Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I totally forgot about the comicbook character Ms. Marvel!
    In addition, soon after She-Hulk, I believe Sabra appeared and it was a big deal. Besides a new female Jewish superheroine, she had (then) She-Hulk strength! Sabra was super-strength female #5. A few years after that we got Rogue with Ms Marvel's super-strength.(#6).

Boisterously Confused

Thundra's chain was such an interesting design choice. Both a unique weapon, and clever commentary feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    ...Does she manage to reintegrate society in the future when she's empress or is it still a Man hating matriarchy ?
    As I recall it, both her future and a misogynist counterpart future timeline were merged and averaged one another's extremes out. As for Thundra herself, the last I recall of her, she'd become Arkon's Queen on his barbaric homeworld.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Thundra's chain was such an interesting design choice. Both a unique weapon, and clever commentary feature.

As I recall it, both her future and a misogynist counterpart future timeline were merged and averaged one another's extremes out. As for Thundra herself, the last I recall of her, she'd become Arkon's Queen on his barbaric homeworld.
    Yes, I agree. The chain is unique. While one end can attach to her bracelet allowing it to be wrapped totally around her forearm, the other end sometimes has a hard armament that Thundra can use when throwing the chain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I love her! Most badass of the female powerhouses!
    Yeah, I like her much better than She-Hulk. She has a great costume, and an interesting personality. I'm not sure why they gave her a daughter (with the Hulk as a father), but I guess it gives her a stronger connection to the rest of the Marvel universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I love Thundra, the Femizon! Her and Valkyrie were Marvel's first 2 super-strong female characters and 2 of my favorites!

An interesting note from the pics above: a few were redone to show characters that were not there in the original drawings! The one of "Thundra" punching "Ms Marvel" through the wall should be Ms Marvel punching a female Doctor Spectrum. The other one with Thundra smashing Sub-Mariner should be the Thing.
    I realized that the Namor image was added, but didn't realize that the Ms. Marvel image was edited. I know in the Avengers Annual that the scene is from -- did show Thundra punching Ms. M. through a wall, but it may have show differently. The picture of her picturing Namor, I believe , featured Hyperion -- from Marvel Two-In-One. She did however punch Namor in a Fantastic Four story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Thundra was Wonder Woman on steroids. I'm pretty sure the chain was her version of WW's golden lasso -- even though it has no special properties.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Thundra was Wonder Woman on steroids. I'm pretty sure the chain was her version of WW's golden lasso -- even though it has no special properties.
    I hadn't ever thought of that, but it makes a ton of sense!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Exactly! Femizon/Amazon, the most notable and strongest member of the society sent out into "man's world", strong sense of identity, strong, fast, tiaras, bracelets (one for Thundra).

I always took it that Thundra's chain was made of an exceptionally strong (blue) 23rd century metal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Exactly! Femizon/Amazon, the most notable and strongest member of the society sent out into "man's world", strong sense of identity, strong, fast, tiaras, bracelets (one for Thundra).

I always took it that Thundra's chain was made of an exceptionally strong (blue) 23rd century metal.
    Yep. And just as Wonder Woman and Superman had the same color scheme, Thundra and Hyperion did as well -- including strawberry blonde hair. I really enjoyed their short arc in Marvel Two-In-One before they both got exiled.

BANNED

Marvel Two in One #55 Sep 1979
    "The Pegasus Project Part 3: Giants in the Earth!" Guest-starring Giant Man (Bill Foster) and Quasar. Thundra cameo.
    The Thing, Bill Foster, Quasar and Jennine O'Connell are enjoying a poker game when suddenly the alarm goes off.
    They all pair off to find out which prisoner has escaped, with Bill Foster tagging along with the Thing.
    Entering an elevator, they find it stopped unknown to them by the radioactive mutant known as Nuklo.
    When Ben's injured arm prevents him from stopping them from being crushed,
    Bill exposes his identity as Black Goliath to Ben in order to save their lives.
    His added strength causes Nuklo to give up on the "game" he is playing and find fun elsewhere.
    As Ben and Bill continue their search for the escaped prisoner, Ben suggests to Bill to take on
    the identity of Giant-Man since the name isn't being used presently by any other hero.
    As they continued their search, Quasar checks on the nuclear reactors and finds that they are going out of whack
    and realizes that only Nuklo could possibly be the cause, and goes out to try and find the creature.

While back in New York, Thundra is preparing for her first big match against the Grappler known as Titania.

Unknown to Thundra, Titania's employers have passed her a needle with a potent drug in it,
    which Titania uses in the ring on Thundra in order to weaken her enough to be defeated at her hands.

Meanwhile, back at Project Pegasus, Giant-Man and the Thing have tracked down Nuklo who has been found by his keeper,
    Henri Sorel who has managed to talk Nuklo down. Unaware of this, and having his hands wrapped in metal to protect them from Nuklo's
    radioactive body, Giant-Man lashes out and beats the child-like creature into submission, knocking it into an anti-gravity device
    that renders it helpless. With the threat of Nuklo passed, Sorel berates the two heroes on beating the boy senseless.

While in the room where Wundarr has been in a coma since his exposure to the Cosmic Cube,
    the man-boy from another world dreams about his past -- being the last survivor of his home world,
    his encounters with the Man-Thing and others and his eventual turn over to Project Pegasus.
    When he awakens, a voice in his head tells him that the power of the Cosmic Cube is his to harness
    and that when he wakes again he will be able to channel its power.

Story by Mark Gruenwald and Ralph Macchio. Art by John Byrne and Joe Sinnot.

That fight was like the Bionic Woman fighting with a regular human female.

I read somewhere that the colours of her costume were based on Hyperion's costume. Just like superman and wonder woman shares the same colour scheme.

Fantastic Member

My first time reading anything involving Thundra was in Fantastic Four #183, which also introduced me to Tigra, and at the time, I was disappointed they both exited at the beginning of the next issue.

RCO003_1468987345.jpg

I hated that they left as well. Thunfra there in that story had the same look and feel as when she debuted years before and there were LOTS of good stories that could have been told with her in them.

Astonishing Member

Same. It felt like the writer was asked to remove them from the series, but I enjoyed seeing them and the Impossible Man.