Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say 'franchise', but she's probably DC's second-biggest female character (though Hawkgirl could possibly lay claim as well), and she's had a lot of media exposure in the past decade or so, with more to come. So yeah, I can certainly see her becoming a bigger deal, with a regular solo title, and possibly a solo film someday.
    Assuming Wonder Woman is the biggest, bigger than Catwoman, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, Lois Lane, Batgirl?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Her last solo as some kind of rock singer was an interesting choice, but that's not what I'd want to read.

Sadly that's the version they are going with for the movie.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-30-2019 at 06:07 PM.

I'd love a Black Canary solo by Tom Taylor and Otto Schmidt. I'd also be OK with a Black Canary/Green Arrow by the same team.
    Last edited by klynn; 01-30-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

She should have her own series, 100%.

I dug the DCYou series, I'd prolly follow up on that and move forward from there.

BANNED

Her last solo series was an interesting take on the character by making her a singer...If only they would have continued it to tie it in with the rest of the DCU better.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, none of what you say about the "family legacy" really applies (as far as I'm aware) to the current comic book version, so unless that changes soon, there's no point even going there at present.
    And don't forget, some people here may only be familiar with the post-Flashpoint version, so what you were saying wouldn't equate to the character they've been reading about.
    I was talking about the character in general not what is going on with her presently.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say 'franchise', but she's probably DC's second-biggest female character (though Hawkgirl could possibly lay claim as well), and she's had a lot of media exposure in the past decade or so, with more to come.
    Depends if you are speaking about her status in Universe, her popularity or her exposure in other media.
    In Universe she is one of the biggest heroines, but in terms of popularity and media exposure there are several other female characters a head of her (and that's the same with Hawkgirl).

I'd happily read a Black Canary mini in the right hands, but I think the character has developed to be more suited to being a co-star in a team or a major supporting character.

Looking at her, she is a bit similar to Plastic Man: they are blue-collar superheroes. They are dealing with things on the street, but unlike say Batman they don't get to leave the streets: they live on it. Working in a flowershop isn't glamorous, or give room for visibility or impact. Her superpower isn't that powerful, so her main assets are her skills and her experience.

Breaking through as a new superhero character I'd say pretty much requires that young people can identify with him or her, and in a way Black Canary feels like a parent's superhero: she speaks about being down on your luck or having money or family troubles. And for a streetlevel heroine, Catwoman already has more way visibility and edge.

That said, I do think Black Canary is one of those heroes who DC can and should utilise more and better. She is probably the closest thing to a female peer in personal terms that Wonder Woman has in the superhero community (I'm not talking power here but rather friendship). She has the experience and attitude to be the sergeant Rock of just about any superhero team. She can bring a contrast of being normal (whatever that means) to most superheroes or superhero situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I was talking about the character in general not what is going on with her presently.
    If you go that route, I still prefer when there was only a single Black Canary originally from the 1940s, not the mother-daughter legacy.
    But as I said before, that doesn't apply to who we currently have at present, and some people are not at all familiar with those versions.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm going with Solo book as well. She has a distinct enough look and vibe as a character to carry her own stories. Not only would I not want her to have her own franchise, I think DC has enough "family" teams already.

Incredible Member

I'd take it in a gritty direction. Sorrentino or Bermejo on art.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    I'd take it in a gritty direction. Sorrentino or Bermejo on art.
    Ooooo, I'd be intrigued by a gritty Black Canary with Sorrentino. Brubaker on writing maybe?
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you go that route, I still prefer when there was only a single Black Canary originally from the 1940s, not the mother-daughter legacy.
    But as I said before, that doesn't apply to who we currently have at present, and some people are not at all familiar with those versions.
    Honestly, what's even "present" these days? Continuity is in flux the second a new writer comes on board any title. (look at Martian Manhunter - between his mini-series and JLA, who knows what his past is? Look at the Hawkman series) Every aspect of her past - the attributes that the character has built up over her long existence - can come back at almost any moment, even if not in exactly the same was as it was before. If they wanted to show her as someone who follows a heroic legacy, they could easily rewrite parts of her past to fit what's "presently" canonical for her in this continuity so that she still has that characteristic.

Two thoughts on the character just now:

1) I now concur that Black Canary would require too much work to build her own solo franchise from scratch. However ... while a "Canaryverse" may be out of reach, could she and Ollie gradually switch roles?

Could the Arrowverse become the "CanArrowverse" where BC is the lead and GA is the co-lead (keeping the rogues and supporting cast and settings)?

2) and this is a weird one ... does Jurnee Smollett Bell get cast in BOP if the character was always known as White Canary (Sarah Lance)?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Two thoughts on the character just now:

1) I now concur that Black Canary would require too much work to build her own solo franchise from scratch. However ... while a "Canaryverse" may be out of reach, could she and Ollie gradually switch roles?

Could the Arrowverse become the "CanArrowverse" where BC is the lead and GA is the co-lead (keeping the rogues and supporting cast and settings)?
    If anything it would continue to be the Felicityverse.