Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The only one that isn't good to great is the first season of IF. You'll be soured on the character forever if you start with that one.
    The Defenders was a bad set of episodes. Really, really badly done.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    4,099

    Default

    i started watching Daredevil and I am a few shows in. The fight scenes do seem to tack on. The Daredevil in the comics had no trouble with normal thugs. This the thugs in the show seem to give him a run for his money.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Daredevil and The Punisher? Sure

    The others? I wouldn’t recommend them.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    The Defenders was a bad set of episodes. Really, really badly done.
    I enjoyed it. But that may be because it was coming off of the stench that was the first season of IF. The only current Marvel tv show worse than that was Inhumans, which I couldn't even finish.
    "Overturn everything! Can't he just write an executive order that says: 'Everything Trump did is now overturned. F**k that guy.' signed, Joe Biden."

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    i started watching Daredevil and I am a few shows in. The fight scenes do seem to tack on. The Daredevil in the comics had no trouble with normal thugs. This the thugs in the show seem to give him a run for his money.
    If you're starting with the first season, keep in mind, it's supposed to literally take place the first few months he started the whole vigilante-thing. He does evolve not only in his fighting skills, but also as a character. And I dunno, as an avid action movie fan, I've really grown tired of invincible protagonists the bad guys can never even touch. Seeing the hero sweat a little for the win is always more satisfying, imho.
    "Overturn everything! Can't he just write an executive order that says: 'Everything Trump did is now overturned. F**k that guy.' signed, Joe Biden."

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I enjoyed it. But that may be because it was coming off of the stench that was the first season of IF. The only current Marvel tv show worse than that was Inhumans, which I couldn't even finish.
    I really like what you said about DD1 and how he grows as a hero, that's a great post.

    I just found The Defenders to be a pretty sloppily put together. And the Hand's plan was too silly for me to buy into.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I really like what you said about DD1 and how he grows as a hero, that's a great post.

    I just found The Defenders to be a pretty sloppily put together. And the Hand's plan was too silly for me to buy into.
    Completely valid criticism. Admittedly, as a HUGE fan of The Hand in the comics, this is not the way I would have chosen to portray them on tv or in the movies. It didn't bother me as much as it did others, obviously, but I can completely see where you're coming from.

    I think I just liked the chemistry the main protagonists had along with the supporting cast. Watching them bounce off each other the way they did is something I just found pretty satisfying.
    "Overturn everything! Can't he just write an executive order that says: 'Everything Trump did is now overturned. F**k that guy.' signed, Joe Biden."

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Completely valid criticism. Admittedly, as a HUGE fan of The Hand in the comics, this is not the way I would have chosen to portray them on tv or in the movies. It didn't bother me as much as it did others, obviously, but I can completely see where you're coming from.

    I think I just liked the chemistry the main protagonists had along with the supporting cast. Watching them bounce off each other the way they did is something I just found pretty satisfying.
    I think had they handled IF better from the start and had a better story, the chemistry would've been a shining point for me as well. Unfortunately, it got lost in the noise for me.

  9. #24
    Swollen Member GOLGO 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,846

    Default

    I watched 6 episodes of Iron Fist just to see if it was that bad, y'know? Wow...just wow. It's like an example of how do you destroy a Marvel property in the most hate-filled, spiteful way possible.

    Part of the way in episode #7 I had began to question some of my life choices & I immediately stopped watching. I don't care to know how it ended.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I think had they handled IF better from the start and had a better story, the chemistry would've been a shining point for me as well. Unfortunately, it got lost in the noise for me.
    I agree, although somehow that didn't prevent me from enjoying The Defenders. I think I was just grateful that he no longer carried himself as a self-important child.
    "Overturn everything! Can't he just write an executive order that says: 'Everything Trump did is now overturned. F**k that guy.' signed, Joe Biden."

  11. #26
    Mighty Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,939

    Default

    Others may chime in, but I could not binge watch Daredevil. One episode was about it in an evening.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

    Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Earth (will move to Bajor soon)
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Absolutely! Watch them when you have the chance, especially Daredevil.

  13. #28
    Mighty Member Dr. Skeleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    I loved Daredevil, Luke Cage and Defenders although I wished it was called Heroes For Hire. I tried getting into Jessica Jones, but lost interests during season one. Punisher tends to be a tad boring and would drag at times. Didn't bothered with Iron Fist due to bad word of mouth and felt it would bore me to tears.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I am thinking of getting Netflix for the Marvel shows on there like Daredevil and Luke Cage. Are these shows any good?
    Definitely for Daredevil particularly S1 and S3. S1 is excellent. Jessica Jones S1 is good.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 02-02-2019 at 07:05 AM.

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I loved Daredevil, Luke Cage and Defenders although I wished it was called Heroes For Hire. I tried getting into Jessica Jones, but lost interests during season one. Punisher tends to be a tad boring and would drag at times. Didn't bothered with Iron Fist due to bad word of mouth and felt it would bore me to tears.
    I'd encourage you to judge for yourself. I also stayed away from Iron Fist for months due to the bad comments. One boring Sunday afternoon I turned it on for something to roll my eyes at. Lo and Behold, I discovered it was the most tightly-written and generally entertaining of all the Marvel Netflix series. There is some bad cinematography, which makes the actors look like they don't know how to fight but is really just the wrong camera angle. But all in all it was a surprisingly engaging series, despite what all the naysayers here want to say against it.

    My opinion, make up your own mind. You'll know within 90 minutes or less if it's for you (I'll admit it's going to take more than 15 minutes to get a good feel for it).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •