Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Age of X-Man Alpha #1 *spoilers*

From the preview thread:

Whew...OK. I don't know if that was 10/10, but it had more emotional impact than all of Disassembled, and that's not meant to be damning with faint praise.

The best elements that Thompson and Nadler bring into play aren't the omnipresent, unseen threats of elements like Department X/The X-Tremists, it's the quieter world-building touches - the language that implies there are no families, only vat-grown infants, nurses, and creches before a mandatory stretch of service to the state that begins in childhood, or the knowledge that Jean and Bishop aren't even being permitted to remember the crimes they're being punished for. It all combines to make the utopia represented by Rosanas' clean, warm art a very stark and uncaring place. In a recent interview, the writers compared what they were doing to David Lynch's tendency to present the familiar and comforting, then slowly flay away the facade to reveal the rot underneath. They're doing a good job so far, imo - I feel like one of the more interesting points as this book goes on will be discovering where everyone's breaking point is. Who actually knows about and abets Dept. X, and who's been memory-wiped so often that they're all but innocent? Who'd go along with it even if they did know?

"At what price paradise?" isn't a new concept for sci-fi, and the X-Men have already riffed on it a few times before. But it's typically resulted in very good stories (the first X-Men/Alpha Flight crossover and New Mutants Summer Special come to mind), and I'm very eager to see where this stable of creators take the concept. It's creepy with a lot of potential for character exploration, and hopefully they'll be able to push some boundaries given that this is an AU spin. And yeah, I may be adding Marvelous X-Men to my buy pile for this event.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-30-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Age of x-man alpha is a good start. It really makes me want to know more about this AU

I can't help myself that Laura is giving Lesbian vibes all the time. She even says that she loves Meggan

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Age of x-man alpha is a good start. It really makes me want to know more about this AU

I can't help myself that Laura is giving Lesbian vibes all the time. She even says that she loves Meggan
    I thought Laura was intended to be a lesbian by one of her creators. I don't have a source so don't quote me on that

Vincente!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I thought Laura was intended to be a lesbian by one of her creators. I don't have a source so don't quote me on that
    Yeah, I think Chris Kyle said that on Tumblr. But until it's on page... *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Yeah. It was a intention and only that, because Marvel didn't allow; I really wonder what is going on on AOXM, the haircut, her ways are very screaming GAAAAAAAYYY to me

Astonishing Member

I think it was great

Glad that people liked it. Thompson and Nadler seems to be a good guys and a real fans.

I really liked this. Only issue I had was I wish it was longer. The art was beautiful and the prospect of some Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind shenanigans happening just makes it even better.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Vincente!!!!!!!
    would that be the actor with Kurt? was his name mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    I really liked this. Only issue I had was I wish it was longer. The art was beautiful and the prospect of some Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind shenanigans happening just makes it even better.
    A little more action would have been nice, agreed. But unlike Disassembled, where there was a lot of action but none of it really amounted to anything, this really feels like more of an appetite whetter, like there's a real mystery to go delve into after this issue. Really strong lead-in to the rest of the event, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    would that be the actor with Kurt? was his name mentioned?
    He was a purple skinned dude who turned into gas so it better be him!

Edit: maybe it wasnt gas still could be him but less sure now.

62F632AD-1859-45DD-8455-E2F09FB1C79F.jpg
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Really nice. It set up all books perfectly.

Extraordinary Member

So, this was pretty much a X-Men Age of X-Man NOW! Point One kind of thing -- done right. At first I thought this was going to be a waste and that most of what was being presented could have been done in a dossier style backup (like the 90s) but as things started weaving together it felt like a worthy introduction with seemless jumping off points.

That said, I still don't know where it goes from here. While the writers seemed to display an understanding of the X-Men that makes me want to keep reading, none of the individual series really interests me (creatively, that is, Rosanas on Marvelous might have swayed me.)

Love Bishop hit it and run lol.
    I think he will be the one to remember it all. But Glob is right there.

What I dislike is that all the memories right now are fake. Barry darling look what you have done. I will not keep up with this comics but I might look at the one where Bishop would be on.