bias. Did Disney think that they could dump the Star Wars label on anything and it would make tons of money and be loved? Yes.The Star Wars Disney movies flops? No but Disney needed the fanbase to be excited about the product because Star Wars fans buy tons of Merch, Star Wars being a creative failure is huge issue to bottomline because Star Wars to sell lightsabers, toys, etc. Make you excited about the video games, Make you excited about the theme park. The movies have performed in range Disney need them do but it is not about that alone for Star Wars. Disney needs the fandom to be happy so they can buy crap. The movies are reasonable profitable but you don't spend 4 billion dollars to only have profitable movies.

Oh Nos Star Wars now has to rework their movie strategy(or actually form a strategy), It is shame Star Wars does not have amazingly well like love TV show to anchor it now. Oh yeah that right they do have that. It shame they don't have show about Obi Wan coming out that fans are excited about. They are already rebuilding the brand, They just have to pick a direction for the future movies. But we are on the internet so we have pretend that everything is doom and gloom or great. Well I am not going to do that, could things be better? Yes. Do many things have a fan base as large as Star War Fanbase? No Disney aren't operating from a place where they need to create fans, They just need make a product that fans like and they already prove with Mandalorian they can do that. Anyways I am done this probably isn't right thread for this discussion.
    Star Wars has only one thing to do. try and make movies that at least can match the best of their films and as long as Disney can't do that. the box office will continue to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    As at today, Tuesday, TROS is already at $433m WW.

By tomorrow, it should be near half a billion before the weekend and should be around $600m (or more) by the end of said weekend. And that’s before the New Years holiday boosts.

TROS is already a hit and will start turning in a profit sometime next week.
    the three day first estimate so supposed to e 450m, so its lagging. Nobody is saying its not going to make money or turn out profit, we are saying the movie's box office will still be a disappointment.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-25-2019 at 05:34 AM.