Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are the public aware of Jasons death ?

So I was thinking recently, in universe kid sidekicks dont work in Marvel due to Bucky dieing during WW2, it was something of a cultural moment wherein the 'Greatest American Hero' lost his partner whom was supposed to be his equal in training etc and everyone realised he's not a superhero but a kid.

This never happened in DC because kid sidekicks usually make it out ok....until Jason. Now that raises the question if anyone outside of the hero community was aware that Jason died and that he wasn't the 'original' robin. Or does the general public assume all Robins are the same person ?

Astonishing Member

So are you talking about 'Jason Todd' or about 'Robin'?

Jason Todd's death is public knowledge and there was even an official funeral for him. In fact, legally, he's still dead.

As far as Robin goes, if memory serves, I think the public believed that Jason and Tim were the same Robin, since they were pretty much the same age.

Incredible Member

Like Bat39 said the public is aware of Jason's death in Ethopia at the Joker's hands and Bruce was even investigated by a journalist in Gotham Knights who believed he may have been directly involved in Jason's death

It does make you wonder how the public recognizes the Robins and the subsequent progression the identity.

Like, people would probably have noticed that Robin de-aged at a certain point and I think in-universe it's recognized that Nightwing was the original Robin even by those who aren't "in-the-know."

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the transition from Jason to Tim except maybe Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It does make you wonder how the public recognizes the Robins and the subsequent progression the identity.

Like, people would probably have noticed that Robin de-aged at a certain point and I think in-universe it's recognized that Nightwing was the original Robin even by those who aren't "in-the-know."

I'm not sure if anyone noticed the transition from Jason to Tim except maybe Gordon.
    Bullock and Gordon had to. Specially Gordon, who probably knows who is behind each mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Bullock and Gordon had to. Specially Gordon, who probably knows who is behind each mask.
    I think Gordon insinuated he knew Robin was dead before Tim showed up, or at least he commented on his "absence," but I'm not sure.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I figure most people who’ve seen them up close are able to figure out when there’s a new Robin but I doubt the general public does.

BANNED

During Tims time as Robin they pushed the whole Batman as an urban myth thing. If we acknowledge that not many people knew about the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    During Tims time as Robin they pushed the whole Batman as an urban myth thing. If we acknowledge that not many people knew about the change.
    Outside of those like Gordon, Tim (prior to being Robin), and Leslie.

BANNED

I think people who weren't reading comic books at all thought that Dick Grayson was getting killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Outside of those like Gordon, Tim (prior to being Robin), and Leslie.
    Right, Leslie knew Jason, and she knew he was dead.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think at least the originally the transition from Dick to Jason was known, pre crisis Vicky Vale wrote iirc an article about it.

When it comes the transition from Jason to Tim, I think that besides Gordon and a few other police officers, most villains and maybe also Vicky Vale were aware of that change.

In the new 52 it is hard to say, since Dick, Jason and Tim were all quite close in age. And in Rebirth we simply don't know how old Dick and Jason are, and a what age they became Robin.

BANNED

Are we talking about the actual public--or people living in the DC Universe?

In universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    In universe.
    Hey, the people in the DC Universe are so dumb Superman can fool them all with just a little curl on his forehead.