Page 100 of 207 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 3103

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I don't think she had the time for being known as Jean. It's a major problem of stunt casting
    Sophie admitted she won the role of Jean over another actress (believed to be Saoirse Ronan) due to her social media following:

“I auditioned for a project and it was between me and another girl who is a far better actress than I am, far better, but I had the followers, so I got the job,” Turner told Porter, per The Telegraph. “It's not right, but it is part of the movie industry now.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...r-social-media

Film studios want metrics they can use to decide on casting. Studio execs think the lead actors have much greater role in deciding whether people go see a movie and they can use social media as a metric.

But Sophie's social media following isn't just because people want to see her in movies. Most of the Game of Thrones cast isn't active on social media, but Sophie, Isaac and Maisie have been since the beginning of the show.

The casting for Game of Thrones was done by Nina Gold who's gone on now to cast the Star Wars sequels and is going to be credited with discovering a large number of well-known actors. So, casting Sophie over Saoirse or a more established actress wasn't out of the ordinary. Plenty of young actors are discovered on tv shows and go on to large roles immediately. The problem is Sophie is playing Sansa (a pretty annoying characters who for most of the series viewers rather hate due to scenes like this in Season 1 of GoT) and Sophie was cast as Sansa due to her chemistry in a screentest with Maisie Williams (her BFFs who's playing Rahne in the New Mutants movie).

I think film execs can't figure out why MCU movies succeed and people love the actors in the roles, but other franchises aren't as successful. They want to use social media followers as a way to determine if people "like" an actor. But I'm not sure people actually really like Sophie or like the fact she posts pictures from the Game of Thrones set on Instagram.

IMO, Sophie was miscast as Jean, but I'm not sure anyone else would do a better job due to the way Jean is being written.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Goddamn it, if they really didn't cast, Sarsoise Ronan, the greatest actress of her generation, over Twitter followers, this franchise just has to die anyway.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Toxic fan culture has a new target - the Stark kids. Sophie has been defending the showrunners (Dan and David), so she's a target. Isaac Hempstead Wright has gotten death threats on social media from the Dany fans. It's insane.

I feel bad for Sophie having to do so much press right now. HBO called for a social media blackout a week after the GoT finale aired, so the showrunners haven't done interviews. The rest of the cast has been mostly off social media and not doing interviews, but Sophie is on a massive press tour for Dark Phoenix.

I'm not sure it will impact Dark Phoenix, but Sophie is so associated with the role of Sansa and people have strong feelings about her character which may be negative. Back when the first teaser trailer for X-Men: Acopalypse was being tested, people weren't told what the trailer was for there was quite a few responses of "OMG, Game of Thrones" on the opening shot of Sophie and then disappointment that it wasn't Game of Thrones. That's pretty much the weirdest reason I've heard a trailer hasn't tested well - people are upset it's not Game of Thrones. I'm not sure if Sophie has broken the association with Sansa enough that people see her as Jean. I don't, but I'm an long time ASOIAF reader.
    Dany stans are also talking **** about Jessica Chastain because she openly dislikes their faves and likes Sansa.

Sophie admitted she won the role of Jean over another actress (believed to be Saoirse Ronan) due to her social media following:

“I auditioned for a project and it was between me and another girl who is a far better actress than I am, far better, but I had the followers, so I got the job,” Turner told Porter, per The Telegraph. “It's not right, but it is part of the movie industry now.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...r-social-media

Film studios want metrics they can use to decide on casting. Studio execs think the lead actors have much greater role in deciding whether people go see a movie and they can use social media as a metric.

But Sophie's social media following isn't just because people want to see her in movies. Most of the Game of Thrones cast isn't active on social media, but Sophie, Isaac and Maisie have been since the beginning of the show.

