Page 193 of 207 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 3103
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Disney had nothing to do with Alita moving dates, it was done before the merger
    You're right. Sorry about that: got myself mixed up after posting about that Disney article. Editing.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    That certainly didn't help, but, as some have said in prior pages, this really shouldn't have been released in June. February really was an ideal place for it, but Disney had to keep James Cameron happy because they've got that Avatar teet to milk dry (why anyone thinks that movie is worth a sequel/franchise is beyond me).

EDIT: Fox moved it, not Disney, but it was still at James Cameron's request.
    I think Disney knew the movie would get buried in the June release and it was too late to move it.

At least it seems that they are spending a pretty penny on the home release.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I think Disney knew the movie would get buried in the June release and it was too late to move it.
    And to think most of those June releases underperformed, making DP look even worse. Godzilla, Secret Pets 2, MIB made like franchise killers. June was really an ugly month saved by Toy Story. Not a competitive month at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    And to think most of those June releases underperformed, making DP look even worse. Godzilla, Secret Pets 2, MIB made like franchise killers. June was really an ugly month saved by Toy Story. Not a competitive month at all.
    I noticed that too. And I genuinely believe that if Dark Phoenix had premiered in February, which is what Kinberg wanted, then it would've done much better at the box office. It would've had more longevity, as well. Even though Captain Marvel was bound to dominate March, it could've carved a nice niche for itself. Kinberg himself said that Dark Phoenix wasn't billed as a summer movie. That's why he wanted it in November and later February. I think he knew that after Endgame came out, it would suck suck up most of the market and undercut any movie that came after it. Other franchises felt it and it's a shame because it's not like Alita did much with that February release.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

That month was so weird. It's like everyone spent all their moviegoing money on Endgame and took the next couple months off. DP still massively underperformed, but it certainly wasn't alone in that regard.

At least it seems that they are spending a pretty penny on the home release.
    Based on the article posted a page or two back, I don't think Disney cared one way or the other.

I'll definitely be watching all the bonus stuff on the home release, which I don't do often: I'd love for an animatic (at least) of the original ending, just to see how different it is. Ideally, I'd like an extended/director's cut, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

It seems like everything about the movie was set up to fail sadly.

There was the presence of Aladdin, which made a billion dollars.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Dark Phoenix and Godzilla doing so poorly really broke my heart. Of course them being bad movies (especially Godzilla) really broke my heart. lol Dark Phoenix was better, but it felt like it had a first act and a second act and needed a third act, imho. I actually liked Aladdin more than Dark Phoenix or Godzilla King of the Monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    It seems like everything about the movie was set up to fail sadly.
    The marketing of the movie certainly set it up to fail. Having the selling be Jean becoming a evil again hurt it in a couple ways. It resulted in two types of complaints:

1) People that complain about Jean not becoming Dark Phoenix. Here is a quote from an actual reviews.

And so, the Dark Phoenix is born — well, not really. She never does anything too bad: Mystique’s death is clearly an accident, and she never really joins up with the baddies ideologically either, which at least The Last Stand made efforts at selling.
    2) People that complain that Jean does become Dark Phoenix and that her arc is the same as X3. From another review.

Sophie Turner's Jean Grey goes through the exact same motions as Famke Janssen in the 2006 movie — she grapples with her newfound and unchecked power, kills people she loves, realizes that she's a monster and arrives at a bittersweet character resolution.
    The second complaint is obviously nothing but confirmation bias talking. People who just mind up their minds before even seeing it and that causes their minds to play tricks on them.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-15-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Dark Phoenix and Godzilla doing so poorly really broke my heart. Of course them being bad movies (especially Godzilla) really broke my heart. lol Dark Phoenix was better, but it felt like it had a first act and a second act and needed a third act, imho. I actually liked Aladdin more than Dark Phoenix or Godzilla King of the Monsters.
    Curious about what you mean about this. To a lot of people there was barely a second act.

Astonishing Member

There was the presence of Aladdin, which made a billion dollars.
    Aladdin was in its' third week of release for DP. The movie failed because it was bad and lack of interest, not due to competition which was sorely lacking.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I noticed that too. And I genuinely believe that if Dark Phoenix had premiered in February, which is what Kinberg wanted, then it would've done much better at the box office. It would've had more longevity, as well. Even though Captain Marvel was bound to dominate March, it could've carved a nice niche for itself. Kinberg himself said that Dark Phoenix wasn't billed as a summer movie. That's why he wanted it in November and later February. I think he knew that after Endgame came out, it would suck suck up most of the market and undercut any movie that came after it. Other franchises felt it and it's a shame because it's not like Alita did much with that February release.
    Realistically how much more do you think DP could have made in February? 20M? 30M? 40M? 50M+? The movie was poorly made and lack of interest by the GA. But there are quite a few franchise killer movies to go along with DP in case someone thinks I have it in for this movie.

Aladdin was in its' third week of release for DP. The movie failed because it was bad and lack of interest, not due to competition which was sorely lacking.
    Aladdin was still making tons of money at that time. Not to mention all the other movies were cutting into XDP’s Box Office. Godzilla, SLOP2, and MIB made over a billion dollars when you combine their Box Office totals. The competition was heavy.

Considering what the filmmakers were going for, I wouldn’t call it a bad movie on its own merits. But the marketing was extremely misleading and tried to sell a totally different movie, which is known to hurt word of mouth. Go to 3:16 to see what I mean.

Realistically how much more do you think DP could have made in February? 20M? 30M? 40M? 50M+? The movie was poorly made and lack of interest by the GA. But there are quite a few franchise killer movies to go along with DP in case someone thinks I have it in for this movie.
    If it was released in February the marketing wouldn’t have been hurt by the Disney merger and they wouldn’t have cut nearly half a hour of footage from the movie to get more showtimes.

I understand someone not liking it but how was it poorly made? It’s production value wasn’t bad.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-15-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Alladin got good word of mouth, I really didn't thought it would reach 1 billion.

I don't think it would make a difference