Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yep, Kirsten Stewart with a buzzcut. I’ve said she can’t act wet in a monsoon, so that’s sure to bring Underwater down.
    It is weird. I kind of find Stewart very sexy with the shaved blond hair. I have never really though of her that way before. That might get me to rent this when it comes out latter on just on that.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, it looks like Hollywood will be content to let Star Wars lord over the box office for the rest of 2019 as the next scheduled major release, a remake of The Grudge won't come out until January 3rd. But, according to Box Office Mojo, things get interesting a week later when the World War I epic 1917 clashes with Underwater which looks like Alien at the bottom of the ocean instead of outer space. Then, a week after that on January 10th, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence hit the streets again in Bad Boys For Life which will up against Robert Downey Jr. chatting with animals in Doolittle. Hey, SUPERE, which of those films do you think will tank?
    If i have to guess I have to wonder what audience will see in a serious Doolittle movie with Downey doing a weird accent. I just have to wonder if it will make back its huge budget.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Episode 1 came out along with power of the force 2. The toys sold well before release. After release you couldn't give episode one toys away! Stores were stuck with tons of toys. They threw them in bins for $2! My Wal-Mart was stuck with them for over a year! Today you can still get many of them unopened for $2!

So it's not just today.
    Prequel era toys have been perennial best sellers for nearly two decades. Especially with the huge success of the Clone Wars cartoon. Because George Lucas designed the prequels with interesting looking characters and vehicles that would make great toys. Conversely, the Disney era films have seen toy sales collapse year after year. Now Hasbro won't even bother with a full TROS toy line, the Star Wars brand is just poison for their bottom line. At best Disney offers rehashed designs from the OT, which are essentially repaints and remolds of better toys fans already bought years ago.
    Last edited by Kintor; 12-26-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Episode 1 toys were pegwarmers and later dumped to bins. Powers of the force was the bigger hit. Yeah they did great at first with the "they will be worth a fortune in 20 years and i'll be rich" toy craze but they shoved to much out and stores were stuck with them. Still have mine that I grabbed for cheap.

As this has nothing to do with this thread I won't bring it up again and there's a star wars forum to talk star wars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Episode 1 toys were pegwarmers and later dumped to bins. Powers of the force was the bigger hit. Yeah they did great at first with the "they will be worth a fortune in 20 years and i'll be rich" toy craze but they shoved to much out and stores were stuck with them. Still have mine that I grabbed for cheap.
    The point is that the prequel toys had an oversupply issue during Episode 1 and quickly recovered. That prequel era toys continued to sell extremely well even a decade after ROTS was released. The same can't be said of Disney Star Wars, their toy line collapsed immediatly with TFA and never recovered. There is no upswing in interest for Disney's Star Wars toys, not with TLJ and certainly not with TROS, each year brings worse sales then the last. This is ultimately reflective in Star Wars' declining fortunes at the Box Office.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    If i have to guess I have to wonder what audience will see in a serious Doolittle movie with Downey doing a weird accent. I just have to wonder if it will make back its huge budget.
    Reminds me of when RDJ tried doing a British accent for Sherlock Holmes and I didn’t find it particularly credible (but then, ANY actor playing Holmes pales in my eyes compared to the great Jeremy Brett), but, he was popular enough in the role to warrant a sequel.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The Rise f Skywalker made 32 million on Christmas day alone. It still didnt do as good as The Last Jedi. This movie may be a disappointment but it is not a bomb by any means.
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-27-2019 at 06:50 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

I went to see CATS. I actually think this has "so bad it's good" potential such that this could be a holiday movie that is rewatched/made fun of for decades to come. You have some of the best actors/actresses in film and stage seriously pretending to be Cats! I can't decide if Ian McKellan was intentionally camping it up because he knows what type of film this is, or seriously trying to get into his role. Judi Dench is probably the only one who is acting like herself and not like an actual Cat.

They also changed some of the main plot and (arguably) made it worse.

On the plus side, Taylor Swift's new song is actually the best song of the movie, I would have still given it an Oscar nomination.

There were actually 20 people in my theater and we all knew what we were getting into. Some of the folks were big Cats fans and were singing along and several people bust out laughing at many times. Standing ovation after the movie was completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I heard she’s ok in Charlie’s Angel but I haven’t seen it.

In everything I’ve seen her, she looks like she has the same expression on her face.
    She's actually usually very good in the art house movies she does, but she usually seems to phone it in for the big Hollywood movies. I think she's one of those actors who really commits to the smaller pictures, and does the blockbusters to pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree.

Barring a nuclear holocaust or alien invasion, TROS will clear a $1 billion. It can't be discussed here.

Cats is a historic failure the likes of which are rarely seen. I want to know what the thought process is behind the production of the movie...everything went wrong.

Could this be the biggest bomb in cinema history? I think it's only made about 12 million so far against- what was the budget, $100-$150 million? Plus advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I went to see CATS. I actually think this has "so bad it's good" potential such that this could be a holiday movie that is rewatched/made fun of for decades to come. You have some of the best actors/actresses in film and stage seriously pretending to be Cats! I can't decide if Ian McKellan was intentionally camping it up because he knows what type of film this is, or seriously trying to get into his role. Judi Dench is probably the only one who is acting like herself and not like an actual Cat.

On the plus side, Taylor Swift's new song is actually the best song of the movie, I would have still given it an Oscar nomination.

There were actually 20 people in my theater and we all knew what we were getting into. Some of the folks were big Cats fans and were singing along and several people bust out laughing at many times. Standing ovation after the movie was completed.

I can see this becoming the next Rocky Horror.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Could this be the biggest bomb in cinema history? I think it's only made about 12 million so far against- what was the budget, $100-$150 million? Plus advertising?
    r.
    Pluto Nash had a budget well over $100+ million and only did like $4-5 million at box office.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

After reading multiple reviews, seeing the trailers and various stills and clips I definitely get the same impression. I don't really keep up with movies other than what I see promoted and discussed online, so Cats wasn't even on my radar until all the reviews started dropping, and although it's not a movie I'd ever want to see under normal circumstances, the reviews have been so entertainingly negative I feel it might be a movie that has to be seen to believe it's actually that bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Hey, don't drag Michael Jackson into this. The man can still hit number one in the charts despite being dead for years. Unfortunatly the same can't be said of Star Wars, even with all the weight of Disney behind them the Star Wars brand has been in decline ever since 2016. Toys R Us was just the prominent victim of Disney's mismanagement and it's foolish to handwave away all Disney's mistakes over a little bit of debt that Toy R Us controlled quite expertly until 2015 when Disney dropped the ball for everybody. You'll see this again over the coming weeks as TROS stuggles and most likely fails to reach 1 billion.
    Want to bet on it?

BANNED

I think some people need to understand what flop means. And no ,posting some YouTube videos with the same veracity than the "magazines" sold at the supermarket checkout don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    After reading multiple reviews, seeing the trailers and various stills and clips I definitely get the same impression. I don't really keep up with movies other than what I see promoted and discussed online, so Cats wasn't even on my radar until all the reviews started dropping, and although it's not a movie I'd ever want to see under normal circumstances, the reviews have been so entertainingly negative I feel it might be a movie that has to be seen to believe it's actually that bad.
    I'm going to buy it when it comes out on itunes just for the special features, just so I can see how this was made.