Page 55 of 207 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

I figure I will watch it multiple times opening weekend. There are a lot of things working against the movie but I would hate to see a Jean Grey centric movie perform poorly. Though, it is expected to do so for all the reasons already mentioned.

Proof is in the pudding. If Kinberg and Fox manage to do a good movie with one of comic book's most beloved stories, people will come, at least eventually. But if they messed it up[again], they deserve failure.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Can't do as bad as Hellboy lol
    Which is sad, 'cause I really enjoyed the two Guillermo del Toro did, especially the 2nd one. But gotta admit, this latest attempt, didn't look nearly as good... at all.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 04-14-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Let’s be honest, between all the delays, news of things going on behind the scenes, the fact that we’re rehashing Dark Phoenix Saga again as if that’s all there is to the Phoenix and that with the Disney/Fox merger basically rendering anything from this movie irrelevant, is it really much of a stretch that people have just stopped caring?
    Your first two points have nothing to do with the estimates. What goes on behind the scenes is irrelevant what matters is the final product. Just look at World War Z for example. Most people don’t even know about the first delay.

The Last Stand wasn’t based on Dark Phoenix but the Gifted storyline and Jean Grey was a background character in that movie. The Nostalgia Critic recently made a review on and on commented on how Jean did nothing in the movie.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-14-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-14-2019 at 04:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Lowest? First Class was 55 million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...firstclass.htm
    While that eluded CBR, it's mentioned here: Early Box Office Projections For ‘Dark Phoenix’ Suggests A $47M Domestic Opening – Could Be The Lowest Opening For An ‘X-Men’ Film - HN Entertainment

... While it’s still very early...

... There is an expectation that these numbers will increase but they have placed the possible opening at $47 million. If that number turns out correct, that would give Dark Phoenix the lowest domestic opening of the entire X-Men franchise. If they land the high-end of $55 million of the projection it’ll put the final film among the original X-Men from 2000 at $54.5 million and Matthew Vaughn’s soft-reboot X-Men: First Class which opened to $55 million.

For some perspective, X-Men: Days of Future Past opened to $90.8 million in 2014 and X-Men: Apocalypse opened to $65.7 million in 2016. I’m sure the studio is hoping that Dark Phoenix inches more in the $60-70 million range come June, which could end up happening as the marketing attempts to get audiences more excited for the summer comic book flick. ...

... In DARK PHOENIX, the X-MEN face their most formidable and powerful foe: one of their own, Jean Grey. During a rescue mission in space, Jean is nearly killed when she is hit by a mysterious cosmic force. Once she returns home, this force not only makes her infinitely more powerful, but far more unstable. Wrestling with this entity inside her, Jean unleashes her powers in ways she can neither comprehend nor contain. With Jean spiraling out of control, and hurting the ones she loves most, she begins to unravel the very fabric that holds the X-Men together. Now, with this family falling apart, they must find a way to unite — not only to save Jean’s soul, but to save our very planet from aliens who wish to weaponize this force and rule the galaxy.

Last edited by Heroine Addict; 04-14-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Dark Phoenix Tracking For Record Low X-Men Franchise Opening
    Lowest? First Class was 55 million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...firstclass.htm
    New Mutants is still due out....so even if it does have the lowest opening numbers it won't be for long lol

And i honestly give 2 fvcks if. It's a huuuuge blockbuster wet dream... If its a good movie ill be happy lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    New Mutants is still due out....so even if it does have the lowest opening numbers it won't be for long lol

And i honestly give 2 fvcks if. It's a huuuuge blockbuster wet dream... If its a good movie ill be happy lol
    Exactly. What's important is that it's a good movie.

Though funnily, the same internet trolls that tried to bury Captain Marvel can only reap as that movie blew it out of the water! The audience will judge whether they like the movie and recommend it to their friends and family. That's what ultimately makes a movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    As I've said before, if the movie is good, those numbers will change. Good word-of-mouth is the best advertising any movie can get. It's part of what helped Aquaman last as long as it did. It's what helped the first Deadpool movie beat expectations.

Dark Phoenix still has a lot working against it because there's a sizable contingent of people online who are determined to hate this movie. They jump at anything that could be construed as negative and ignore anything that might be positive. Conversely, they make every excuse to justify being excited about other movies and no amount of bad press changes that. People will hear about Dark Phoenix undergoing reshoots and assume the worst, but ignore the fact that both Infinity War and Endgame were subject to reshoots as well. It's all about looking for excuses and people will find plenty with Dark Phoenix simply because it's not in the MCU and it's not Deadpool. It's sad, but that's the current landscape we're in with respect to superhero movies.

The best thing Dark Phoenix can do at this point is earn good reviews and good word-of-mouth. If it cannot do that, then the movie will fail, plain and simple.
    Keep in mind a lot of old school comic book fans are extremely sexist and misogynistic. They attempted to bury Captain Marvel, which BLEW it out of the WATER.

I think from the clips I've seen of the movie it's very good, and Sophe's acting was very good. In those few clips from the trailer we saw more development of Jean Grey than we did in all of X-1-X-3.

I think Dark Phoenix will do amazingly fine.

Because this time they got a popular young actress already tied to another franchise, and that always helps bring in viewers. Famke was poorly cast as Jean. Sophie was a much better pick.

Captain Marvel benefited from being an unknown/novel(to mainstream audiences) entity amid a highly beloved, juggernaut of a franchise. I thought the movie was nothing to write home about(not horrible, not very good), so can hardly believe how well it is doing, but that just goes to show you how efficient and powerful the MCU is.

DP will have no such buffer. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out, but it's not going to get far on existing goodwill, nor novelty, that is for sure.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 04-14-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I will catch this on stream. I hope it is a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Captain Marvel benefited from being an unknown/novel(to mainstream audiences) entity amid a highly beloved, juggernaut of a franchise. I thought the movie was nothing to write home about(not horrible, not very good), so can hardly believe how well it is doing, but that just goes to show you how efficient and powerful the MCU is.

DP will have no such buffer. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out, but it's not going to get far on existing goodwill, nor novelty, that is for sure.
    I think Captain Marvel would have done as well as Ant-Man, Ant-Man & Wasp, and Doctor Strange if it wasn’t teased at in Infinity War.

I think Captain Marvel would have done as well as Ant-Man, Ant-Man & Wasp, and Doctor Strange if it wasn’t teased at in Infinity War.
    I actually like Rudd a lot, but somehow I would rate CM above his movies. DS was a complete misfire for me. I think CM is better than all three of them, but just barely. But she definitely benefited from Nick Fury's page in IW. Just like IM3(the worst MCU film for me) benefited from The Avengers(also not that good...).
    Last edited by yogaflame; 04-14-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Is that the standard now?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Is that the standard now?
    Tank Girl is...