Page 154 of 207 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 3103

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Yes. Any individual person is just as entitled to have their own opinion as the next. Despite the bad press, internationally the film grossed 136 million at the box office. Not spectacular, but it also means they will get the money they spent on their investment returned. No XMan movie has ever lost money and this will be no different. You can throw misogyny in the mix as well.
    X-men is in theatres with Godzilla ,Aladdin,Secret Life of Pets. And this week Men in Black(which does well overseas) ,Shaft and Dead don't die hit theaters. Which pretty much put the nail coffin. And week After is Toy Story 4 which is crushing anything in it path.So X-men DP has 1 week to do amazing numbers which we already know is not happening

To add injury to insult, DP had massive reshoots so it went way over initial budget so the films Budget is estimated at 200 million dollars(because of reshoots) and it had fairly large marketing campaign which I would guess at about 100 million at least. A film has to make triple it budget to consider itself a success so the DP needs to make about 600 million + 100 million for ad budget. You think that X-men DP is going to sniff 700 million? I am fairly certain it is not going to make money for the studio. This is basically the next four weeks MIB 4, Toy Story,Toy Story, Spiderman Far from Home.

BANNED

I'm yet to watch it.But I love this guys.Their justice league reaction was the beast.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I thought this article pretty accurately explains why this film did as poorly as it did:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...opped-working/
    Logan was a movie that literally scoffed at comics though.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I thought this article pretty accurately explains why this film did as poorly as it did:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...opped-working/
    The Gifted is a generic low cost tv serie. If it's a highlight in the X-men franchise, things are really bad.

In my opnion, what killed the X-men movies was Days of Future Past.
    Not because it's a bad movie, but because they should never have brought Bryan Singer back.
    Matthew Vaughan did a great job with First Class rebooting the franchise.
    Vaughan choosed a great cast, with a lot of raising stars that gave a fresh air to the movie.
    He made us care about a d-list team of X-men. Because even Banshee or Angel were real characters, with personality and story arc. Not easter eggs like Jubilee or Dazzler.
    Showed the characters using colorful costumes (waaay better looking than the ones seeing in Dark Phoenix). It was amazing see Magneto wearing the comics costume in the end.
    The movie closes with all the pieces in the right place.
    Erik, Raven, Emma establishing a Brotherhood.
    A paraplegic Charles Xavier running a secret school for mutants.
    A Second Class 10 years later with Scott, Jean, Ororo, Kurt , Piort and Logan (after the new movie and new actor Vaughan said was planned) joining the team would be perfect.
    Unfortunately, Singer discarded almost everything done by Matthew because he couldn't leave his old vision.
    Last edited by Mutant X; 06-11-2019 at 07:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    X-men is in theatres with Godzilla ,Aladdin,Secret Life of Pets. And this week Men in Black(which does well overseas) ,Shaft and Dead don't die hit theaters. Which pretty much put the nail coffin. And week After is Toy Story 4 which is crushing anything in it path.So X-men DP has 1 week to do amazing numbers which we already know is not happening

To add injury to insult, DP had massive reshoots so it went way over initial budget so the films Budget is estimated at 200 million dollars(because of reshoots) and it had fairly large marketing campaign which I would guess at about 100 million at least. A film has to make triple it budget to consider itself a success so the DP needs to make about 600 million + 100 million for ad budget. You think that X-men DP is going to sniff 700 million? I am fairly certain it is not going to make money for the studio. This is basically the next four weeks MIB 4, Toy Story,Toy Story, Spiderman Far from Home.
    You're right that it has no chance to sniff any of the numbers you state. But, in fairness, reshoots are often planned and budgeted in. So their existence wasn't going to be a factor in the way you framed it.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    In my opnion, what killed the X-men movies was Days of Future Past.
    Not because it's a bad movie, but because they should never have brought Bryan Singer back.
    Matthew Vaughan did a great job with First Class rebooting the franchise.
    Vaughan choosed a great cast, with a lot of raising stars that gave a fresh air to the movie.
    He made us care about a d-list team of X-men. Because even Banshee or Angel were real characters, with personality and story arc. Not easter eggs like Jubilee or Dazzler.
    Showed the characters using colorful costumes (waaay better looking than the ones seeing in Dark Phoenix). It was amazing see Magneto wearing the comics costume in the end.
    The movie closes with all the pieces in the right place.
    Erik, Raven, Emma establishing a Brotherhood.
    A paraplegic Charles Xavier running a secret school for mutants.
    A Second Class 10 years later with Scott, Jean, Ororo, Kurt , Piort and Logan (after the new movie and new actor Vaughan said was planned) joining the team would be perfect.
    Unfortunately, Singer discarded almost everything done by Matthew because he couldn't leave his old vision.
    Having recently rewatched First Class, I can say that Fassbender, McAvoy and Bacon are about the only things good about it. Hoult is fine, but he's not my favorite.

I think the movie is insanely superficial, the characters (outside of the ones previously mentioned) are completely bland (I was quite happy when it was revealed that they were all dead in DoFP) and the plot was them basically slapping the X-Men into a golden-age James Bond film. Don't get me wrong: I love golden-age James Bond, but that isn't X-Men. Also, they kill the black guy (because OF COURSE), and all the X-Men at the end of the movie are white guys: Beast counts because he's white pre-transformation.

As for costuming, I was fine with the FC flight suits, but I thought the Magneto suit at the end was cringe-worthy. The Dark Phoenix suits weren't the best, but they didn't use them after the encounter with Jean at spoilers:
    her dad's house.
    end of spoilers, so they didn't end up bothering me much.

End of the day, I'm glad they scrapped Vaughn's work since I loved DoFP (one of the best in the genre) and Apocalypse (warts and all) and enjoyed Dark Phoenix. I can understand people saying they should have ended things after DoFP, but not having DoFP? That's just crazy talk, in my eyes.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

As I said, DOFP is not a bad movie. It's just an unnecessary one.
    It was a chance for the franchise to move forward, but they wasted it with Singer massaging HIS own ego, using HIS own dated formula and HIS old cast. Paving the way for the horrible Apocalypse and the franchise killer Dark Phoenix.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    As I said, DOFP is not a bad movie. It's just an unnecessary one.
    It was a chance for the franchise to move forward, but they wasted it with Singer massaging HIS own ego, using HIS own dated formula and HIS old cast. Paving the way for the horrible Apocalypse and the franchise killer Dark Phoenix.
    To be fair, Vaughn was gonna do DoFP (using Singer's original cast and, presumably, his own), but he wanted it to round out the trilogy. Fox moved it up to second, and Vaughn left. That's his account, anyway.

Long story short, we were gonna get DoFP either way, and I'm glad we got the version we got. That, of course, could just be me.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Part of the poor reception is this is the last of the franchise due to the Disney takeover. People are sad about that as well, and it affects their perception of things. Deadpool is one of the few confirmed actors to be kept around for MCU, though there are rumors than New Mutants, now that it’s being reshot again are being reshot to take place in MCU.
    That would be kind of interesting. A soft roll out to the X-Men in the MCU. Spin New Mutants so they are being persecuted or something and the X-Men come save the day.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

As much of a mess as New Mutants has been I really doubt the rumors of Disney taking them in are true. Disney wants a clean slate with no taint of the Fox movies (except Deadpool)

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    He better never be allowed near X-Men ever again.
    Just came back from seeing Dark Phoenix. I went with a few friends. One bought sunglasses and tissues with in case it was really bad. But, I liked it! I really did! I might even go see it again.

Now, before ya'all go crazy, yes, it was not perfect. There were certainly things I did not like, such as changing Jean's history and her going to Xavier's School. I would much rather a lot of other things too, that were not included in the movie like Lilandra, Shi'Ar and Hellfire Club. But yeah, as I sat there, I enjoyed it. Even though it was in a very small theatre room, very hot and we were the only ones there at first. Then about 20 people came in. The room was very quiet, and for once, I did not hear anyone else talking, making comments or any cell phones ringing. People had their mouths open watching it (is that good or bad??).

We all thought the movie that made this look like a huge success in comparison is the new Joker movie.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gothicflavours View Post
    For those who have seen the movie... Jean's "firey veins" form is the final Phoenix form or does she get to evolve into a full-fire form like we've seen in promo material?
    They are cracks, not veins.

No. They never show Jean as a full fire-being like those early promos suggested. There is one or two brief firebird images from afar at the end, but nothing like Here Comes Tomorrow or Ultimate X-Men Phoenix.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Just came back from seeing Dark Phoenix. I went with a few friends. One bought sunglasses and tissues with in case it was really bad. But, I liked it! I really did! I might even go see it again.

Now, before ya'all go crazy, yes, it was not perfect. There were certainly things I did not like, such as changing Jean's history and her going to Xavier's School. I would much rather a lot of other things too, that were not included in the movie like Lilandra, Shi'Ar and Hellfire Club. But yeah, as I sat there, I enjoyed it. Even though it was in a very small theatre room, very hot and we were the only ones there at first. Then about 20 people came in. The room was very quiet, and for once, I did not hear anyone else talking, making comments or any cell phones ringing. People had their mouths open watching it (is that good or bad??).

We all thought the movie that made this look like a huge success in comparison is the new Joker movie.
    I thought it was the worst X-Men film it's not even Schlocky like Origins to enjoy it's just bland. Also while a better Phoenix story than The Last Stand but both were bad Phoenix Stories and The Last Stand IMO is a better over all movie.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I thought it was the worst X-Men film it's not even Schlocky like Origins to enjoy it's just bland. Also while a better Phoenix story than The Last Stand but both were bad Phoenix Stories and The Last Stand IMO is a better over all movie.
    I thought last stand was more entertaining and the stakes seemed higher especially when Jean killed Xavier. this movie I has zero emotion watching it.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!