Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Immortality, Telepathy, Telekinesis, Matter Transmutation, Illusions, Cosmic Energy etc
    She is indeed ridiculously 'OP' which puts her on-par with Avengers like Thor, the Sentry, Captain Universe, Star Brand, Hyperion, Blue Marvel, some versions of Moondragon and Monica Rambeau, etc.

All the Eternals are basically super-strong, super-tough, ageless/changeless/regenerative, telepathic, telekinetic, flying zappers with (generally) weak shapeshifting and illusion-casting and teleportation powers, but she's special in that she's probably the best of them all at the rare discipline of transmutation, which allows her to turn pretty much anything into anything else, and doesn't generally appear to be resistable, allowing her to 'one shot' anyone short of cosmic by turning them into a potted plant. She's also top tier at illusion-casting, to the degree that even her fellow Eternals can't always tell whether she's transmuted her surroundings or just made them appear different.

The irony is that she's apparently the least disciplined and most free-spirited of her people, and yet the only one in thousands of years to have the focus and dedication needed to master transmutation. Perhaps her current 'party girl' attitude is her cutting loose period after millenia of intense, almost monkish, study and isolation (and being an Eternal is going to last another century or so!)?

I loved her (non) appearance in the JLA/Avengers crossover. Page after page of DC characters like the Flash kind of leaving their Marvel counterparts like Quicksilver in the dust, and then in one panel where a bunch of other Avengers and Leaguers are summoned to aid them against an army of villains, we see a bunch of villains flying in all directions away from some heroes under seige and one of the DC heroes is all wide-eyed, 'What was that?' and the Marvel hero says, 'Sersi...' She didn't even make an appearance, just got name-dropped as a force of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    She is indeed ridiculously 'OP' which puts her on-par with Avengers like Thor, the Sentry, Captain Universe, Star Brand, Hyperion, Blue Marvel, some versions of Moondragon and Monica Rambeau, etc.

All the Eternals are basically super-strong, super-tough, ageless/changeless/regenerative, telepathic, telekinetic, flying zappers with (generally) weak shapeshifting and illusion-casting and teleportation powers, but she's special in that she's probably the best of them all at the rare discipline of transmutation, which allows her to turn pretty much anything into anything else, and doesn't generally appear to be resistable, allowing her to 'one shot' anyone short of cosmic by turning them into a potted plant. She's also top tier at illusion-casting, to the degree that even her fellow Eternals can't always tell whether she's transmuted her surroundings or just made them appear different.

The irony is that she's apparently the least disciplined and most free-spirited of her people, and yet the only one in thousands of years to have the focus and dedication needed to master transmutation. Perhaps her current 'party girl' attitude is her cutting loose period after millenia of intense, almost monkish, study and isolation (and being an Eternal is going to last another century or so!)?

I loved her (non) appearance in the JLA/Avengers crossover. Page after page of DC characters like the Flash kind of leaving their Marvel counterparts like Quicksilver in the dust, and then in one panel where a bunch of other Avengers and Leaguers are summoned to aid them against an army of villains, we see a bunch of villains flying in all directions away from some heroes under seige and one of the DC heroes is all wide-eyed, 'What was that?' and the Marvel hero says, 'Sersi...' She didn't even make an appearance, just got name-dropped as a force of nature.
    yeah, she is very cool.

art by Bosslogic

Last edited by juan678; 11-19-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    art by Bosslogic
    nice art but I wouldn't like Angelina as Sersi.

I want her to be really, really young.

showcase her immortality dammit!!!

I don't think Jolie is playing Sersi. I think she's gonna end up playing Thena. Getting a big name, well respected star to play a supporting or mentor role in these movies seems to be pretty standard (Tommy Lee Jones in Captain America, Forest Whitaker in Black Panther and Anthony Hopkins in the Thor movies).

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I don't think Jolie is playing Sersi. I think she's gonna end up playing Thena. Getting a big name, well respected star to play a supporting or mentor role in these movies seems to be pretty standard (Tommy Lee Jones in Captain America, Forest Whitaker in Black Panther and Anthony Hopkins in the Thor movies).
    Bingo.

You'd want Sersi to be the character who eventually crosses over in to Avengers. Like in the comics.

Or I would, anyway.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

she is very OP.
    I wouldn't consider Sersi OP, but if you're going to fight her, it should be a tough outing for anyone. Eternal disciplines in general, bolstered by cosmic energy as they are, make any one of them potentially OP. Thanos, Gilgamesh and a few others surpass Sersi in most of the Eternal disciplines. But Sersi is one of the oldest Eternals and her energy projection and molecular manipulation abilities are on par with a Prime Eternal. She's also just a step or two down from the top rung in terms of illusions and para-psionic abilities like telepathy and telekinesis.

