Page 6 of 207 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I love the Dark Phoenix saga as much as the next guy. And I didn't mind most of the Fox Movies. But this movie felt forced and rushed. I hate JLaw's Mystique and I think this should have been a two parter.
    This upcoming criticism isn't directed at you, so please don't take it that way.

I just have a problem with people thinking that damn-near every plot point has to be spread out over multiple movies now that Marvel Studios has embraced cinematic decompression.

It is still possible to create compelling characters, relationships and the like and give them a compelling arc in one film. In fact, that's how most movies operate, and the idea that any given character or story beat is "rushed" because it's only being explored in one film is really bothersome to me.

In terms of this plot point specifically, Apocalypse gave me enough to go on: there was the premonition that something was happening with Jean earlier in the film and the display of destructive potential when she destroyed Apocalypse at the end of the film. Yeah, her and Scott could've been brought together a bit more, but I'm hoping that Dark Phoenix shows us how much their relationship means.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Where is this from?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Where is this from?
    twitter

https://twitter.com/comic_face2/stat...39154363904001

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

I mentioned this in the old thread...

But its frustrating when some fans complain about certain scenes from X3 (Jean going back to her childhood home, Jean fighting Xavier, and Jean holding back Scott's power) being repeated in Dark Phoenix considering all three of these events are from the source material. They are all important moments in the original story.

And there will be differences from how they were executed in X3 considering Jean doesn't atomize Xavier or Scott this time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Spidey gets no love from China?

Oh, apparently these posters are by Disney.

BANNED

Oh, apparently these posters are by Disney.
    Gonna need a source on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Gonna need a source on that.
    I’m speculating. Disney also released Chinese New Year posters at the same exact time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ComicBook...99237172203520

Dark Phoenix’s poster came out a hour before those.

https://mobile.twitter.com/saiprasad...74436336541696
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 02-05-2019 at 02:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    This upcoming criticism isn't directed at you, so please don't take it that way.

I just have a problem with people thinking that damn-near every plot point has to be spread out over multiple movies now that Marvel Studios has embraced cinematic decompression.

It is still possible to create compelling characters, relationships and the like and give them a compelling arc in one film. In fact, that's how most movies operate, and the idea that any given character or story beat is "rushed" because it's only being explored in one film is really bothersome to me.

In terms of this plot point specifically, Apocalypse gave me enough to go on: there was the premonition that something was happening with Jean earlier in the film and the display of destructive potential when she destroyed Apocalypse at the end of the film. Yeah, her and Scott could've been brought together a bit more, but I'm hoping that Dark Phoenix shows us how much their relationship means.
    For me it's not that something has to be spread out, but it needs to be in focus. The Jean/Scott relationship is pretty damn important to the story and I feel that has never been highlighted enough. Not in X1, 2, 3 or Apocalypse. Yes, many movies tell a complete love story, but the love story is usually the focus of hte movie. I don't feel Apocalypse set nearly enough groundwork on the relationships necessary to make the Phoenix story work, much like the failures that lead to X3's abomination of an attempt.

Remember that teaser of Days of Future Past at the end of Amazing Spider-Man 2?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I mentioned this in the old thread...

But its frustrating when some fans complain about certain scenes from X3 (Jean going back to her childhood home, Jean fighting Xavier, and Jean holding back Scott's power) being repeated in Dark Phoenix considering all three of these events are from the source material. They are all important moments in the original story.

And there will be differences from how they were executed in X3 considering Jean doesn't atomize Xavier or Scott this time. lol
    There is a problem with that. Technically two.

1. Bad advertisement. While it is true that those things did happen in the source material, audience at large doesn't know that. It still reminds people of X3, especially the way the trailer presents these things. It almost feels like they want us to remember X3. The trailer doesn't present these things as much different than the way they happened in X3, unless you look hard enough and point out that this is why it's different. Even then, the differences feel miniscule.

2. Some things just don't have the same impact on repetition. This is more specific to Jean holding Scott's powers back than anything else. But the reason why that scene has such an impact on the audience is because that was the very first time(if I'm not mistaken) anyone was able to hold Cyke's powers back like that. It's never going to have the same effect because we've already seen that scene in X3 and also that we saw Scott without glasses normally in the last movie.

Remember that teaser of Days of Future Past at the end of Amazing Spider-Man 2?
    Yes, and? Are you saying they'll put DP trailer at the end of CM?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    There is a problem with that. Technically two.

1. Bad advertisement. While it is true that those things did happen in the source material, audience at large doesn't know that. It still reminds people of X3, especially the way the trailer presents these things. It almost feels like they want us to remember X3. The trailer doesn't present these things as much different than the way they happened in X3, unless you look hard enough and point out that this is why it's different. Even then, the differences feel miniscule.

2. Some things just don't have the same impact on repetition. This is more specific to Jean holding Scott's powers back than anything else. But the reason why that scene has such an impact on the audience is because that was the very first time(if I'm not mistaken) anyone was able to hold Cyke's powers back like that. It's never going to have the same effect because we've already seen that scene in X3 and also that we saw Scott without glasses normally in the last movie.
    General audiences liked X3 though. It seems that most people who complain about that stuff are people who pretend to have read Dark Phoenix and act like they know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Yes, and? Are you saying they'll put DP trailer at the end of CM?
    Naw, just saying that it is possible that Disney probably produced that poster.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 02-05-2019 at 01:22 AM.