Page 56 of 207 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Keep in mind a lot of old school comic book fans are extremely sexist and misogynistic. They attempted to bury Captain Marvel, which BLEW it out of the WATER.

I think from the clips I've seen of the movie it's very good, and Sophe's acting was very good. In those few clips from the trailer we saw more development of Jean Grey than we did in all of X-1-X-3.

I think Dark Phoenix will do amazingly fine.

Because this time they got a popular young actress already tied to another franchise, and that always helps bring in viewers. Famke was poorly cast as Jean. Sophie was a much better pick.
    Concerning the bold, there are certainly segments of that in comic fandom (as there are everywhere), I don't think it was comic fans that were driving the Captain Marvel hate train: it seemed like it was being driven by YouTube "culture critics" and other like elements. I didn't notice too much pushback from comic fans, but I don't really pay attention to those boards, so I could be wrong.

I just can't believe the scuttlebutt about Dark Phoenix being a bad movie: there's just so much of it that looks good, and it's got really quality people involved.

In regards to Kinberg being a first-time director, I don't think that's an indication of failure. It's obviously not an indicator of success, either. If I recall correctly, Tim Miller was a first-time director when he did Deadpool, and that worked out well.

I don't hold any aspirations for this movie making huge bank, nor does it particularly matter if it does.

To reiterate what I've said earlier in the thread, this is the end of this iteration of the team: so there won't be any sequel cancellation if it does well nor will there be a sequel created if it makes bank. Heck, the entity that made this movie doesn't legally exist anymore, so it's not like it's beholden to those stockholders. Disney's got a completed movie that they didn't have to spend any money on (at least production costs: I figure they're gonna spend some cash marketing it, as their presentation at CinemaCon showed), and they're gonna release it and cash the checks that come in.

In terms of the fandom, there's always a certain amount of nonsensical d!ck-waving when it comes to box office numbers, which I don't get at all unless you own stock in the company, but this particular era of the franchise is ending. The MCU versions of these characters are going to happen: that's a definitive statement. So the fans of the current/old era of the franchise get this film to wrap everything up in a (hopefully) nice bow.

It's really quite an interesting phenomenon.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

BoX office is probably the most definitive way to measure overall interest... how big of a draw any given project actually is. In a traditional sense, anyway.

But yeah, quality always outweighs success, of course. However, ideally, art & business should manage to be on somewhat equal footing. I would imagine that's the hope of most, from all levels of involvement.

This isn't a surprise at all. Pretty much all talk about movie X-Men recently has been over the future MCU movies. This also shows why Feige shelving the franchise for at least 5 years is necessary. They need to let it sit for a bit

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    This isn't a surprise at all. Pretty much all talk about movie X-Men recently has been over the future MCU movies. This also shows why Feige shelving the franchise for at least 5 years is necessary. They need to let it sit for a bit
    The next X-Men movies will be out in 2021. They are not shelving the franchise. Dream on. Deadpool and Deadpool and X-Force are already being worked on, as Disney is retaining them 100 percent.

That didn't stop Deadpool 2 from making nearly $800 million at the box office, so I don't think it's entirely accurate to say the X-Men franchise is losing momentum. Deadpool and Deadpool 2 were good, fun movies that appealed to X-Men fans and superhero movie fans in general. It had a tone that managed to stand out in a crowded superhero market. I don't think X-Men Apocalypse did enough to stand out, but I think Dark Phoenix could, given its different tone and themes. I think it's in the best interest of both the franchise and the MCU for Dark Phoenix to succeed. Even if Feige decided to hold off on major X-Men movies for a while, it can only help the brand if its final entry was a success.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

The reasoning for the estimates are not really good. For some reason they think fans matter when it comes to Box Office after Venom destroyed that idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    That didn't stop Deadpool 2 from making nearly $800 million at the box office, so I don't think it's entirely accurate to say the X-Men franchise is losing momentum. Deadpool and Deadpool 2 were good, fun movies that appealed to X-Men fans and superhero movie fans in general. It had a tone that managed to stand out in a crowded superhero market. I don't think X-Men Apocalypse did enough to stand out, but I think Dark Phoenix could, given its different tone and themes. I think it's in the best interest of both the franchise and the MCU for Dark Phoenix to succeed. Even if Feige decided to hold off on major X-Men movies for a while, it can only help the brand if its final entry was a success.
    And because Deadpool did so well, he has been ASSURED his place in MCU.

From the trailers I've seen Sophie's acting has been amazing. I'm sure she'll get to cross over to MCU too.

The next X-Men movies will be out in 2021. They are not shelving the franchise. Dream on. Deadpool and Deadpool and X-Force are already being worked on, as Disney is retaining them 100 percent.
    Deadpool is the exception since he can exist in just about any format. The Deadpool movies are literally more successful than the mainline X-Men movies. Dark Phoenix is probably gonna make less than Apocalypse which itself wasn't that big a hit. Hell, a rated R, non-comedic Wolverine movie outgrossed the last the X-Men film. That's a problem.

The main X-Men team will probably be on ice for the next phase as he said. The audience just don't care for the franchise much anymore so it's best to let them forget about the Fox ones and let Feige relaunch it at his own time which will prob be either near the end of Phase 4 or beginning of Phase 5
    Last edited by The Kid; 04-15-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

From the trailers I've seen Sophie's acting has been amazing. I'm sure she'll get to cross over to MCU too.
    I honestly doubt sophie or anybody else from the current cast will cross to the MCU.

maybe it will be for the best to start from zero.

DP won't be in the MCU. He works because he is R-rated. The MCU works because it isn't.

Hell, a rated R, non-comedic Wolverine movie outgrossed the last the X-Men film.
    And why do you think that happened?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    And why do you think that happened?
    Because the stupid negative hype surrounding "Apocalypse". And it was a global hit anyway, thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Because the stupid negative hype surrounding "Apocalypse". And it was a global hit anyway, thank God.
    47/% on RT. Lowest grossing X-film. I wouldn't call it a "global hit"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Box office was very good, despite the odds.

X-Men: Apocalypse grossed $155.4 million in the U.S. and Canada and $388.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $543.9 million against a budget of $178 million.[2] The film is the fourth-highest-grossing film in the X-Men series (without adjusting for inflation), behind Deadpool, Logan, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.[96]

I don't care about those sites. The movie was fantastic. Critics, disappointed fanboys, whoever... I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The lowest grossing X-film was the Wolverine.