Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think that post really needs its own thread, so we can bury this one.

OK, done.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...33#post4165333

He's hating. The losses of JL surely affected WB, but not DC. The success or failures of comic movies have little affect on comics. If it were so, Marvel would have a stranglehold on the comics industry.

Most of it is cost. $3.99 for comics is a lot to swallow. Most shops give a 10% to 15% discount if you have a pull box, but it's not much. I'm right on the border of it being cheaper for me to use DCBS (shipping currently puts me on the side of LCS). Back isues can be had much cheaper on eBay usually. The only time I buy back issues from LCS is if it's very hard to find or if they are having a big sale (usually once or twice a year).

So I see it as a cross between competition from online sources and cost of product for the reduction inf LCS numbers.

If they ever stop printing books, I'll be done. You don't own digital and there is no back issue market whatsoever with it. I have every issue of Batman from Vol 1 #300 through the current issue of Vol 3. And I could sell the whole thing if I wanted to, can't say the same of digital.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

goldenknight2018

I was thinking about what Etan Van Sciver says about DC layoffs. But I guess. Layoffs had to do with low sales or too many titles.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenknight2018 View Post
    I was thinking about what Etan Van Sciver says about DC layoffs. But I guess. Layoffs had to do with low sales or too many titles.
    Rather, this is part of a greater layoff within WB. The DC Publishing's sister division WB Consumer Products is laying off 10% of its workfoce.

Now, there is probably office politics aplenty in who stays and who goes, but this layoff was mandated from up high and was not targeted specifically at DC Publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I used to love his art but after he started making white supremacist-like statements and told a comic reader to kill himself, I lost all respect and admiration for him. I haven't bought anything he's worked on since then. If he really wants to help the industry, he should be suggesting solutions instead of just gossiping and complaining.
    My favorite part was when him and others were using Darwyn Cooke to prop up their bullshit (apologies, Ethan stopped at vague "Darwyn was an individualist who went against the grain" statements) and arguing with Mrs. Cooke about who knew Darwyn better.
    Last edited by WhipWhirlwind; 01-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldenknight2018 View Post
    Except this has rarely been the case. The performance or underperformance of titles have very little correlation with job losses at DC. Or we'd have seen people been let go whenever DC sales are in a slump.

Extraordinary Member

He is just taking tidbits from all over the place and pandering to his viewers.

YouTube is an entertainment platform. This kind of drama attracts people, but it rarely has much weight when passed on beyond its target audience, in fact it is pretty much disposable.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I would take this seriously if it was coming from anyone else right now. EVS went off the deep end with the Comicsgate crap and he clearly has a huge axe to grind with the mainstream comics industry.

And, yes, the future of the industry is up in the air but I've been reading comics for well over 25 years now and I've been hearing the "comics are doomed" thing pretty much throughout that time - but most especially from when the internet started to gain traction.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I would take this seriously if it was coming from anyone else right now. EVS went off the deep end with the Comicsgate crap and he clearly has a huge axe to grind with the mainstream comics industry.

And, yes, the future of the industry is up in the air but I've been reading comics for well over 25 years now and I've been hearing the "comics are doomed" thing pretty much throughout that time - but most especially from when the internet started to gain traction.
    Not a single week passes at CBR without a new "the sky is falling" thread about the imminent death of the comics industry...which has been "imminent" since the Spice Girls and Hanson were the newest, hottest acts in pop music.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep. What Van Civer is saying here doesn't make any sense.
    That has been true for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Not a single week passes at CBR without a new "the sky is falling" thread about the imminent death of the comics industry...which has been "imminent" since the Spice Girls and Hanson were the newest, hottest acts in pop music.

Jesus, Buried, Hanson? You really wanna make the youngsters on this forum go "WHAT?", don't you? XD
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Jesus, Buried, Hanson? You really wanna make the youngsters on this forum go "WHAT?", don't you? XD
    Hey, well...I've been enjoying these funny books since Elvis Presley played his last live gig and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER was topping the charts.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The death of comics has been imminent at least since Diana first met the Phantom!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Hey, well...I've been enjoying these funny books since Elvis Presley played his last live gig and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER was topping the charts.

I was already reading funnybooks when Elvis was considered to be The Devil by most American parents.

Yeah, I'm just going to close this thread.
    We all know that comicsgate is toxic and I'd rather said toxicity not infect these forums.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules