Page 120 of 207 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 3103
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    I’m glad that the blistering rays of reality and finally breaking through the heavy, dark clouds of continuous delusion. Good riddance. Goodbye. Sayanara and seeya never. Make like a Phoenix-Usher and Let it Burn. All of my genuine sadness over these movies and bitterness at how they’ve been treated over the years has now turned from disgust to simple ambivalence.
    Quoted for truth. The X-men are my first and greatest fictional love. This studio has failed time and time again, let them go out like they lived - with a pathetic whimper.

On to bigger, better, and truer things. The MCU can be criticized plenty, but they also get the heart of their characters. I can't wait to see the true heart of the X-men on screen in the future. As you so brilliantly said....let it burn.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

I'm okay for the most part watching a silly movie with bad reviews. What kills is me is remembering that X-men basically invented superhero movies with gravitas, that it had the absolute BEST cast money could possibly find and all of that kind of just faded away...

If i could change one thing, maybe just have one more movie with before First Class, with Stewart and Mckellen and Famke and Marsden and Romjin and Jackman and Cumming, who had great chemistry, and KELSEY GRAMMER OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Honestly? I’m glad. As my favorite comic book team since childhood, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that there was at least some part of me that really, truly hoped that after all this time my amazing family of merry mutants would finally get some respect, something awe-inspiring out of this franchise finale. But alas, it is exactly as I feared/knew it would be. And all I can say is good.

The film is a disaster, as we’ve all been warned it would be for the past year or so. The amazing actors who could have done so much with even a semblance of a well written story? Wasted and asininely utilized. And the X-men mythos, the reason we’re all here, the universe of a diverse and incredibly layered family of characters and heroes that have some of the best and most renowned storylines in the comic medium? Disrespected, distorted, and publicly shamed once again. Good. I’m glad that the blistering rays of reality and finally breaking through the heavy, dark clouds of continuous delusion. Good riddance. Goodbye. Sayanara and seeya never. Make like a Phoenix-Usher and Let it Burn. All of my genuine sadness over these movies and bitterness at how they’ve been treated over the years has now turned from disgust to simple ambivalence.

Please go ahead. By all means call me negative, a hater, “bandwagon basher”, “MCU Fanboy(not even true), etc, etc. That’s fine, you’re bothered by what I’m saying and I’m okay with that. But what you won’t do is claim that I wanted this franchise to fail. That is such a vapid and ridiculous statement to someone who has loved the X-Men for decades. I didn’t want my favorite heroes in fiction, my ride or die fictional family to be embarrassed like this. I wanted them to be delivered the same respect and care that other, and by God lesser team books have been given over the years in the on-screen adaptations. They just weren’t. They were mishandled, misguided, temporally flopped around puzzle pieces that never fit together and showed the most scant and deplorable attention to who these characters actually are. To themselves, to each other, and to these stories. Completely ignored and in other cases blatantly disregarded. That’s fine now. At least this 20 year circus of a charade is finally over and we’re lucky enough as a fanbase to have more opportunities going forward to get a hopefully new take on things. Not everyone gets that, and I am grateful.

I know some will lambaste me for this post. To be quite honest, I truly don’t care. It’s the end of an era for me that was a rollercoaster of exceptionally high hopes followed by dimmed, and in some cases shattered realizations. I’m tired. I’m happy it’s done. I’m looking forward to having hope again in the future, knowing that an entirely different and far more respected entity will get their chance to make my heroes shine, for once. For those of you that heavily disagree with me that’s absolutely fine, we’re all entitled to our feelings on the matter. I fully respect your opinions and I always will. But to tell me that I should “see for myself” and “not go by what 95% of critics say so I can make my own opinion”? Give a single cent of my money to a company that has continuously beaten me down every time I tried to have hope that maybe, just maybe they won’t screw it up again? I remember all to vividly the embarrassment I had when I dragged a group my non-comic reading friends to see the X-men Apocalypse midnight showing, truly convinced that it would be the start of something great and new and fresh for the franchise. The disappointment I had when I realized that it was worse then I could have even have imagined. The shame when I had to pretend to laugh and agree with them that it was the shite-bomb of a movie that it was and that we wasted our time and money, all the while feeling like I was just gut punched in my fandom feels the whole time. Nah, I’m good. Not this time. Y’all enjoy “seeing it for yourself” for the umteenth time. I really do hope you enjoy it. But please understand as well, when people say they won’t because they don’t want to pay to see 2 hours of “X-Men inspired” dissatisfaction unfold again before their eyes. Don’t demean their decision as simply “wanting it to fail” and “not giving it a chance”. This rodeo is just one we’ve ridden in for far too long. It’s time to get of the bull and call it a day.
    *Clap* *Clap* *Clap*

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    I'm okay for the most part watching a silly movie with bad reviews. What kills is me is remembering that X-men basically invented superhero movies with gravitas, that it had the absolute BEST cast money could possibly find and all of that kind of just faded away...

