Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I
    Except, the Batman movies that worked where all self-contained and left no room for superheroe movies in the traditional sense. It is next to impossible to build a shared universe out of the Nolan films. And the Superman movies/appearances have been from bad to terrible.
    They were gonna try and lure Bale back to do that. But the overall gist is...the Nolan films did huge box office and continued Batman's box office run as we saw for years. A fact that in 2021 we will get another Batman film . It doesn't matter if they are self contained or a launch film for others. Its about the fact Batman has had more of a box office presence than Shazam has had. That its considered an easier bet for a film to get .

Making any new Batman or Superman movies that can kickstart/impulse the DC Cinematic Universe IS the big gamble.
    As we saw with Aquaman and Wonder Woman they can make it work with the right approach and work to it. But it takes that right approach from director. But lets be honest ..its less of a gamble if you say your doing a Superman film or a Batman film that could have a tie to a wider universe.

I think you are overestimating the power of cartoons and comics for the casual audience. Certain degree of recognition? Maybe.
    I'm not , its part of the aspect of the characters growth to other markets and merch appeal to children and adults for 40+ years. Superman , Batman etc have latched onto generations of adults growing up through various cartoons , toys and games. WB makes millions of dollars off what Superman and Batman do as merch each year. Shazam has never had that before.

Except that based on the previews, he is like Superman, but funny, doesn't take himself too serious and gives this "Marvel"-like movie vibe, which is what audiences around the world seem to prefer. See, for example, Aquaman.
    The trailers for Aquaman , Wonder Woman etc didn't approach things with the comedic vibe to this point. Here is one of the Aquaman trailers.

They played up the action dynamic basically and we got maybe a slight joke here or there. Unlike Shazam which is doing the comedic adventure route . Be it a Marvel attempt or not ; this seems like more of a departure than the last few DC film movies.

No, they wouldn't. Or rather, in the long term, they wouldn't. The reason we are not seeing a 150-200 million Batman/Superman movie is because, right now, WB has no idea what to do with those characters, how to move forward, and how to use them to impulse their DCshared universe. The next 150 million Batman movie will star an entirely new cast, with a new take on the character, and with a new story arc. Those are a lot of questions marks.
    Well as we have seen YES ...they would. They already announced the next Batman film and release date with date its due to start filming. Before Affleck walked away from it he was gonna do a Batman film but he didn't like the script (even though folks who read it found it to be really good). Ask a WB executive what is a sure bet...a Batman film or the unknown Shazam (which we really won't know how it does...til it opens) and your gonna see more executives say the Batman film. Because they have a character who literally has been in big films , been a huge marketing machine etc. Unlike...Shazam has.

Shazam? It looks like a fun superhero movie.

Except, that's exactly what most of the people want. Aquaman completely destroyed other DC Universe movies record because it is a Marvel movie. You can see elements of Thor and GoTG all over it. Audiences like that.
    Of course many compared Aquaman to a Black Panther Of course many have compared Captain Marvel's latest film to a Wonder Woman. Film comparisons happen all the time. With this though it seems that Shazam seems to be a more comedic film. Not the pure epic action film Aquaman was or what Wonder Woman was either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    DC has always been weird with Shazam marketing. I don't recall there ever being a big presence by those characters for action figures, lunchboxes, underwear, you name it.
    There hasn't and its why them doing a Shazam film is more of a gamble to see if it clicks. Given the fact Shazam as a character never has had the marketing as we saw with the Batman/Superman characters.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Flying CGI elephants are not cheap. But seriously who thought it was a good idea to spend so much money on a Dumbo movie. They should have held down on the budgets.
    The sets are over the top. I think Burton went ham on the sets and that probaly didnt help the budget either.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    [IMG]https://encrypted-tbn0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI_HdljUIAMAbMmprBG8ov4rIYwmQd7-i0gbgteUBW2Ie6Xort[/IMG]

Total Box Office : $5.3+ million

Total Production Budget : $25 Million

Captive State was a sci-fi thriller film that originally was supposed to come out in August of 2018 but was pushed back to March. The film quickly arrived and bombed dropping out of the top #10. Its only done $5.2 million in the US alone thus far. The movie stars John Goodman and Machine Gun Kelly.