The casting for Game of Thrones was done by Nina Gold who's gone on now to cast the Star Wars sequels and is going to be credited with discovering a large number of well-known actors. So, casting Sophie over Saoirse or a more established actress wasn't out of the ordinary. Plenty of young actors are discovered on tv shows and go on to large roles immediately. The problem is Sophie is playing Sansa (a pretty annoying characters who for most of the series viewers rather hate due to scenes like this in Season 1 of GoT) and Sophie was cast as Sansa due to her chemistry in a screentest with Maisie Williams (her BFFs who's playing Rahne in the New Mutants movie).

I think film execs can't figure out why MCU movies succeed and people love the actors in the roles, but other franchises aren't as successful. They want to use social media followers as a way to determine if people "like" an actor. But I'm not sure people actually really like Sophie or like the fact she posts pictures from the Game of Thrones set on Instagram.

IMO, Sophie was miscast as Jean, but I'm not sure anyone else would do a better job due to the way Jean is being written.
    There is very few actors who can still attract box office. Majority of people go for the franchise, thi sis why MCU has mostly new actors. I remember someone posting a article that said that Marvel wouldn't make money from Thor because Tom And Chris were not known actors.

Sophie was clearly a stunt casting "oh look that redhead from the tv show, let's cast her as Jean grey then". The decision being based on followers on social media is even more laughable.

I don't think it was going to be Saoirse, I think it was going to be Elle Fanning. She was on the concept art. At least they dodged a bullet

The kid who plays Cyclops is also miscast as hell. I think the younger cast was a downgrade
    Last edited by spirit2011; 05-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    They look cute. I have problems with some of the cast choices but i still feel sorry for them, they seem to be good people.

BANNED

I'm not sure if she was the right choice for Jean, but I'm sure as hell that the Cyclops choice was awful.

Just awful. It sorta makes me happy the character has been so buried because the writing and casting of one of the X-men's staples has been unforgivably bad.

The problem with Tye and Shipp is that they were cast as teen Scott and Ororo, but now the next movie is supposed to be 10 years after that, and they aren't convincing as adult versions of their characters at all(Sophie on the other hand looks convincing enough as an adult Jean Grey imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    The problem with Tye and Shipp is that they were cast as teen Scott and Ororo, but now the next movie is supposed to be 10 years after that, and they aren't convincing as adult versions of their characters at all(Sophie on the other hand looks convincing enough as an adult Jean Grey imo).
    Shipp is in her mid-20s though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Shipp is in her mid-20s though.
    Appearance vs reality.

I'm going to watch this movie twice opening weekend.
    Btw, I just realized that both JLaw and Kodi (Nightcrawler) have missed most of the press tour.
    Last edited by MaddieGrey; 05-27-2019 at 07:30 PM.

BANNED

People like both Sansa's character and Turner's acting: https://www.insider.com/game-of-thro...rmances-2019-4

Extraordinary Member

I feel like Saoirse Ronan is lucky she didn't get Jean, or for that matter another part she was considered for, Scarlet Witch (a more popular movie franchise but a small part). I don't think she'd have as many Oscar nominations if she'd been tied down to a big franchise.

I don't think casting is the problem with most of these movies anyway. Most of these actors would do fine if they knew who their characters were. Or just been told to basically make up a new character and never mind any other version, like Evan Peters successfully did.
    Last edited by gurkle; 05-27-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Casting Sophie for the role might pay off. I’ve seen many people on social media say that want to see it because it’s the Queen in The North as the star of a Marvel movie.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 05-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Not like this has ever really mattered much in this series since the First Class soft reboot.. Magneto and Xavier didnt really age appropriately with each 10 year time jump

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Casting Sophie for the role might pay off. I’ve many people on social media say that want to see it’s the Queen in The North as the star of a Marvel movie.
    Thats bc of GOT, not bc of her role here

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    People like both Sansa's character and Turner's acting: https://www.insider.com/game-of-thro...rmances-2019-4
    I like Sophie as Sansa quite a bit and feel that she’s underrated in that role. I haven’t cared much for her as Jean so far, but hopefully that will change.