Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Finally read IRREDEEMABLE (Spoilers Galore)

I had avoided this series when it was originally published because I was somewhat fed up of "evil Superman turns on the world" stories. But it was available on Comixology Unlimited so I finally gave it a try.

I'm really glad I did. It was an amazing story, and I loved the end when Plutonian's essence became the inspiration for the fictional Superman.

The only aspect I didn't like about the story was Waid establishing repeatedly that Plutonian's ultimate desire was to be seen as a hero again, and to erase his heinous acts. But he demonstrated zero desire or willingness to be anything other than a villain. Injustice Superman may be lost but he still believes he's acting in the greater good and demonstrates heroic acts. It was something that I felt wasn't really rectified throughout the story.

Even still, I really enjoyed it and will definitely recommend to others.

Irredeemable, at its core, is not a "What if Superman turned evil" story. It is a "What if some guy with Superman's powers tried to be Superman for all the wrong reasons?"

Okay, as long as we’re talking about IRREDEEMABLE, what about its sister series, INCORRUPTIBLE?
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Irredeemable, at its core, is not a "What if Superman turned evil" story. It is a "What if some guy with Superman's powers tried to be Superman for all the wrong reasons?"
    I wouldn't even say it's that. I would say that it's more "what if an emotionally unstable guy had Superman's powers and made a mistake?".

To me, there's no wrong reason to do the right thing. Even if someone does it because he or she wants notoriety or fame, the act of doing good trumps that selfish drive, in my opinion.

Plutonian used his powers for heroism because his last foster father actually taught him responsibility and putting others first, something he had not really encountered by being rejected by his previous foster families. But this didn't alter the fact that he still held onto all the resentment from being rejected by others for so long, or that he formed by drawing from the emotions of a mentally ill mother who had just murdered her child . Then he made an unintentional but ultimately disastrous mistake that resulted in the deaths of countless children, and had his best friend reject him as a result. There was no turning back at that point.