Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Missing Link looks like it will only do 6 million this weekend according to box office mojo. Not sure what the production costs were but I've been seeing a ton of ads for it, so it's probably in a good deal of trouble.
    Actually Box Office Mojo adjusted Missing Link's earnings....it will only do $5 million this opening weekend.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

According to Box Office Mojo, the rebooted Hellboy disappointed in its debut weekend, scoring only $12 million for a third place finish.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Missing Link wont do any harm to Lakia. The guy who owns it co-founded Nike.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Missing Link wont do any harm to Lakia. The guy who owns it co-founded Nike.
    I'm glad because I've found Laika films to be generally fantastic. I'm glad someone is keeping stop-motion animation alive. The intricacy and attention to detail in their work is fantastic.

I don't see their movies at the theater, but I always get around to picking them up on Blu-Ray.

Jeez, there really is no silver lining in the Hellboy story.

This weekend is Hellboy's 3rd, and it lost a staggering 2,376 theaters, going from 3303 as recently as Thursday to 927 on Friday as theaters need to clear out debris so they can show Avengers 400 times a day.

In contrast, Shazam only lost 552 theaters going in to its 4th weekend (from 4183 to 3681).

Hellboy grossed an estimated $98,000 on Friday, which means its entire weekend will only be about $300-350,000.

That's...not a really great 3rd weekend for any movie in wide release.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

That’s no surprise, there wasn’t much buzz for the project to begin with. Placing it so close to Endgame killed any chance it had.

As 2019 marches on Disney has had an expensive flop and likely a huge hit. But since this is a flop thread...lets examine. I waited a few weeks til the last foreign markets opened for this one to be listed.

Total Box Office : $311+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $170+ million

Disney approved 3 cartoon remakes and one sequel to a beloved film the last year. While the sequel to a beloved film did well (Mary Poppins Returns) Dumbo by visionary director Tim Burton was a box office bomb the second it arrived. The budget for this film was $170+ million and domestically the film is limping along and thus far only has done $103+ million. Disney's next hopes rest on Lion King or Aladdin as another live action remake of a beloved cartoon.

Total Box Office : $38.8+ million

Total Production Budget : $50+ million

How bad is Hellboy ? Its this bad as Box Office Mojo doesn't even want to add the international gross to the film yet and I had to do it myself with a calculator. The film has done $17.5 million internationally and its unlikely it will turn a profit with 5 markets left and Hong Kong the best one there. The remake was given a $50 million dollar production budget and given a terrible time period as well to open in. Between 3 comic book films and the critical and fan beloved Shazam & Avengers : Endgame.

Lionsgate had high hopes for restarting this series and now likely will wait a long while if another film ever happens.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 04-28-2019 at 05:12 AM.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Its been a month so we have a couple more box office bombs.

Total Box Office : $20.8+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $45 million

An animated film that many will surely go WTF ? This one was released on May 2nd and quickly nose dived fast due to Avengers and other hit films. This movie was released by STX Entertainment which had a small modest hit with "Poms" at the same time. The voice cast of Ugly Dolls was Ice-T , Wanda Sykes , Nick Jones and Kelly Clarkson as well. How this film didn't seem to appear as a blimp is stunning.

Total Box Office : $41.8+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $40 million

This romantic unlikely comedy was released right near where Avengers was dominating the box office. It too quickly fell off the map . It starred Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron as a couple who reunite after years apart. Well not exactly a couple I believe a trailer claims that Theron's character once babysit Rogen's. Also another unique situation was Theron's character was a Secretary of State who is going to run for President and needs a blogger/speech writer in Rogen's character. Either way the film bombed pretty quick.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

From Deadline ...
    "Bad news on Screen Gems/H Collective’s Brightburn. While Sony contends the movie cost $6M net before P&A, we heard from two sources with knowledge of the budget that the R-rated horror, anti-Superman film cost $12M net after Georgia rebates, which means Brightburn will not reach break-even after distribution costs."

I'd forgotten all about Ugly Dolls. You would think that releasing it so soon after Avengers would mean having an actual marketing campaign -- not to compete with Avengers, but simply to put it on people's maps -- but it was close to zip. Very few commercials or online ads or even print ads. Heck, I don't think I saw many posters and boards in theaters for it.

Even then, the movie looks generic as all out.

As for Longshot, even without Avengers it was never going to make blockbuster numbers, so the idea there is more to cater to the audiences most likely to see that type of movie. I expect it'll do better on home viewing like streaming services and cable, but its critical reception seems better than average for this type of movie.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    From Deadline ...
    "Bad news on Screen Gems/H Collective’s Brightburn. While Sony contends the movie cost $6M net before P&A, we heard from two sources with knowledge of the budget that the R-rated horror, anti-Superman film cost $12M net after Georgia rebates, which means Brightburn will not reach break-even after distribution costs."
    Well even if it did cost $12 million to make. The film isn't in bad spot to pass this. Today its earnings passed the $11+ million domestic spot. Its gonna earn its production budget back even if it is that $12 million figure.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...gunnhorror.htm

Its also starting to earn a small percentage internationally now for the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'd forgotten all about Ugly Dolls. You would think that releasing it so soon after Avengers would mean having an actual marketing campaign -- not to compete with Avengers, but simply to put it on people's maps -- but it was close to zip. Very few commercials or online ads or even print ads. Heck, I don't think I saw many posters and boards in theaters for it.

Even then, the movie looks generic as all out.

As for Longshot, even without Avengers it was never going to make blockbuster numbers, so the idea there is more to cater to the audiences most likely to see that type of movie. I expect it'll do better on home viewing like streaming services and cable, but its critical reception seems better than average for this type of movie.
    Longshot was a good Seth Rogen movie. Still a Rogen movie but it's good. Unfortunately it's already dropped out of theaters here

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    From Deadline ...
    Brightburn is currently at 18.9 million worldwide. General rule of thumb is that a movie must make worldwide 1.5 to 2.0 times its budget to break even as you have to subtract an average of 30% of theater take domestically and similar but varying amounts for international and then you have to consider marketing costs. Brightburn is going to finish somewhere between 3 to 4 times its production budget so it will make a nice profit relative to its budget. A profit of around 10 million isn't exactly exciting but its also about what you hope for with small budget movies.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Brightburn is currently at 18.9 million worldwide. General rule of thumb is that a movie must make worldwide 1.5 to 2.0 times its budget to break even as you have to subtract an average of 30% of theater take domestically and similar but varying amounts for international and then you have to consider marketing costs. Brightburn is going to finish somewhere between 3 to 4 times its production budget so it will make a nice profit relative to its budget. A profit of around 10 million isn't exactly exciting but its also about what you hope for with small budget movies.

The film will do perhaps $15-25 million domestically at best. We won't know the fractions of what the studio will get for the international box office. But its not gonna be the whole $7+ million thus far. The film has 8 markets left to open in. The biggest one is Hong Kong , so it could do decent.

This film starred no real big stars in it and was a small budget horror film. The type Sony/Screen Gems is good at. They have made these small horror films and they end up doing very well.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Well, you would know better than the writers at Deadline. I just wanted to bring it up. Feel free to dismiss it.