Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member

The Doflamingo/Luffy fight was really stretched in the anime.

It was more of brutal beatdown bordering on stomp in the manga.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    On the flip side, he defeated Katakuri pretty much completely on his own and I'd argue that Katakuri is stronger than Doflamingo.
    It's hard to say how Katakuri compares to Doflamingo, considering that Doflamingo was injured by Law fairly early in the match and would have still killed Luffy without outside interference. Similarly, Katakuri had Luffy dead to rights, but didn't deliver the couple de grace because of his donut schedule, and Luffy had to use his hostage to escape got a bit of a breather during that fight as well.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

as a note, katakuri was one of the most well thought out and executed OP bad asses in not just one piece but in manga in general. he's one of the 3 sweet commanders of the big mom pirates and considered the strongest fighter in the whole crew, outside of his mother. dude was such a uber threat that bege said that the only really hitch in his plan was katakuri, due to his observation haki.

the fight itself was a stand-out since katakuri was such a cool guy. at the start of the fight, he originally said that while luffy was below him in terms combat skills and power, he still could be a threat to his crew in the future. he even went so far as to say he wasn't underestimating him or anything. he just didn't see how he could win against him. honestly, if they weren't on opposite sides, i think they would've been friends.

oh and we forgot to mention that luffy has a fleet on his side now.

after the dressrosa arc ended, many famous pirates and powerful fighters in the new world who were saved by luffy and his crew decided to swear loyalty to him as his fleet. luffy, being luffy, didn't want to be in command of such a fleet but instead just made them friends who would come to each others aid in times of need. the fleet consists of 7 crews captained by 7 powerful pirates from across many different races and tribes.

Extraordinary Member

Let's detail Luffy's use of the three forms of haki.

He seems most proficient with armament haki, which gives him a sort of skintight armor that adds to his durability and increases his striking power. But the most beneficial aspect of it is that it allows him to hit logia users without his strikes passing through their elemental forms.

Then there's observation haki, which is basically combat precog. He's still honing this version of haki but took some nice strides during his fight against Katakuri. Before that he used it to effortlessly dodge a close range barrage of water bullets that crossed through half a city in no time.

Finally there's emperor's haki. Luffy can basically use his own overpowering presence to knock out lesser enemies. On Fishman island he did this to 50 000 dudes at once. This is the most nebulous in terms of usage as it's only been shown to be effective against pretty weak dudes. But it's a cool trick though.

Oh, and he's got some major resistance to poison now. He's actually flat out immune to all but the strongest poisons in the world of One Piece.

it should also be noted that luffy no longer shrinks after using gear 3rd and while in said mode, he can attack just as fast as he can in his normal form or gear 2nd.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    it should also be noted that luffy no longer shrinks after using gear 3rd
    That's what she said.

I'll see myself out.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Looks fun.

Astonishing Member

Mmmh. Beating Katakuri felt like a bit of an ass-pull to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    didn't feel like it to me. in the end, it came down to a contest of wills.

Extraordinary Member

It has a few caveats in it, but once Luffy figured out how to hit Katakuri it turned into an endurance contest and Luffy just barely held out against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It has a few caveats in it, but once Luffy figured out how to hit Katakuri it turned into an endurance contest and Luffy just barely held out against that.
    it really came down to the wire on that one. luffy just wanted it a tiny bit more.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I mean Luffy literally had to run away and take a ten minute break because he stopped being able to use Haki midway through the fight. If he hadn't done that he would have lost clean.

And if Katakuri hadn't had a sense of honour and blown a hole in himself over Luffy getting shoot by his kid sister, Luffy would have lost.

And if Katakuri had not decided to go eat donuts rather than making sure Luffy was dead, Luffy would have lost.

He got very lucky and he managed to get a double KO and had more physical resilience to fall back on. Where exactly do you see the asspulling happening?

Thread resurrection! I figured enough time has passed that we can bring in The Kaido Fight.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Really?? A MOD doing Thread Necro?? *tsk* *Tsk*

And yet if I did that, it would be "baiting trolls that are no longer around to argue with you" and "a nuisance".

The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!