Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Black Canary - her own franchise?

Not as Green Arrow's partner.

Not as a Birds of Prey member.

As the legitimate alpha character of her own franchise.

Will it ever happen? And by "happen", I mean will it ever stick?

Me: while it could happen (as can literally anything in comics over any period of time), once you factor in probability, I gotta say ... no?

Maybe other more genuine fans of the character can speak on this.

Outside of Green Arrow and the Birds of Prey, what ingredients of a franchise does Black Canary have?

Unique power/skill set? Singular iconic look? Unique combo of personality traits? Existing rogues gallery of her own? A personal arch-nemesis? Unique personal sporting cast? Setting? Love interests apart from Ollie?

Maybe she does or did at one point. I know she's had several ongoing solo series and miniseries (way more than poor Vixen, who doesn't ever taste even a solo one-shot ).

But from the outside looking in, BC seems destined to be splitting all her time between both Green Arrow's franchise and the BOP franchise (within the Batverse).

Will Black Canary ever get A-list status on her own?

I could see her as a solo character but I wouldn't want to turn her into a franchise character.

Not everyone should have 10 sidekicks running around. Gets to the point where it devalues the originals.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

Not everyone should have 10 sidekicks running around. Gets to the point where it devalues the originals.
    Totally need Canary-Kid sidekick, the reverse-distaff Man-Canary, the Canary Corps: White Canary(she absorbs sound making things really, really quiet LOL!), Red Canary, Gold Canary, etc... and The Canaries of all Nations: Canaria of the Canary Islands, Gloster Fancy Canary of England, etc. And of course, the ever useful Coalmine-Canary, when she passes out you know it's time to GTFO!
    LOL! / Jk

Honestly continued attempts at solos is the way to go. I don't know that a canary "family" is what she needs.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Not as a Birds of Prey member.
    And having a team prominently associated with her, as far as recognition and prominence, your're not going to do much better than BOP which is already very strongly associated with her, and a great vehicle for the character.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-29-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Her solo books were never particularity successful. But why is something I don't really understand, she seems to be quite popular, and the team books she was in did also usually quite good (at least pre flashpoint).

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

A franchise? Not a chance. A solo book, though, would be good. I don't think it would sell with anything but an a-list creative team but, sure, she's a great character who is reasonably popular.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Her last solo as some kind of rock singer was an interesting choice, but that's not what I'd want to read.

Black Canary has had a long and rich history in the DCU and as the OP stated, she's been all over the place. If the right writer came along, there would be so much from her past that one could cherry-pick from to use as fodder for an ongoing solo. I'm sure that there'd be a bunch of questions regarding her continuity, but DC is such a mess now with that I'm sure they'd be okay if any team wanted to come along and say, "THIS is what her continuity is" (barring huge discrepancies involving other big name characters)

I would totally be into buying that.

Probably not.

Best start small and shoot for another solo.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    . . . I know she's had several ongoing solo series and miniseries (way more than poor Vixen, who doesn't ever taste even a solo one-shot ). . .
    She doesn't?

Well, she was suppose to get a book of her own in the late 1970s, but that was a victim of the line-wide "DC Implosion".

Then there was the five-issue limited series in 2008-2009:

And the one-shot Justice League of America: Vixen - Rebirth in 2017:

Finally, let me add my voice to people saying:
    Franchise = NO
    Solo-series = YES

I think you'd be hard-pressed to turn her into a franchise character on her own, especially when she's already so associated with the Green Arrow franchise, but a good solo book is pretty reasonable .

I would love to see Dinah get the long overdue recognition she deserves, but her solo books have never seemed to have had a good hook for readers.

I'd like to see Dinah's past explored more. (Who were her parents? Why was she raised in an orphanage? How did she end up as a government operative in S7 before going full blown superhero). Not sure we'll ever get that when she's only a supporting character in other books.

Maybe a good solid mini is what she needs, with some solid fleshing out of her character, to build toward getting her own ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I'd like to see Dinah's past explored more. (Who were her parents? Why was she raised in an orphanage? How did she end up as a government operative in S7 before going full blown superhero). Not sure we'll ever get that when she's only a supporting character in other books.
    Black Canary's current character background is probably one of the least developed aspects of Rebirth.

I'm curious if they'll re-establish Dinah Drake as the original Canary once the JSA come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    . . . I'm curious if they'll re-establish Dinah Drake as the original Canary once the JSA come back.
    If / when / on what Earth the "JSA" comes back.

(I still don't trust DC to not pull something twisted at the last minute . . . )

The only way I could see that happening would be to have her star in a solo book and then make her the co-star of a DC Comics Presents/Brave & the Bold kind of book where she appears every month with a different partner, from Wonder Woman to Bwana Beast.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Her solo books were never particularity successful. But why is something I don't really understand, she seems to be quite popular, and the team books she was in did also usually quite good (at least pre flashpoint).
    Lack of decent writers for her. If DC had given Simone a BC solo while she was at the top of her game, things might have been different. Instead they married Dinah off to Ollie so Winnick could do a GA/BC book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Lack of decent writers for her. If DC had given Simone a BC solo while she was at the top of her game, things might have been different. Instead they married Dinah off to Ollie so Winnick could do a GA/BC book.
    I feel like a Gail Simone Black Canary book would be everything fans have been asking for and 10x better then her Batgirl run .