Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

I don't know much about Tigra, but Crystal is a pill this era. Was Tigra ever really a man hunter?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What was the name of the book her original solo adventures were featured in?
    Marvel Chillers.

It was a fun enough book, but as typical for the mid-70's, the art changed about every couple of issues.

Astonishing Member

I'm suprised that this wasn't already made merntioned; but Tigra was recently seen (last week) within MARVEL COMICS #1001 & within (This week's) HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #4.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    I don't know much about Tigra, but Crystal is a pill this era. Was Tigra ever really a man hunter?
    There was a time where she was depicted as such, mostly during the early WCA years. She wasn't completely in control of her feral, cat-like side and thus acted a bit out of those instincts. She got better controling that side after a while. I think this was what Crystal was referring to when she emphasized "by nature". It was just in her nature to do so at that point. The good thing about that was that she was very honest about it.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Marvel Chillers.

It was a fun enough book, but as typical for the mid-70's, the art changed about every couple of issues.
    Thank you. Also, I recall an image online of Tigra talking to the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman. I think they had a crossover. Anyone know what run that was?

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

I believe she met Jessica Drew near the end of her first Spider-Woman run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    There was a time where she was depicted as such, mostly during the early WCA years. She wasn't completely in control of her feral, cat-like side and thus acted a bit out of those instincts. She got better controling that side after a while. I think this was what Crystal was referring to when she emphasized "by nature". It was just in her nature to do so at that point. The good thing about that was that she was very honest about it.
    Thank you!

It would never happen, but a Tigra ongoing could be a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Doombot; 10-18-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So I heard that Tigra started out as a fairly competent superhero but became less so when she transferred to the Avengers. Anyone more familiar with the character who can shed light on this please?
    She was twice as strong as Luke Cage, at that point (she could lift 5 tons, he could only lift 2 tons, Bendis apparently boosted him a lot though, in the last decade or so), and had cat-like reflexes that seemed on par with Spider-Man's, making her, like Spider-Man, one of those rare super-fighters who combines superhuman agility and speed, with super-strength as well. That's a pretty dynamic and visually fun combination, as well as making her pretty much unbeatable to a normal crook, since she's vastly stronger than them (able to pick up and throw a car!), and also fast enough to be nearly untouchable in a fight.

And while 5 tons may be small potatoes in the super-hero community, it's still like six times what Captain America can lift.

But later her super-strength seemed to be forgotten, and she'd get wrestled to the ground or thrown off by normal strength humans, inexplicably.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    She was twice as strong as Luke Cage, at that point (she could lift 5 tons, he could only lift 2 tons, Bendis apparently boosted him a lot though, in the last decade or so), and had cat-like reflexes that seemed on par with Spider-Man's, making her, like Spider-Man, one of those rare super-fighters who combines superhuman agility and speed, with super-strength as well. That's a pretty dynamic and visually fun combination, as well as making her pretty much unbeatable to a normal crook, since she's vastly stronger than them (able to pick up and throw a car!), and also fast enough to be nearly untouchable in a fight.

And while 5 tons may be small potatoes in the super-hero community, it's still like six times what Captain America can lift.

But later her super-strength seemed to be forgotten, and she'd get wrestled to the ground or thrown off by normal strength humans, inexplicably.
    Has 616 actually settled on whether or not Captain America actually does have super powers?

Well, it's always sad to hear about something like that happening to a character.

Fantastic Member

If you check the op, the last image is from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition No. 34 1993, which has her listed as Class 10 strength, meaning she should be able to throw cars and light machinery around with relative ease, but I don't recall any strength showing in anything I've seen her featured in the last few decades, it's usually just her agility which is the focus.

Yup she started turning cat like in the mid wca run. Not just acting like one but her face started turning more cat like also. She started eating real mice as well. Us agent finds out and gets upset telling her to stop acting like a real cat. (and in jerk us agent style ends up pulling her by hair leading to her attacking him like a cat leading to him slapping her to snap her out of it! US agent could have handled that better but it's us agent) He later tells hank about it and they have to shrink her to keep her from attacking people then end up keeping her in a hamster cage! (you can't make this stuff up!)

She is cured later but for awile is still savage at times like in avengers issue 303 where she wants to bite nova primes neck and gets scolded for it by mockingbird!

Late 80s wca was strange.

Us agant acting like us agent again.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ultimate Member

A perfect image of how people writing the character forgot her strength. Even though USAgent is super-strong, IIRC, between Tigra's 5 tons and Spider-Man's 10 tons in strength, he's not even a little bit invulnerable, and she should have ripped him limb from limb, if actually trying to in that panel. Instead, he's unscathed and effortlessly manhandles her.

Thank you for stating Luke as 2 tons back then. I say 3 tons, but many people disagree and say 10 tons. I think Luke's 10 ton period was about 1985-1988. Around 2000, a second dosing gave him Cl 25 ton strength. Now I hear he is around Cl 50 tons!?

Tigra started out at 5 tons, but by the time her cat-soul was fully integrated (with full stripes and tail), Greer was strong enough to lift 10 tons.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Tigra started out at 5 tons, but by the time her cat-soul was fully integrated (with full stripes and tail), Greer was strong enough to lift 10 tons.
    I did not know that, and that makes it even more silly that she could be so easily handled by USAgent, who, if I recall correctly, is only *just* as strong as she is (thanks to the Power Broker steroids he took).

Astonishing Member

A perfect image of how people writing the character forgot her strength. Even though USAgent is super-strong, IIRC, between Tigra's 5 tons and Spider-Man's 10 tons in strength, he's not even a little bit invulnerable, and she should have ripped him limb from limb, if actually trying to in that panel. Instead, he's unscathed and effortlessly manhandles her.
    The thing to keep in mind is that she isn't actually fighting in that scene. She is just wildly flailing about--her human mind is not functioning at all in that scene. If Tigra were actually thinking and using her strength properly, yes, she should be able to break free of him. But she was just freaking out, hissing and flailing her limbs around. His costume should have some rips and tears in it from the way her claws were flying about, but apart from that she really wasn't doing anything to damage him directly.