Total Box Office : $399.8+ Million

Total Production Budget : $170 Million

This was the final big budget release by 21st Century Fox before the sale to Disney was done. The film also marks the highest earning film by Robert Rodriquez who directed it and James Cameron who helped write the film. Sadly the film did not do well with western audiences here ($83+ million) and has only done $399+ million. Its said the film to get a sequel would be to do $450-500 million.

Of course with the Disney buyout we may not see that happen either.

According to this Alita didn't lose the studio any money
    https://movieweb.com/alita-2-battle-...ffice-success/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I read the article , Movie Web isn't really citing any sources to claim it will get a sequel or a box office bomb. They are believing tax credits will come in for it. But as Deadline points out here the tax credits already have came in. That $170+ million production budget is already the tax credits for the countries it filmed in.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-b...mb-1202558922/

The original budget was over $200+ million. No idea what the production budget is but Fox pumped more into it as we saw a costly Super Bowl ad and those don't come cheap. Movie Web is claiming hopes are home video saves it like it did Pacific Rim. And looking back I'm sure Universal is likely thinking they shouldn't have approved a sequel given how it bombed.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

200 in budget, Maybe 100 million in Marketing. To only make 400 million? It is not a ridiculous bust but you don't spend 200 million dollar on a movie to barely break even when the movie is the theaters. But like Pacific Rim doing strong in China is reason enough to try again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I also noticed this piece

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#6a8b8a9c6729

Now if you ask me, if a movie like Alita surpasses expectations and is up for discussion about making any money at all, it doesn't belong anywhere near this thread, where we have seen and will continue to see down the year movies that couldn't even meet their budgets worldwide.

Web is claiming hopes are home video saves it like it did Pacific Rim. And looking back I'm sure Universal is likely thinking they shouldn't have approved a sequel given how it bombed.
    Uprising was multiply doomed. It came out almost half a decade ago from a original movie that ended just right, and during Black Panther season no less. Blatant cash grab.

I'd like to think Alita sequels would feel more natural even without manga knowledge, as long as interested parties don't take too long to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I also noticed this piece

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#6a8b8a9c6729

Now if you ask me, if a movie like Alita surpasses expectations and is up for discussion about making any money at all, it doesn't belong anywhere near this thread, where we have seen and will continue to see down the year movies that couldn't even meet their budgets worldwide.

Uprising was multiply doomed. It came out almost half a decade ago from a original movie that ended just right, and during Black Panther season no less. Blatant cash grab.

I'd like to think Alita sequels would feel more natural even without manga knowledge, as long as interested parties don't take too long to make them.
    PR Uprising just wasn't a very good movie. They turned it into a Power Rangers movie. If it was as good the first, it would have made it's money.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Disney's Dumbo fell hard in its second weekend against Shazam and Pet Sematary.

Dumbo dropped 60% for an estimated $18.2 domesitc take. Domestic now stands at $76.3 million after 10 days.

I'd be surprised to see Dumbo get to a total of $130 million domestic at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Dumbo dropped 60% for an estimated $18.2 domesitc take. Domestic now stands at $76.3 million after 10 days.

I'd be surprised to see Dumbo get to a total of $130 million domestic at this rate.
    Is it too late to make any jokes about flying and crashing?

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Is it too late to make any jokes about flying and crashing?

Before folks ask when it will be listed here , well I usually wait til the international box office weighs more in. It still has 2 foreign markets left (April 5th and 19th) and I let it run til its fully out of top 10 domestically usually. Its why I gave Alita like a month before it was listed.

BANNED

Dumbo was not a good idea

it fit with the Disney formula so far. I personally never really had any love for a Dumbo movie, but I'm just speaking for myself. I believe someone else posted how pumped they were earlier in this thread.

Disney could have saved a ton of money if they just used a real elephant
    The J-man

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    it fit with the Disney formula so far. I personally never really had any love for a Dumbo movie, but I'm just speaking for myself. I believe someone else posted how pumped they were earlier in this thread.

Disney could have saved a ton of money if they just used a real elephant
    The poster said they were "curious" to see the film. I don't think it means excited or pumped to see Dumbo.

Missing Link looks like it will only do 6 million this weekend according to box office mojo. Not sure what the production costs were but I've been seeing a ton of ads for it, so it's probably in a good deal of trouble.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!