Page 141 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 3103

It's over. Fox is dead.

Now let us begin to heal. As a long-divided fandom.

Long live the X-Men!
    Last edited by Wolverine12; 06-09-2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Enough snark in this thread already. Nobody lost anything.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The biggest problem besides the lackluster script is you can just tell Kinberg is not a director. He has no sense of flow or how to have actors perform their lines. Kinberg has always had to much control of this franchise and giving him total control was just an epic mistake. You can see why Fox went out of business with decision making like this at the helm. They knew their biggest franchise was in trouble and instead of getting in some new blood like they did with Logan they just let the man who drove the franchise into the ditch to begin with have more control.

With a real director this movie might have been saved, but when you have someone who has never directed anything at the helm of a summer blockbuster this is what you get.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The biggest problem besides the lackluster script is you can just tell Kinberg is not a director. He has no sense of flow or how to have actors perform their lines. Kinberg has always had to much control of this franchise and giving him total control was just an epic mistake. You can see why Fox went out of business with decision making like this at the helm. They knew their biggest franchise was in trouble and instead of getting in some new blood like they did with Logan they just let the man who drove the franchise into the ditch to begin with have more control.

With a real director this movie might have been saved, but when you have someone who has never directed anything at the helm of a summer blockbuster this is what you get.
    I think that is more of a dialogue issue.

Always interesting to see the reaction to the Fox movies, seems like there is no middle ground with these people either love and defend them to an extreme degree or act like they are insulting distasteful trash that personally offended them.

Overall I thought Dark Phoenix was alright, certainly not great or even good but not the dumpster fire some people seem to be trying to make it. I think the big problem with this movie is the move to marvel, clearly fox thought they were going to keep the characters in that this seemed like it was supposed to be the middle chapter of the story and instead was forced into the grand finale and it fails in that regard because it was not supposed to be that. Also it certainly seems incredibly popular to just trash any movie that is not MCU and highlight issues in these movie and make a huge deal out of them while ignoring them in MCU movies. Kinda seems like people often complain about X-men movies because stories get changed, that characters don't get enough focus, lack of costumes and that things seem rushed at times, yet marvel does the same exact things with a ton of characters and anyone who points it out is a labeled a hater who is just knitpicking. I really love the MCU and they certainly do things better than fox but it kinda seems like people trash these movies to an extreme degree so that the whole "let marvel have the rights" argument can be made. Will just be interesting in 5 years or so when the first MCU X-men movie comes out to see what the reaction is, kinda seems like the only universal popular thing with X-men fans right now is to hate everything that comes out be it comics or movies. Also is interesting to me that now that the oh so perfect MCU has the X-men that we are going to have the better part of a decade with no X-men movie content at all.

I did think this movie used Cyclops far better than any other, not that it's a high bar to clear but still he seemed closer to being Cyke from the comics that ever before. Fassbender and Mccavoy were great again in their roles and it's sad that this is all we will see of them. I did think the movie missed wolverine but I am absolutely biased and while I think he would improve things he was by no means the reason this movie wasn't great. Overall I think it is incredibly sad that X-men franchise basically revived the Superhero movie and launched pretty much all the CBM's we have now by being so successful and yet it ends with very little fanfare and as kind of an afterthought, which is sad because while they have been far from perfect films they get trashed way too harshly.
    Last edited by regg215; 06-08-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Always interesting to see the reaction to the Fox movies, seems like there is no middle ground with these people either love and defend them to an extreme degree or act like they are insulting distasteful trash that personally offended them.

Overall I thought Dark Phoenix was alright, certainly not great or even good but not the dumpster fire some people seem to be trying to make it. I think the big problem with this movie is the move to marvel, clearly fox thought they were going to keep the characters in that this seemed like it was supposed to be the middle chapter of the story and instead was forced into the grand finale and it fails in that regard because it was not supposed to be that. Also it certainly seems incredibly popular to just trash any movie that is not MCU and highlight issues in these movie and make a huge deal out of them while ignoring them in MCU movies. Kinda seems like people often complain about X-men movies because stories get changed, that characters don't get enough focus, lack of costumes and that things seem rushed at times, yet marvel does the same exact things with a ton of characters and anyone who points it out is a labeled a hater who is just knitpicking. I really love the MCU and they certainly do things better than fox but it kinda seems like people trash these movies to an extreme degree so that the whole "let marvel have the rights" argument can be made. Will just be interesting in 5 years or so when the first MCU X-men movie comes out to see what the reaction is, kinda seems like the only universal popular thing with X-men fans right now is to hate everything that comes out be it comics or movies. Also is interesting to me that now that the oh so perfect MCU has the X-men that we are going to have the better part of a decade with no X-men movie content at all.

I did think this movie used Cyclops far better than any other, not that it's a high bar to clear but still he seemed closer to being Cyke from the comics that ever before. Fassbender and Mccavoy were great again in their roles and it's sad that this is all we will see of them. I did think the movie missed wolverine but I am absolutely biased and while I think he would improve things he was by no means the reason this movie wasn't great. Overall I think it is incredibly sad that X-men franchise basically revived the Superhero movie and launched pretty much all the CBM's we have now by being so successful and yet it ends with very little fanfare and as kind of an afterthought, which is sad because while they have been far from perfect films they get trashed way too harshly.
    The original X-movies were the forerunners. For the first time, we had comic movies that, while not really following the source material, didn't suck. X-1 was very watchable. X-2 was excellent. They weren't masterpieces, but they were fun comic movies that felt like they understood the characters a little. They set that standard, and when X-3 and Origins: Wolverine fell extremely short of expectations, it created a lot of backlash. Then First Class tried again, and was awesome. Once again, expectations went to the heavens. But DoFP was polarizing, and Apocalypse was not great. That constant jump of good, then bad is what created this split and strong emotions regarding the series.

Stay on topic, folks. Talk about the film, not each other.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Astonishing Member

In some ways I wish Fox wasn't sold to Disney just to see what the company would have done with the X-Men franchise after this huge mishap. Would they have cancelled all X-projects that didn't involve Deadpool? Would they have left the X-Men alone for a long time? I wonder what is going to happen to Kinberg after this.

Can we please post this as a sticky for the thread of the next movie? So much truth in this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    But DoFP was polarizing, and Apocalypse was not great. That constant jump of good, then bad is what created this split and strong emotions regarding the series.
    DoFP polarizing? Thats news to me. I thought it was generally seen as the series best.

I do agree with the second sentence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    In some ways I wish Fox wasn't sold to Disney just to see what the company would have done with the X-Men franchise after this huge mishap. Would they have cancelled all X-projects that didn't involve Deadpool? Would they have left the X-Men alone for a long time? I wonder what is going to happen to Kinberg after this.
    It would be justice if this ends his hollywood career of any note. It's not hard to make the case that he took a franchise that had critical and audience appeal and slowly strangled it to death.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    It would be justice if this ends his hollywood career of any note. It's not hard to make the case that he took a franchise that had critical and audience appeal and slowly strangled it to death.
    Considering he wrote F4 latest and Apocalypse and was rewarded with the director's chair, probably nothing.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I dont think its fair to say people trash movies that are not mcu. why cant it just be these criticisms come from a place of genuinely not enjoying the fox-movies. I have been very vocal about my distaste for everything fox has done with xmen franchise; however, I can also acknowledge the aspects of the avenger films I didnt like. this being said even with all of the liberties Disney has taken with the avengers the company as a whole has done much better in investing in a wide variety of characters by developing them and the company has embraced the comic book characteristics as well. Fox didnt do this and made an effort to keep the movies "grounded" while also only focusing on four to five characters. fox had 20 years to strengthen their franchise but instead they went with gimmicks by focusing their stories around the actor who was the hottest at a given period. I for one think the harsh criticism is deserved and it's time for something fresh and different
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-08-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I dont think its fair to say people trash movies that are not mcu. why cant it just be these criticisms come from a place of genuinely not enjoying the fox-movies. I have been very vocal about my distaste for everything fox has done with xmen franchise; however, I can also acknowledge the aspects of the avenger films I didnt like. this being said even with all of the liberties Disney has taken with the avengers the company as a whole has done much better in investing in a wide variety of characters by developing them and the company has embraced the comic book characteristics as well. Fox didnt do this and made an effort to keep the movies "grounded" while also only focusing four to five characters. fox had 20 years to strengthen their franchise but instead they went with gimmicks by focusing their stories around the actor who was the hottest at a given period. I for one think the harsh criticism is deserved and it's time for something fresh and different
    Marvel's handled their characters better, but if we were to just judge both franchises based on their individual films and critique them as movies rather than comic book movies, Marvel seems to get a pass on a lot of stuff that the X-Men get heavily criticized for.

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Marvel's handled their characters better, but if we were to just judge both franchises based on their individual films and critique them as movies rather than comic book movies, Marvel seems to get a pass on a lot of stuff that the X-Men get heavily criticized for.
    An example such as?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    can you give an example of what you mean?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Incredible Member

Just saw it. Very forgettable. The movie adaptations of the Phoenix fail to portray it as a true cosmic force. The D-Bari came out of nowhere and nothing Jean did was comparable to what Magneto did in DOFP and Apocalypse.