Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That is pretty foul.
    Why do you not like good things?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Why do you not like good things?
    When did green chainmail bikini bottoms for boys become a good thing? I like good things, but the very first Robin costume is not good from the waist down.

When did green chainmail bikini bottoms for boys become a good thing? I like good things, but the very first Robin costume is not good from the waist down.
    It's neither chainmail, nor bikini. Typically (though I won't say always), it's a leotard, and briefs, not bikini. Trunks, actually, though people don't like to use the term anymore, and prefer to use those that sound more derisive and insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to give examples of New 52 retcons that are still canon? Because the general assumption these days seems to be that almost everything Pre-Flashpoint is back in play again, with the notable exceptions of a few things (many of which are about to return, like the JSA).
    I think New 52 Aquaman might still be canon, with Arthur never having/losing a child with Mera. Also the two of them have never married I don't think. Arthur is still the cause/reason for the death of Black Manta's father as well. Orm and Tula are also still siblings.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Extraordinary Member

What's good about it is that it's the classic costume. It means that the DC Universe actually has a sense of history and legacy and didn't just start in 2011 with a 1990s EXTREEEEEEEEEME aesthetic. That's what's good about it.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-09-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Lois Lane #3 established that 52 (the good one) is back in continuity, because well, 1) Renee is the Question and 2) when she's reunited with Vic Sage, she points out that he "died," which he did in 52.
    I get why Rucka did it even if I don't think we need two Questions.

What's good about it is that it's the classic costume. It means that the DC Universe actually has a sense of history and legacy and didn't just start in 2011 with a 1990s EXTREEEEEEEEEME aesthetic. That's what's good about it.
    There was always Tim's suit/B:TAS costume. I don't know why the Rocafort costume has lasted as long as it has.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Clark and bruce both know billy is captain marvel. So, maybe their past adventures/meeting have been reinserted.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

But Red Hood & The Outlaws didn't really reboot or retcon anything from Pre-Flashpoint, did it?

What I'm talking about is that the vast majority of things that were retconned or rebooted during the New 52 have largely returned to their Pre-Flashpoint histories with their New 52 history rolled into them when they can, or explained away in the cases of Superman and Wonder Woman.
    It kind of did in the sense that it more or less erased everything Jason Todd related that came out after "Under the Hood". To my knowledge there's been nothing to suggest that any of it has made it's way back into his current in-universe history.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I think New 52 Aquaman might still be canon, with Arthur never having/losing a child with Mera. Also the two of them have never married I don't think. Arthur is still the cause/reason for the death of Black Manta's father as well. Orm and Tula are also still siblings.
    Good example.

Green Arrow tried to graft elements of his Pre-Flashpoint history onto his largely unsuccessful New 52 incarnation. How did that end up? There's so much dodgy stuff in Ollie's Pre-Flashpoint continuity, I suspect a lot of that will remain forgotten.

Is there anyone else whose New 52 retcons/reboot has carried over to current continuity?

Good example.

Green Arrow tried to graft elements of his Pre-Flashpoint history onto his largely unsuccessful New 52 incarnation. How did that end up? There's so much dodgy stuff in Ollie's Pre-Flashpoint continuity, I suspect a lot of that will remain forgotten.

Is there anyone else whose New 52 retcons/reboot has carried over to current continuity?
    Cassandra Cain's whole Orphan/Mother stuff is still canon as far as I'm aware even if they retconned back in that she's Shiva's daughter.

DOOMSDAY CLOCK #12 !!!

I think we can close this thread now.

I actually put my ipad down when I got to the part of JSA back in continuity and I did a slow clap.
    Last edited by upgrayedd; 12-19-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    I have no beef with Vegans

DDC has been contradicted by other books (at least two characters have been killed off in books that would now be before DDC) so it may not even be canon now. We need other books to confirm that it happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cassandra Cain's whole Orphan/Mother stuff is still canon as far as I'm aware even if they retconned back in that she's Shiva's daughter.
    The fact Shiva's her mother again means that she's no longer an Orphan. Cass needs a new codename, ASAP. I don't understand what was wrong with Black Bat, the name she adopted after Steph became Batgirl. Or heck, what's stopping there being two Batgirls anyway? There's three Flashes, so Babs being Batgirl shouldn't stop Cass also using the name. It wouldn't be any different to Tim and Damian both being Robin.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-20-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    DDC has been contradicted by other books (at least two characters have been killed off in books that would now be before DDC) so it may not even be canon now. We need other books to confirm that it happened.The fact Shiva's her mother again means that she's no longer an Orphan. Cass needs a new codename, ASAP. I don't understand what was wrong with Black Bat, the name she adopted after Steph became Batgirl. Or heck, what's stopping there being two Batgirls anyway? There's three Flashes, so Babs being Batgirl shouldn't stop Cass also using the name. It wouldn't be any different to Tim and Damian both being Robin.
    Black Bat is the property of another company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bat

Fantastic Member

Given that the original Black Bat title was published from the mid 30s thru 53, and there appears to have been a "no contest agreement" in place in the 30s vis-a-vis similarities with Batman himself I'm pretty sure the name/concept of Black Bat (particularly if spelt as Blackbat) is likely to be Public Domain by now.

Actually, the Public Domain Superheroes Wiki offers a slightly different take:

The Nedor comics were renewed by Popular Library, which was eventually bought out by Fawcett Books. When Fawcett went out of business, Popular Library was sold to Warner Bros. A number of different publishers, however, are currently/have been using these characters without any lawsuits from Warner Bros., so any action over them is (probably) unlikely. They are still, however, "use at your own risk" characters.

Which suggests that if Black Bat isn't Public Domain, then DC essentially owns it anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    DDC has been contradicted by other books (at least two characters have been killed off in books that would now be before DDC) so it may not even be canon now. We need other books to confirm that it happened.
    Which two characters? I'm just asking.

Though, I guess if DC launches a new JSA title set in the main continuity and its not about wondering where these old heroes came from, then that would be confirmation enough that it happened.

The fact Shiva's her mother again means that she's no longer an Orphan. Cass needs a new codename, ASAP. I don't understand what was wrong with Black Bat, the name she adopted after Steph became Batgirl. Or heck, what's stopping there being two Batgirls anyway? There's three Flashes, so Babs being Batgirl shouldn't stop Cass also using the name. It wouldn't be any different to Tim and Damian both being Robin.
    I guess you could say she's a metaphoric orphan in that she's disowned Shiva as her mother? I don't know. Just spitballing.