I think the mistake that Kirby made was in making Sersi a fully Eternal, thus providing a scientific basis for all of Sersi's feats. If Sersi is also the Circe of myth, then what he probably should have done was established that her lineage, unlike most Eternals, actually does link directly to the Greco-Roman gods. Preferably, that connection would be matrilineally, as her mother, Perse, could have actually been Perseis. Perseis (a name derived from the word "destroy"), was the daughter of Titans, Oceanus and Tethys -- both powerful water deities. That would explain her easy mastery of molecular manipulation as there are few things more fluid than water. Plus, giving her a demi-god heritage resolves the perception of her being a true witch in ancient times. As we all know, Greek gods are merely the descendants of Elder Gods, whose immortal life force is as much magic as it is science.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

nice art but I wouldn't like Angelina as Sersi.

I want her to be really, really young.

showcase her immortality dammit!!!
    I totally understand. While there are lots of great actresses from my generation who would have been perfect for the role of Sersi -- Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Connelly, Monica Bellucci, Eva Green, Vera Farmiga, Kate Beckinsale, Elizabeth Hurley, etc., etc. -- I won't complain at all if they give the role to someone like Marie Avgeropoulos, Crystal Reed, Alanna LeVierge, Alexandra Daddario or another up and coming actress. Hopefully, the Eternals turns into a successful franchise with multiple sequels over the next 10-15 years. It would be nice to have characters that can grow with the part.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I wouldn't consider Sersi OP, but if you're going to fight her, it should be a tough outing for anyone. Eternal disciplines in general, bolstered by cosmic energy as they are, make any one of them potentially OP. Thanos, Gilgamesh and a few others surpass Sersi in most of the Eternal disciplines. But Sersi is one of the oldest Eternals and her energy projection and molecular manipulation abilities are on par with a Prime Eternal. She's also just a step or two down from the top rung in terms of illusions and para-psionic abilities like telepathy and telekinesis.

I think the mistake that Kirby made was in making Sersi a fully Eternal, thus providing a scientific basis for all of Sersi's feats. If Sersi is also the Circe of myth, then what he probably should have done was established that her lineage, unlike most Eternals, actually does link directly to the Greco-Roman gods. Preferably, that connection would be matrilineally, as her mother, Perse, could have actually been Perseis. Perseis (a name derived from the word "destroy"), was the daughter of Titans, Oceanus and Tethys -- both powerful water deities. That would explain her easy mastery of molecular manipulation as there are few things more fluid than water. Plus, giving her a demi-god heritage resolves the perception of her being a true witch in ancient times. As we all know, Greek gods are merely the descendants of Elder Gods, whose immortal life force is as much magic as it is science.
    I hope they don't take away her abilities like they did with Loki.

nerfing is one thing but taking way like 95% of their magics and skills is really disrespectful.
    I totally understand. While there are lots of great actresses from my generation who would have been perfect for the role of Sersi -- Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Connelly, Monica Bellucci, Eva Green, Vera Farmiga, Kate Beckinsale, Elizabeth Hurley, etc., etc. -- I won't complain at all if they give the role to someone like Marie Avgeropoulos, Crystal Reed, Alanna LeVierge, Alexandra Daddario or another up and coming actress. Hopefully, the Eternals turns into a successful franchise with multiple sequels over the next 10-15 years. It would be nice to have characters that can grow with the part.
    Eva Green would have been my favorite choice like I said previously.

we should get some casting news in a few months.
    Last edited by GodThor; 03-31-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I never really understood her powers. Does she fall into the spectrum category of being too powerful?
    Yes, but i like her that way.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

please no, Sersi is fine as she is, Kyirby made no mistake!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    please no, Sersi is fine as she is, Kyirby made no mistake!
    That's debatable. If you read Kirby's Eternals, you'll see lots of inconsistencies. And I don't mean little things like some of the Eternals calling her Sersy with a "Y," and not an "I." Besides, in terms of her feats, making her the daughter of an actual Greek god is neutral. Not many will draw a distinction between whether Sersi's feats were due to "god force" or cosmic energy.

~James Baldwin

That's debatable. If you read Kirby's Eternals, you'll see lots of inconsistencies. And I don't mean little things like some of the Eternals calling her Sersy with a "Y," and not an "I." Besides, in terms of her feats, making her the daughter of an actual Greek god is neutral. Not many will draw a distinction between whether Sersi's feats were due to "god force" or cosmic energy.
    I own kirby's eternals original volumes, I loved them ever since I was a child, to me it's just perfection
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

That would be an interesting case since most demi-gods tend to be half human. (Or half-mutant.)
    Eternals are considered demigods in some context and have divinity to them unlike other human offshoot. (Chaos War showcased that.) But mixing Greek Gods/Eternals are alwaysq tricky.
    Speaking of which, I remember Deviants involved with sorcerery/magic, (the creation of the Serpent Crown in Lemuria for example, though not exactly created at Deviant hand) In that regard, Sersi, as a full Eternal, could have been practicing magic/witchcraft in Ancient Greek. I mean, they may not be born of magic but they could totally do that like their uglier cousins.