Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

The new Fury is the one that Marvel wants to push, which is perfectly fair because Marvel is pitching to audiences who found comics through the movies.

The only way for old Fury to come back is for the current run of movies to end and be mostly forgotten. Then, there would need to be a push from (or supported by) editorial to use the old Fury. My guess for that sort of time table would be at least 5 years, probably more.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Mighty Member

OG Fury will be back at some point. There is too much history with decades on and off of SHIELD series featuring him. As for public perception, the Sam Jackson version has been pushed since Iron Man. Before that though it was OG Fury who had his own movie (played by Zardu Hasselfrau), and appeared in the Spider-Man, Iron Man, and X-Men Evolution cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    The Samuel L Jackson version is too popular. But, the problem they have is that the Mark Johnson version is not as interesting. They need to bring back the Ultimate version of Nick Fury in the 616.
    This. I'm still unsure how Marcus skipped to the front of the line. Didn't old Nick groom Daisy to be his replacement (as stupid as that was)?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Neither version is popular enough to sustain a regular series on their own, it would be better for both to team them up. A father/son spy comic might actually please everybody.
    I like the sound of that actually

I still can't believe they didn't use Secret Wars to bring Ultimate Nick Fury over to the 616. Literally the easiest solution instead of a weird, convoluted 'secret son'

I'm always amazed they didn't just have Ultimate Fury replace 616 Fury, would have been a lot less complicated and forced.

Anyway to the question, maybe after MCU Fury has run it's course and he's either killed off or Sam Jackson retires from the role, can't see it before then.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    This. I'm still unsure how Marcus skipped to the front of the line. Didn't old Nick groom Daisy to be his replacement (as stupid as that was)?
    Quake WAS leader of SHIELD. Didn't last long.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I still can't believe they didn't use Secret Wars to bring Ultimate Nick Fury over to the 616. Literally the easiest solution instead of a weird, convoluted 'secret son'
    This. It was the easiest solution. They can push him all they want, Marcus Johnson is too "perfect" to be a replacement of OG fury. He has no ambiguity, no grey areas.
    OG Nick Fury and Ultimate were the same archetype: Someone who think that the end justifies the means, someone that we can love because he can do what the heroes can't, and someone we hate sometime because he goes too far. Like in real life.

Like Vic Mackey on "The shield" or Walter White on "Breaking Bad", he is someone that we root for, and at the same time despise. He is complex, like the world we live in.
    But as an European, I understand why he was replaced by Marcus Johnson and not by Ultimate Nick Fury: you live in a Post-Trump World, where there is only, depending your political afflilation, "fascist" or "snowflake". Someone who do bad thing, even for the greater good, can't be, sometimes, a hero. Sadly I think that we will stick with Marcus Johnson for a long time.
    Last edited by lordozone; 01-29-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Fury Jr. was last seen making deals with Baron Zemo and handing the Punisher high-tier weaponry so Frank could solve a problem created by the Shield collapse for him through mass murder.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    This. It was the easiest solution. They can push him all they want, Marcus Johnson is too "perfect" to be a replacement of OG fury. He has no ambiguity, no grey areas.
    OG Nick Fury and Ultimate were the same archetype: Someone who think that the end justifies the means, someone that we can love because he can do what the heroes can't, and someone we hate sometime because he goes too far. Like in real life.
    Agreed. They dropped the ball BAD by shooting for this convoluted Marcus version instead of the easy layup Hickman gave them with Secret Wars. Even in a post-Secret Wars world, you could do some of that residual time-displacement stuff like what was done with the Squadron Supreme team or what Al Ewing did with bringing back the original Ultimates in his Ultimates v2 book.

The Sam Jack Fury went through enough **** in the 15+ years leading up to Secret Wars that it would've been interesting seeing him maneuver his way back to prominence in 616 Marvel, including all the new interactions with the 616 folks
    Black Panther vs Thor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baO2V3qTuMc&t=3s
    Ref: Avengers Assemble Season 5: Black Panther Quest Ep13

Yeah, just using Secret Wars to bring in Ultimate Fury (or retcon that a Sam Jackson Nick Fury had "always" been "the" Nick Fury via the event rewriting history a la Miles Morales) probably would've been better.

That said, G1 Nick Fury is gone; the Sam Jackson Fury has become too integrated into the franchise and defined the character for too long. That is the real Nick Fury now, at least the real one for the future audiences and customers. Change may be an illusion in comics and the status quo may always revert itself, but, as Alan Scott, Mar-Vell, and the Human Torch can attest, when a replacement character becomes the real one, there's no going back.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Change may be an illusion in comics and the status quo may always revert itself, but, as Alan Scott, Mar-Vell, and the Human Torch can attest, when a replacement character becomes the real one, there's no going back.
    There are exceptions like Barry Allen vs Wally West though, so nothing is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, just using Secret Wars to bring in Ultimate Fury (or retcon that a Sam Jackson Nick Fury had "always" been "the" Nick Fury via the event rewriting history a la Miles Morales) probably would've been better..
    Multiple people are saying this and it not really true

1. Forcing Ultimate Fury in would have just pissed off Old Nick Fury fans. Yes people knew Jr would inevitably replace senor but leaving Old Nick around escape let him escape most of the big hate replacement character normally gets and the change would have been especially frustrating one since it just a movie synergy thing basically.

2. Magically changing Nick to always black or using the Ultimate version are more convoluted than a black son. If he was always black then explain his earlier white appearances or if you use ultimate version what happens the old one or the fact that everyone knows the white one exists.

People mistake a poorly executed story for a bad idea, Nick Fury having son is perfectly fine,If they didn't try to make it a big mystery and just did a straight up story where the character look like Sam Jackson from the beginning it would have been fine. They didn't have to take out his eye in the story,It could have been a running prank in future stories like Hot tub time machine where you know the person is going to lose body part. Nick Fury has a son is simple and clean. People are pretending that Battle Scars was some sort of big seller and most of Marvel's fan base read and remember it. It doesn't matter that Marvel dirtied kitchen when making the food,Marvel is serving the food now and how the food taste is what matters. Nick Jr has been 616 as agent for "years" now there is no really no difference between Ultimate Fury and him and more. You can tell the same exact stories in fact he is currently in punisher doing some morally questionable stuff and he is operating from the shadows.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-30-2019 at 04:42 AM.

In truth Marvel should have just kept both. The switching around of characters instead of pushing both equally is why Marvel comics is in the predicament that they are in today for sales. A lot of people hopped out of comics in the last 3-4 years (give or take a few years) and it mostly lay at the feet of Marvel's poor editorial decisions.

No reason they couldn't just have both with separate but equal motivations and goals.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-30-2019 at 04:32 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I dont get why people want Ultimate Nick Fury, the mans a bastard. 616 Nick may have fucked up on occasion but he's never been as bad as Ult Nick Fury.