Page 160 of 195 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 2922
  1. #2386
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    What's with such the negative view on Whedon's run? His characterizations of the characters would fit well into the MCU.
    Characterization is his strength, and that's a separate conversation.

    I didn't get into Astonishing's arcs, and I don't see the appeal for translation to the big screen.

    If X-Men never fight aliens again, I'll be happy.

  2. #2387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    What's with such the negative view on Whedon's run? His characterizations of the characters would fit well into the MCU.
    I'll give you he did a good Cyclops(even if his most interesting character work, with Scott psychosomatically creating his 'uncontrollable' power problem, was discarded in the wider franchise), but the whole arc is nonsense fluff.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  3. #2388
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,515

    Default

    I loved almost everything Grant Morrison has done except two runs and one is X-Men I really disliked his era.

  4. #2389
    Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    What's with such the negative view on Whedon's run? His characterizations of the characters would fit well into the MCU.
    They’d fit well into the MCU, but not really in 616 circa 2004 (though Scott and Emma weren’t as bad as some make them out to be).

    And because his run was so popular, it canonized characterizations that they still haven't recovered from. Wolverine as grrrr snikt beer jobber, Beast as a self-loathing and joyless piece of hypocrite shit, Kitty and Colossus one true love (with Colossus being one braincell shy of being entirely braindead).
    Last edited by Maestroneto; 06-15-2019 at 05:51 PM.

  5. #2390
    Mighty Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I'll give you he did a good Cyclops(even if his most interesting character work, with Scott psychosomatically creating his 'uncontrollable' power problem, was discarded in the wider franchise), but the whole arc is nonsense fluff.
    The arc definitely has it's problems, but I've always viewed the run positively because of the team dynamic. The journey is the attraction with that arc in my opinion, not the destination. Therefore, I'd agree with Exodus that his astonishing team could be a great starting point. Not the story, the team, with Storm added in of course because why not.
    "I've done abominable things. I don't ask for forgiveness. I don't deserve it. I'm happy to spend what remains of my life paying for my crimes. But I'd do it all again."
    -Cyclops
    "Life sucks sometimes...but it's always worth living."
    -Spider-man
    "Do not mistake a desire to avoid violence with an ability to deal with it."
    -Wonder Woman

  6. #2391
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I loved almost everything Grant Morrison has done except two runs and one is X-Men I really disliked his era.
    What was the other one?

  7. #2392
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    What was the other one?
    Action Comics I know on both I'm in the minority but I disliked both those runs loved everything else though.

  8. #2393
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,845

    Default

    I was sure you were going to say The Filth. I think all his work past seven soldiers has been spotty and not for me.

  9. #2394
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I was sure you were going to say The Filth. I think all his work past seven soldiers has been spotty and not for me.
    Everything else he did I either loved or neutral due to it being characters I cared little or nothing about but I love Superman and X-Men so when a writer does a run I dislike on them it annoys me more simply because it means there is this long period where I dislike the books. Also his runs had after effects which always reminded me oh yeah he did this

  10. #2395
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,787

    Default

    You guys have been off-topic for a few pages now. Just saying.

  11. #2396
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    You guys have been off-topic for a few pages now. Just saying.
    Dark Phoenix had the Morrison's Costumes somewhat a connection

  12. #2397
    Extraordinary Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    The arc definitely has it's problems, but I've always viewed the run positively because of the team dynamic. The journey is the attraction with that arc in my opinion, not the destination. Therefore, I'd agree with Exodus that his astonishing team could be a great starting point. Not the story, the team, with Storm added in of course because why not.
    It isn't a start point, it is a ending point team. It simply doesn't work

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Dark Phoenix had the Morrison's Costumes somewhat a connection
    It was a weird decision has the 00s costume on a 90s movie.

  13. #2398
    Mighty Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    You guys have been off-topic for a few pages now. Just saying.
    Sorry for adding to it.

    Back on topic, did Dark Phoenix just have the bad luck of multiple factors happening at the right time to damage its box office?
    "I've done abominable things. I don't ask for forgiveness. I don't deserve it. I'm happy to spend what remains of my life paying for my crimes. But I'd do it all again."
    -Cyclops
    "Life sucks sometimes...but it's always worth living."
    -Spider-man
    "Do not mistake a desire to avoid violence with an ability to deal with it."
    -Wonder Woman

  14. #2399
    Extraordinary Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Sorry for adding to it.

    Back on topic, did Dark Phoenix just have the bad luck of multiple factors happening at the right time to damage its box office?
    not really. it is mostly ba weak movie coming out from another weak movie

  15. #2400
    Mighty Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    not really. it is mostly ba weak movie coming out from another weak movie
    Well, unless we remove all of the other factors, it's hard to say if that was the reason and reason alone.
    "I've done abominable things. I don't ask for forgiveness. I don't deserve it. I'm happy to spend what remains of my life paying for my crimes. But I'd do it all again."
    -Cyclops
    "Life sucks sometimes...but it's always worth living."
    -Spider-man
    "Do not mistake a desire to avoid violence with an ability to deal with it."
    -Wonder Woman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •