Page 194 of 207 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 3103
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I think that it would have made Alita numbers(over 400 million). The merger did hurt its awareness rate.

"Definite awareness never got a score over 75 on tracking," says one insider. "An X-Men movie had never been below 90."

"When definite awareness of Rocketman is higher than an X-Men movie, you know you're in strange territory," says another insider.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 08-15-2019 at 07:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Alladin got good word of mouth, I really didn't thought it would reach 1 billion.

I don't think it would make a difference
    I agree. You could've put it out in any month and it doesn't change that people didn't care. The simplest explanation is that people were done with FoX-Men. I'm guessing Disney saw that in their own research and planning and just called it what it was: sunk cost.

Movies that people want to see don't fail because of competition. Movies fail because people don't care about paying to go see them in a theater. I would bet DP does alright on some DVD sales and rentals because people will do it on their own time. You need passion to put butts in the theater seats. And the flame died out long before Phoenix stunk as a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I agree. You could've put it out in any month and it doesn't change that people didn't care. The simplest explanation is that people were done with FoX-Men. I'm guessing Disney saw that in their own research and planning and just called it what it was: sunk cost.

Movies that people want to see don't fail because of competition. Movies fail because people don't care about paying to go see them in a theater. I would bet DP does alright on some DVD sales and rentals because people will do it on their own time. You need passion to put butts in the theater seats. And the flame died out long before Phoenix stunk as a movie.
    Box Office analysts would beg to differ. Dawn of The Planet of The Apes made over 700 million dollars but its sequel which came out a week after Spider-Man: Homecoming made under 500 million dollars.

All-New Member

hey everyone!

I just leave this article about "Dark Phoenix" here in this thread. Maybe some will enjoy it (or get mad because of it). Both emotions are fine. ;-)

"Unbecoming Woman: 'Dark Phoenix' and the Dethronement of the Wealthy White Male Hero"

https://www.popmatters.com/dark-phoe...639789255.html

Cheers
    Last edited by Phoenix33; 08-16-2019 at 03:14 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix33 View Post
    hey everyone!

I just leave this article about "Dark Phoenix" here in this thread. Maybe some will enjoy it (or get mad because of it). Both emotions are fine. ;-)

"Unbecoming Woman: 'Dark Phoenix' and the Dethronement of the Wealthy White Male Hero"

https://www.popmatters.com/dark-phoe...639789255.html

Cheers
    An interesting take! I don't agree with all the points, but there are definitely some thought-provoking bits in there, mainly about how Jean "unbecomes [a] woman" and how that can be interpreted through the film.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    An interesting take! I don't agree with all the points, but there are definitely some thought-provoking bits in there, mainly about how Jean "unbecomes [a] woman" and how that can be interpreted through the film.
    thanks for your response! Lovely to hear.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I thought Dark Phoenix was a poignant send-off for the series.

And I'll never understand the criticisms that it wasn't well directed. I thought the film flowed really well. The character moments were very well done, like Hank's confrontation with Xavier in the kitchen where he first met Raven, or Jean's conversation with Magneto. The only thing that didn't sit well with me was Kurt going full psycho in the final fight.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I thought Dark Phoenix was a poignant send-off for the series.

And I'll never understand the criticisms that it wasn't well directed. I thought the film flowed really well. The character moments were very well done, like Hank's confrontation with Xavier in the kitchen where he first met Raven, or Jean's conversation with Magneto. The only thing that didn't sit well with me was Kurt going full psycho in the final fight.
    I agree. I also enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would and I do not really understand the harsh critical response. I think the movie was well crafted and pretty nicely thought out. I think certain scenes felt weirdly rushed and shortened for release. Some studio interference most likely.

I really wanted to hear the entire conversation between Magneto and Jean. I think this would have given Jean a better motivation than the one we got. "I know evil and I'm looking at it now" and other sentences from the trailers where cut but necessary to understand Magneto's and Jean's motivations.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix33 View Post
    I agree. I also enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would and I do not really understand the harsh critical response. I think the movie was well crafted and pretty nicely thought out. I think certain scenes felt weirdly rushed and shortened for release. Some studio interference most likely.

