Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Sersi (Eternal) figure

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    nice art but I wouldn't like Angelina as Sersi.

I want her to be really, really young.

showcase her immortality dammit!!!
    I'd rather not. I don't want another Jennifer Lawrence playing a mature woman situation. In Hollywood not even 40yr old actresses get to play 40yr old female parts.

BANNED

Avengers #374 May 1994
    "Intersecting Parallels" Guest-starring Thena and Sprite.
    In the nick of time, the Eternals arrive to pull the defeated Avengers out of the Hudson River!
    And after licking their wounds, Earth's Mightiest Heroes trudge back to their wrecked mansion to put together a plan to stop Proctor!
    In the meantime, Sersi remains unaccounted for and still virtually invincible!
    But surprisingly the enigmatic Proctor captures the enchanting Eternal

and sets into motion his plan to destroy the prime reality!

Script by Bob Harras. Pencils by Steve Epting. Inks by Tom Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Avengers #374 May 1994
    "Intersecting Parallels" Guest-starring Thena and Sprite.
    In the nick of time, the Eternals arrive to pull the defeated Avengers out of the Hudson River!
    And after licking their wounds, Earth's Mightiest Heroes trudge back to their wrecked mansion to put together a plan to stop Proctor!
    In the meantime, Sersi remains unaccounted for and still virtually invincible!
    But surprisingly the enigmatic Proctor captures the enchanting Eternal

and sets into motion his plan to destroy the prime reality!

Script by Bob Harras. Pencils by Steve Epting. Inks by Tom Palmer.
    That whole Harras/Epting era of the Avengers I think is underrated. The stuff they did with Black Knight and Sersi back in the day was a lot of fun.

It's a shame they never followed up on that afterwards. I think there was some stuff with the Ultraverse and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    I'd rather not. I don't want another Jennifer Lawrence playing a mature woman situation. In Hollywood not even 40yr old actresses get to play 40yr old female parts.
    Yeah, I mean, Jolie would be around the same age that Robert Downey Jr. was when he was cast as Iron Man. Frankly, 40 isn't actually old, and even if it were, if she's supposed to be a million years old, then looking 40 definitely still showcases immortality.

Now, as to whether I like the choice of Jolie specifically, I can't really say. I don't think I've seen her in a film for over a decade. I will say that I was hoping the role would go to a woman of color.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    So what exactly are her powers? I know little to nothing about the Eternals.
    ETERNALS all have an array of abilities (Strength, Speed, Energy Manipulation, Mental feats etc) but tend to focus their cosmic energy into a particular area. For example Thena to Mental feats, Makkari into Speed, and Sersi into Transmutation/Illusion...

A neat primer for Sersi and the Eternals.
    https://instituteofidletime.com/2018...ernals-part-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    ETERNALS all have an array of abilities (Strength, Speed, Energy Manipulation, Mental feats etc) but tend to focus their cosmic energy into a particular area. For example Thena to Mental feats, Makkari into Speed, and Sersi into Transmutation/Illusion...

A neat primer for Sersi and the Eternals.
    https://instituteofidletime.com/2018...ernals-part-1/

that's outdated a bit but yeah, the power segment is right.

I think her origin was changed.

she is one of the first Eternals so she is around 1,000,000 years old.

her old origin was back during the era of Gilgamesh.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Yeah, I mean, Jolie would be around the same age that Robert Downey Jr. was when he was cast as Iron Man. Frankly, 40 isn't actually old, and even if it were, if she's supposed to be a million years old, then looking 40 definitely still showcases immortality.

Now, as to whether I like the choice of Jolie specifically, I can't really say. I don't think I've seen her in a film for over a decade. I will say that I was hoping the role would go to a woman of color.
    Jolie is sort of a mixed bad. She looks the part well enough and an likely pull off the role, and she'll bring in some star power, which is nice. Plus, in the general sense I think the MCU has done a great job of casting, so if they feel she's a good fit I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

That said, the downside to hiring an older actor is that super hero movies potentially want a decade or more worth of movies out of you. Maybe more. A younger actor potentially is a better investment in the long run. Imagine if Hugh Jackman was in his 40's when he was first cast as Wolverine back in 2000.

I just hope they don't tone down Sersi's personality to make her a lead character.

I want that confident, haughty, and proud beauty of the Eternals .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That whole Harras/Epting era of the Avengers I think is underrated. The stuff they did with Black Knight and Sersi back in the day was a lot of fun.

It's a shame they never followed up on that afterwards. I think there was some stuff with the Ultraverse and that was it.
    I couldn't agree more. It was possibly my favorite era of the Avengers title (and I have almost all barring the first 28 issues). Everything about the Gatherers arc was outstanding, the art was of the chart awesome and the story itself kept me gripped like few stories had before or since

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That said, the downside to hiring an older actor is that super hero movies potentially want a decade or more worth of movies out of you. Maybe more. A younger actor potentially is a better investment in the long run. Imagine if Hugh Jackman was in his 40's when he was first cast as Wolverine back in 2000.
    I mean, like I said, Robert Downey Jr. was 43 when he starred in the first Iron Man. That worked out fine.

I mean, like I said, Robert Downey Jr. was 43 when he starred in the first Iron Man. That worked out fine.
    Sure it worked fine. But I'm pretty sure marvel would love to have Downey stick around for another decade if it was fessible to do so. Just as I'm sure Fox (and Disney for that matter) would be happy if Jackman stuck around as Wolverine.

That said, I'm not arguing an actor should be disqualified from consideration if they're pushing 40. The right actor is the right actor. But these characters can potentially stick around for a long long time, so it's something to think about.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

By the time the movie comes out I'll be fine with whomever is cast. But my personal favorites to portray Sersi are many, including Lily Collins and Alexandra Daddario. I believe both women are in their 30s (so they're not TOO young, but not so old that the franchise suffers as they age) and they have the acting chops to put on a credible performance, even if they lack the experience and gravitas of Jolie.

My other hope for the movie is that Sersi's part doesn't shy away from real dynamic, physical fight scenes. I don't want another CGI-fest with cosmic energy being hurled all over the place. Sersi in the comics loves to mix it up, despite the fact that she could probably end the battle more quickly using her molecule manipulation abilities.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I'd been thinking somebody like Constance Wu would have been an interesting choice for the role, but, ultimately I try not to think about fancasting too much. It usually just leads to disappointment. It is so rare that actors popularly fan cast as a character actually get the role. And really, when it does happen, it's usually underwhelming. (See: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'd been thinking somebody like Constance Wu would have been an interesting choice for the role, but, ultimately I try not to think about fancasting too much. It usually just leads to disappointment. It is so rare that actors popularly fan cast as a character actually get the role. And really, when it does happen, it's usually underwhelming. (See: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange)
    Maybe a generational thing, but I never thought Cumberbatch would have worked as Dr. Strange. Dr. Fate maybe, but not Strange.

And I agree that Constance Wu would be a good choice for Sersi. There are several actors that I like for the role. Mostly "there is no box" thinking that dares the audience to defy the notion that the role was made for her, much the way Gal Gadot did with Wonder Woman. But if Marvel has indeed settled on Angelina as Sersi, then we'll just have to wait and see how that turns out.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin