Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 LastLast

Good/bad news depending on your outlook/mood/disposition.....

Rogue got 24th in CBRs popularity poll, She got my first place vote, so I did all I could.
    https://www.cbr.com/top-marvel-characters-25-21/

If Rogue is meant to be pensive/moody in Excalibur (and I'm not entirely sure she is, just that she's got something on her mind), I get where she's coming from. She's just had a conversation with her new husband in which they agreed they weren't ready to have kids, and now they're both on an island whose third founding principle is 'make mutant babies'. That puts a lot of responsibility on Rogue (and every other female mutant of child bearing age) to save their species from extinction. That's more than parents-nagging-at-you pressure.

The beach/walk scene, I took as her being chilled, the Cats retort was funny, as in, 'it's not the time and place to be funny Gambit', and I get it, cats can be a hassle. Plus weren't they a gift to Gambit from Mystique, Rogues probably getting a bit pissed at dealing with more Raven baggage.

And Rogue doesn't/shouldn't be having to fawn over Gambit every panel, ffs, Romy fans are already calling her robotic and shit. Sheesh

There are 3 fanbases in this relationship, they all need be considered and catered for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    The beach/walk scene, I took as her being chilled, the Cats retort was funny, as in, 'it's not the time and place to be funny Gambit', and I get it, cats can be a hassle. Plus weren't they a gift to Gambit from Mystique, Rogues probably getting a bit pissed at dealing with more Raven baggage.

And Rogue doesn't/shouldn't be having to fawn over Gambit every panel, ffs, Romy fans are already calling her robotic and shit. Sheesh

There are 3 fanbases in this relationship, they all need be considered and catered for.
    This is very strikingly true. I like Rogue and Gambit, but I want them each to have their own interests, developments and stories. I hate when writers treat a couple like one character. I don't venture much into the Romy thread not because I mind the relationship itself, but a lot their enthusiasm and attention towards the characters I just don't vibe with.

Like Rogue getting pregnant... I just don't see it doing any good for the character long-term. It'd help if I could point to a character where I've enjoyed their journey into parenthood and that it was handled well within a sliding time-scale, but there really isn't precedent. Plus it's just another reason to bench the character. I guess Jubilee is a counter-example? But she isn't very consistently used either. there's time-travel and/or other shenanigans to age children up but those feel cheap

On the otherhand, I enjoyed X-Men: The End Rogue as a mother because she was loving, tough, while retaining her reckless and brave personality. It's just getting to that point from this somewhat frustrating honeymoon phase where they are a bit too wrapped up in each other. Get it together, girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    If Rogue is meant to be pensive/moody in Excalibur (and I'm not entirely sure she is, just that she's got something on her mind), I get where she's coming from. She's just had a conversation with her new husband in which they agreed they weren't ready to have kids, and now they're both on an island whose third founding principle is 'make mutant babies'. That puts a lot of responsibility on Rogue (and every other female mutant of child bearing age) to save their species from extinction. That's more than parents-nagging-at-you pressure.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to disregard your post, I took the opportunity to go off on one about cats!!

I think you've shown her more consideration/empathy than others with the 'pensive' wondering, you could be right.

It may, as you've described the 'responsibility', be a way to halt the baby, impregnate her, fever, maybe the X-office will/are just showing us all a way/reason to cool the loins, so to speak.

We've had nothing but teasing/trolling of this for months now. This thread shows, we ain't got the enthusiasm for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    This is very strikingly true. I like Rogue and Gambit, but I want them each to have their own interests, developments and stories. I hate when writers treat a couple like one character. I don't venture much into the Romy thread not because I mind the relationship itself, but a lot their enthusiasm and attention towards the characters I just don't vibe with.

Like Rogue getting pregnant... I just don't see it doing any good for the character long-term. It'd help if I could point to a character where I've enjoyed their journey into parenthood and that it was handled well within a sliding time-scale, but there really isn't precedent. Plus it's just another reason to bench the character. I guess Jubilee is a counter-example? But she isn't very consistently used either. there's time-travel and/or other shenanigans to age children up but those feel cheap

On the otherhand, I enjoyed X-Men: The End Rogue as a mother because she was loving, tough, while retaining her reckless and brave personality. It's just getting to that point from this somewhat frustrating honeymoon phase where they are a bit too wrapped up in each other. Get it together, girl.
    Yep, Absolutely, I'm with you on all accounts.

And Shogos lack of ageing has made me even more hesitant, it's a dauntingly long status to be enthusiastic about.

Anyways, Soooo, Dare I ask, What did we all think? Of Excalibur, or anything else, I suppose.

Personally, Its grown on me. I wasn't as sure on first read, but I'm noticing more interesting things on further reads.

I had a theory pop up in my noggin'....
    spoilers:
    Concerning the sleep stasis, possible host possession, Krakoa Vs Arrako and Inferno teases - What if Arrako is a mirror world, with a counter to Apocalypse on the other side, maybe the White Witch, maybe there are 4 other counter horsemen, maybe one of them or the Witch is the possession, maybe Rogue awakens as a bona fide Rogue *shiver* But then a counter to Apocalypse may very well be the genuine, eventual good
    end of spoilers

Sorry, I didn't mean to disregard your post, I took the opportunity to go off on one about cats!!

I think you've shown her more consideration/empathy than others with the 'pensive' wondering, you could be right.

It may, as you've described the 'responsibility', be a way to halt the baby, impregnate her, fever, maybe the X-office will/are just showing us all a way/reason to cool the loins, so to speak.

We've had nothing but teasing/trolling of this for months now. This thread shows, we ain't got the enthusiasm for it yet.

Yep, Absolutely, I'm with you on all accounts.

And Shogos lack of ageing has made me even more hesitant, it's a dauntingly long status to be enthusiastic about.

