Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Doomsday Clock 12: And Beyond

I won't post spoilers here at this early moment, but I have put some reactions to the series finale on my blog. On a high level, I don't much discuss the details of the issue so much as the broad points of the series overall, which was already 11/12ths complete before this. However, there are spoilers in my post, so anyone who wants to avoid those should refrain.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2019/12/d...-clock-12.html

I will post a more details-oriented breakdown in the days to come, but my reaction to the series as a whole is something that I can offer without breaking down who said what in which panel.

Incredible Member

In a way, the HBO series "Watchmen" is the sequel to Doomsday Clock...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Wow, you are quicker than I expected. It's going to take me a while longer to digest all this. Johns & Frank delivered quite a lot here.

That's one of the best comics I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    That was my headcanon .

I liked this ending, i liked the message in it, about Hope and how it affected Jon in the end to do what he did.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I liked this ending, i liked the message in it, about Hope and how it affected Jon in the end to do what he did.
    Not just Manhattan but also Reggie.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    It was certainly interesting to have them come across the finish line the same week. The HBO series interfaced with DC not as much, although:

Hooded Justice origin was like that of Superman (child surviving the destruction of his world) and Batman (inspired by masked man in movie).

Sister Night's origin was like that of Batman (death of parents).

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It's been a great mini, it's gone in the direction i want for DC.
    JSA, Legion, the Kents are back, hope is back.

Anyway, as you said, this work seem to be far away from where DC is really headed now.
    Johns voice is totally out of the chorus.

My fear is that what should have been the way to restore the DC i loved will soon be ignored. It will be remebered as a great work out of continuity.

The only book I'm reading nowadays with passion and interest is finished, solicists for March 2020 have nothing I care for.

Johns lost, Didio won. Hope loses, darkness wins

BANNED

Doomsday Clock is in the future.

There is a moment in the book where I openly started crying when I saw it. A moment I been waiting for since New 52. I just hope its not ignored.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow, you are quicker than I expected. It's going to take me a while longer to digest all this. Johns & Frank delivered quite a lot here.
    I felt like the end of the series shifted my usual focus from augury regarding what would happen next (in the same work by the same writer) to wondering how this would fit into the big picture of future works by other writers, a matter regarding which the small clues are probably not that important.

I'm still very interested in admiring the vision that Johns laid out, but that can wait a beat.

I've drafted a couple of unfinished pieces expressing a gripe regarding the Depressoverse – one before Morrison dubbed it that, and one after. With that heavy in my mind, it made me wonder if, in the larger body of work put out by DC in the 2020s, will we see that Superman's mindset prevails or will we see the Watchmen mindset prevail?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    There is a moment in the book where I openly started crying when I saw it. A moment I been waiting for since New 52. I just hope its not ignored.
    I think we can guess what that moment was.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

As antagonizing as the delays were, this was well worth the wait. I've been a die-hard fan of Geoff Johns for 2 decades and even I was wondering if he could wrap everything up that he started in issue 12 but he did and in a neat little bow. I love the revelations/changes made to Superman, Wonder Woman, the Justice Society, Earth 1985, and the Legion of Super Heroes. I'm really hoping we get some books showing more details on how all of these characters' histories play out. Ideally, I'd like to see the following:

Sensation Comics - Wonder Woman's World War II adventures

All-Star Comics - JSA's World War II adventures

1985 - Adventures of the Earth 1985 characters

Justice Society of America - Modern Main Earth JSA adventures

Earth 2 - Adventures of the Earth 2 characters
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Wait, if the Kents are alive again, did Clark put them in danger by revealing his identity?