I really wanted to hear the entire conversation between Magneto and Jean. I think this would have given Jean a better motivation than the one we got. "I know evil and I'm looking at it now" and other sentences from the trailers where cut but necessary to understand Magneto's and Jean's motivations.
    Is the Blu-Ray going to have the extended scenes?

All-New Member

Doesn't look like it.

It will have deleted scenes. That much has been confirmed.

As for an extended cut, there's no news on that front. Maybe if the blu-ray sells well, it'll prompt Disney to put together an extended cut. The Rogue Cut of DOFP didn't come out initially. It came out several months after. So we'll have to wait and see.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

The movie has ended it's run in theaters. The only solace I take is Hellboy only had five weeks as opposed to DP's 10 weeks.

I didn't go see it in theaters because of all the harsh criticism by critics, fans, and the general public. After it left theaters I did hear that it wasn't as bad as people made it seem but it was too late. I'm trying to wait for a good link on my firestick and I'll watch it there. I heard what they did with Storm who's my fave X-Men and i'm disgusted.

So a while back the filmmakers and the cast say that the movie was a metaphor for mental illness. Here is what mental health doctors have to say.

Andrea Letamendi, associate director of mental health training, intervention and response for the Office of Residential Life at UCLA, sees the car crash, the cosmic event and Professor X’s manipulation of her mind as trauma. “Broadly defined, a trauma is any experience that causes intense fear, helplessness, loss of control, or threat of annihilation—a circumstance in which someone’s personhood is threatened,” says Dr. Letamendi, who often examines psychological themes found in comic books, science fiction, and other pop culture narratives.

Professor X inadvertently sets Grey up for PTSD by building walls in her mind. When it comes to a traumatic experience, “if we don’t face what happened, and we avoid it, over time it’s the avoidance that leads to PTSD,” Dr. Koenen says. “Rather than processing the trauma at that time–or getting help processing the trauma–Professor X actually did the opposite by setting up walls/repressing/blocking the trauma from her memory,” she explains. “As a result, she was never able to integrate that experience into her life and then, when it comes up later, it explodes.” She compares it to when children experience trauma and their families–usually with good intentions–decide the best way to cope is to pretend it didn’t happen.

After she becomes the Dark Phoenix, she starts to exhibit common symptoms that many woman struggle with every day. “She has the raw/unfiltered emotions so common in PTSD,” says Dr. Koenen. She starts having flashbacks to the car accident and the cosmic event; she also starts feeling out of control of her body. “I’m scared. And when I lose control, bad things happen to the people I love,” she says at one point. Dr. Letamendi says the “significant changes in her mood-state and her sense of herself and the world” could be signs of PTSD. Dr. Koenen identifies her outbursts and rage as symptoms of PTSD. Dr. Letamendi also points to symptoms like “hyper arousal and reactivity, inability to sleep, feeling almost hyper vigilant, on edge, just really kind of physically self aware.” Both doctors agree that the shame and self-blame she experiences also align with PTSD.

A big one that is specific to women is feeling isolated. “You feel like you don’t belong here. You don’t. They can’t begin to comprehend what you are,” Vuk, the villain who is after the Dark Phoenix powers, says to her. “I think what we are seeing with her in terms of genders is that sense of avoidance of closeness. We do see that more with women who have PTSD,” Dr. Letamendi points out. This is illustrated when Grey flees to deal with these powers alone, leaving her loved ones behind even though they want to help her.

Of course, Grey isn’t the first superhero to suffer trauma. But it’s rare we see a superhero struggle with their identity so much as a result. Especially a woman. “I think the trope is that male superheroes experience post-traumatic growth,” Dr. Letamendi points out. “Batman is a good example where he experiences childhood trauma and he transformed the negative experience into a pro-social mission. We see that a lot with most male superheroes; they have some turning point or origin story that includes trauma and typically leads to post-traumatic growth.”
    https://parade.com/890941/maggie_par...-that-matters/