Anyways, Soooo, Dare I ask, What did we all think? Of Excalibur, or anything else, I suppose.

Personally, Its grown on me. I wasn't as sure on first read, but I'm noticing more interesting things on further reads.

spoilers:
    Concerning the sleep stasis, possible host possession, Krakoa Vs Arrako and Inferno teases - What if Arrako is a mirror world, with a counter to Apocalypse on the other side, maybe the White Witch, maybe there are 4 other counter horsemen, maybe one of them or the Witch is the possession, maybe Rogue awakens as a bona fide Rogue *shiver* But then a counter to Apocalypse may very well be the genuine, eventual good
    end of spoilers
    I enjoyed this first issue, Interested in seeing what Rogue's role is gonna be in this first arc.
    Your theory is interesting, and could be a thing...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

I've never agreed with a post more. I miss Claremont's tough biker Rogue.

Also I liked Excalibur for the most part. I went in not expected a whole lot from Rogue being that the first issue needs to set up Betsy, but I'm intrigued by what's happening to her. I really hope she doesn't end up pregnant, but they've clearly foreshadowed it.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    As a Rogue fan, it was kinda meh. Short role, foreboding words spoilers:
    for those that do not want pregnancy
    end of spoilers, and a sort of off voice. Also spoilers:
    as some people in the Excalibur thread have brought up, I am confused on her power status. Why is she having issue with control again? One of the things I did appreciate coming out of Mr & Mrs X was the progression in her powers and taking it a new direction, so I hope whatever ends happening with the grove and host does not undo that. though i seem to be in the minority there lol
    end of spoilers

As an X-Men fan spoilers:
    I think Tini seems to have some interesting new concept and world-building ideas for magic, Otherworld, and Psylocke. Those aspects of the issue I did enjoy, but since I'm mostly reading Excalibur for Rogue if she isn't being written satisfactory its gonna bug me and keep from enjoying the story. The pettiness of a super fan lol.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Washout
    I've never agreed with a post more. I miss Claremont's tough biker Rogue.
    Thanks! And yea, I <3 mechanic Rogue. Though I'm a bit iffy on the tattoos he insisted on giving her. xD
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 10-31-2019 at 03:59 PM.

On her current Excalibur powerset

While we don't get anything definite confirmed, I do think things are just as they were left after MMX

I'm thinking;

She didn't need the power suppressing bracelet, to show that she was fearless and comfortable on the island.

The mention of the bracelet could be a device for later, or to show that she'll always need the reassurance of it, Cap has his shield, Gambit his cards and staff, Rogue has the bracelet

She didn't actually touch the portal, only the stone pillars, and so the distance absorption could still be in-effect. All the other characters were told to stay back.
    Last edited by Ultimate Rogue; 11-02-2019 at 01:01 PM.

I don't think relying on power dampeners is healthy for her though. Don't those things have long-term side-effects? Otherwise why not just use them all the time?

But yeah, I noticed she wasn't touching the portal so her ranged absorption seems to still be active. Kinda wish the art made it more clear that she was absorbing some of the gates energy, like Mr & Mrs X with the green mist effect.

On another note, blatantly stolen from an X-Men Reddit thread credit to user I_Burn_Cereal and might probably fit better in the Romy thread but... this picture is so cute! Rogue in pigtails! <3 It reminds me of her Red Guard look from House of M.

by Gleb Melnikov

I love the artists Chris Bachalo-esque style.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 11-04-2019 at 02:42 AM.

I don't think relying on power dampeners is healthy for her though. Don't those things have long-term side-effects? Otherwise why not just use them all the time?

But yeah, I noticed she wasn't touching the portal so her ranged absorption seems to still be active. Kinda wish the art made it more clear that she was absorbing some of the gates energy, like Mr & Mrs X with the green mist effect.

On another note, blatantly stolen from an X-Men Reddit thread credit to user I_Burn_Cereal and might probably fit better in the Romy thread but... this picture is so cute! Rogue in pigtails! <3 It reminds me of her Red Guard look from House of M.

by Gleb Melnikov

I love the artists Chris Bachalo-esque style.
    Her Red Guard look is one of my favorites:

In a sense, in reading the first issue of Excalibur, I'm feeling a De Javu all over again.
    30 years ago, Rogue was also neutralized by a magical portal called the Seige Perilous trying to save her friends. Betsy also went into the Seige. While Rogue was treading water for more than a year, the emphases were shifted to the new and improved mutant Ninja Psylocke.

Astonishing Member

Lol, and the siege perilous also has a loose con ego Arthurian legends. I don’t think long term effects have ever been mentioned for any of the restraining devices.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Her Red Guard look is one of my favorites:
    Man, I loved those uniforms for everyone. So cool
    Make Good Art

That's a nice piece by Gleb Melnikov, they both look dangerous, Cool.

And chalk me up as another that appreciates the House of M designs;

Really random and fun roster, would've really liked seeing more

I started collecting at the time, sporadically, and so was confused by it all, and have lost/gave away the issues that I had.

Later I read about the whole point of that reality was that it was created by the Scarlet Witch and Charles Xavier combining their powers to give the assembled New Avengers and X-Men their hearts' desires, which made me dismiss the whole thing, as WTF, nah man, Rogue and the other Red Guardians hearts' desires ain't being shield operatives, get outta here Bendis with that silliness, but...

I watched a documentary the other night about Chinas history, and a Red Guard was mentioned, as a mass student-led paramilitary social movement, that came to be, because of millions of people were dying of famine, they are folk heroes in China. Not so much heroic globally, maybe, as they were the beginning of communist party, moving China away from a short period of democracy.

Maybe the Red Guard were meant to be becoming more renegades than I had initially seen. I might just re-collect the story again.