If i could change one thing, maybe just have one more movie with before First Class, with Stewart and Mckellen and Famke and Marsden and Romjin and Jackman and Cumming, who had great chemistry, and KELSEY GRAMMER OMG
    Invented Superhero movies with gravitas I think you meant Superman 1978 and Batman 1989.

Also most of the cast were virtual unknowns to most of the General Public when released. McKellan was a name in Britain but very few knew him in the U.S., Jackman was a complete unknown outside Australia and only cast because Dougray Scott dropped out at the last minute due to filming conflicts with Mission Impossible 2, Marsden was unknown, AP was that kid who won the Oscar, Famke was the chick who killed dudes with her thighs from Golden Eye, RS was known for being Uncle Jesse's wife, geek circles were intrigued by Ray Parks because he just played Maul, then there was Tyler Mane again not really a big name, really only Stewart and Berry were pretty well known from the original cast.

The real achievement was them building the franchise in the beginning with no major stars headlining.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Invented Superhero movies with gravitas I think you meant Superman 1978 and Batman 1989.
    Gravitas may not be the right word, but Singer's X-men movies were the first ones to take the genre seriously...to elevate these films beyond just being 'comic book movies' or 'action movies'. These films, along with Raimi's Spider-Man pretty much kickstarted the era of superhero blockbusters that we've seen going for the last two decades.

Without X-men, I doubt we'd have gotten the Nolanverse or the MCU, or arrived at a moment where superheroes are dominating the pop-cultural zeitgeist.

We've unfortunately reached a point where the MCU has dominated discourse on what a superhero movie should be like with everyone, from casual audiences to professional critics viewing every superhero movie through the prism of the MCU. And I say this as someone who's a fan of the MCU and literally cried thrice during Endgame.

Don't do this story Disney. In fact keep about all these characters sans Xavier in the first reboot movie. Just do something different than Fox.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

No, actually, I meant what what I said.

And so, if you had unlimited budget who would you have gotten that wouldve given a better performance than Mckellen and Romjin (with virtually zero lines)? I think they were as good as they couldve gotten.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post

I would say X-Men re-invented super hero movies after Batman & Robin instead of inventing them outright, but that's neither here nor there.

Even after X3, people still wanted an X4, but it got shelved for X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Even if they had made X4, Cumming wasn't coming back. He hated the makeup process, which is why he didn't come back for X3.

Regarding this movie, it would've been nice if they had put a movie between Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix (I'd have done the Mutant Massacre, myself), but that simply wasn't possible, especially considering the Disney buyout.

The alternative, then, would be to have the movie not made at all, which, while a lot of people would rather that be the case, wasn't possible either because Fox wanted to keep things going, and Dark Phoenix was put into production before the Disney deal was announced.

I'm still excited to see the movie on Saturday. Whether I like it or not remains to be seen, but it'll be bittersweet to see this era of the franchise (indeed, the genre overall) end. I'm looking forward to a new vision (fingers crossed for the MCU version, whenever they get around to making it), but these movies have given me a lot to love over the years.

I was in high school with the first film came out, and I can't help but slip back into that mindset a little bit when I see one of these. Nostalgia doesn't make a film good, but it can help make the experience of watching one better. Regardless of whether or not the MCU version is good or not, it'll never make me feel the way that these movies do, and I'm going to miss it.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    omg the worst movie of all the xmen movies ouch!

So what are we thinking with the box office. Debut NA weekend and global total run?

Under 50m? Under 500m?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

10char
    10char.
    Sorry
    Last edited by Agni; 06-05-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    "Aim for the sun. That way if you miss, at least your arrow will fall far away, and the person it kills will likely be someone you don't know."
    -Hoid

Astonishing Member

I think Dark Phoenix will damage the X-Men brand quite a bit and the MCU will probably have to wait at least 5 years to do their version. Too bad as I like quite a few of the actors/actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Without X-men, I doubt we'd have gotten the Nolanverse...
    You're absolutely right there. It's been documented that when Nolan and his team saw the concentration camp in X-Men, they said something to the effect of, "Okay. We can finally make a movie like this."

Heck, the movie even inspired Grant Morrison's run in the comics, both in its visual style and conceptually (in regards to the school being an actual school instead of a mansion where super heroes hang out).

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think Dark Phoenix will damage the X-Men brand quite a bit and the MCU will probably have to wait at least 5 years to do their version. Too bad as I like quite a few of the actors/actresses.
    I mean, that's why some of us were saying Disney should just scrap it. I think Disney knows this, though, and Feige has already said it will be like 5 years before we see them in the MCU. There may have been too much of an investment to just scrap it entirely(or other specific contractual obligations to fulfill), but we'll see if this(releasing it anyways) was the right move in time.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I haven't watched the movie yet. Someone knows if Magneto and Quicksilver finally acknowledge their connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    ...the MCU will probably have to wait at least 5 years to do their version...
    I'm betting ten, but not necessarily because of this movie. I just think Feige's gonna drag his heels.