Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    This was a shitty year to release it frankly. This is Disneys year with a movie out nearly every month.
    Looks like a lot of movies are going to underperform this year. Even Disney had a mediocre one in Dumbo. Next year 2020 looks to be one of the lowest ones in recent years.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The GA like good movies. They weren't tired of PR2, it just wasn't a very good movie, and the first one was not a giant hit. Kong Skull Island was a big hit, because it was good. This one seems mixed and will probably perform as such.
    The mix comes from the disparity from critics and fans. The common complaint of the negative reviews for the new Godzilla is that the plot focuses on the monsters instead of the human drama. It makes me question if they understand what kind of movie they're watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The mix comes from the disparity from critics and fans. The common complaint of the negative reviews for the new Godzilla is that the plot focuses on the monsters instead of the human drama. It makes me question if they understand what kind of movie they're watching.
    The first movie got criticized from not enough Godzilla & now it's getting it because it's too much monsters? Just can't win.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    The first movie got criticized from not enough Godzilla & now it's getting it because it's too much monsters? Just can't win.
    Not enough Godzilla was a fan criticism. One that is addressed in King of the Monsters. The fan reactions to King of the Monster lean towards it being better than the 2014 movie. A camp I fall under.

Not enough Godzilla was a fan criticism. One that is addressed in King of the Monsters. The fan reactions to King of the Monster lean towards it being better than the 2014 movie. A camp I fall under.
    I feel like if Roger Ebert were alive, he would've complained that the first movie didn't have enough Godzilla.

His chief complaints about the first X-Men movie and Transformers was that they didn't have enough of what the title was supposed to be about. Surprise surprise, he really liked X2 (but that 2nd TF film, tho... eh....)

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I know it’s still early but Godzilla’s $49 million opening has to be disappointing for WB. Considering the first movie opened with $93 million. I think it’s just another example of too much competition and Hollywood cannibalizing itself.
    Wow. The 1998 Matthew Broderick version that everyone (except me) hates opened at $44 million. That opening for this version of Godzilla does not bode well.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I was really disappointed by the first movie, so I’ll happily take too much monster fighting and weak plot any day. It’s a freaking Godzilla movie!

A lot of factors could be going into it’s less than stellar opening. Aladdin is performing almost better than expected. It got some negative reviews (but again what the hell were they expecting?!? The Godfather? It’s a giant monster movie!). Avengers is still making money. Plus John Wick and Rocketman as more recent competition. The first movie disappointed some fans.

Possibly all of the above.

WB must really be scratching their heads after Godzilla: KotM and LEGO Movie 2 failed to live up to financial expectations. Both seemed like a sure thing.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

You probably got this from some meme floating on Internet making fun of critics
    Critics have said the monsters were the best part of the movie but sadly movie constantly cuts away from epic Monster fights to boring cliched humans.

The complaint is human characters not monsters and we see them a lot just like 2014 one sadly.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 06-03-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    You probably got this from some meme floating on Internet making fun of critics
    Critics have said the monsters were the best part of the movie but sadly movie constantly cuts away from epic Monster fights to boring cliched humans.

The complaint is human characters not monsters and we see them a lot just like 2014 one sadly.
    If that's the case I'm glad to stand still liking KOTM, after watching it twice I didn't end up disliking any of the human characters that much while enjoying the movie (compared to the G-Man in Rampage who did his best to ruin almost every scene he was in, or the comedy relief moments in The Meg, or even the previous Godzilla characters who had lot less to do with bigger monster stealing time). And I thought reducing the number of monsters directly fighting each other also helped the movie in the end, which apparently also annoyed some because of marketing.

Either way gotta pay for this kind of theater fare while one still can and hope that Akira project next goes some length.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Even Disney had a mediocre one in Dumbo
    I'm not surprised. Who ever cared about that flying elephant really?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Oof, Dark Phoenix might be heading for this thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    That's not a surprise really. There's never been a trailer or a still that has suggested this was anything other than a small, B-movie. Almost a knock-off.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Will have to wait and see how it plays out really before I can post about it. Like i had to wait a month for totals to come in for Dumbo.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Yeah, it’s the lowest opening X-men movie.

Which is looking worse with the B- cinema score.

It’s just oof all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, it’s the lowest opening X-men movie.

Which is looking worse with the B- cinema score.

It’s just oof all round.
    Well the other Dark Phoenix threads are dropping leaks like crazy and it looks like it was a terrible mixture of corporate incompetency, terrible writing and overall wasting everyones time.